Terrible Feeling

This is a discussion on Terrible Feeling within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was awaken this morning at 2:24am, not to a strange sound, but lack there of. At around 224 i woke up to find the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Terrible Feeling

Terrible Feeling

I was awaken this morning at 2:24am, not to a strange sound, but lack there of.
    At around 224 i woke up to find the noise of my fan, air conditioner, and clock all off.
    I quickly realized the power was out.
    On any stormy night this wouldn't have been any problem and i wouldn't have thought twice about it but it wasn't storming and there was no "pop" from a transformer tripping.
    This is where i started to get really weirded out.
    I sat up in my bed and was convinced i heard someone walking around downstairs. (squeaky hardwood floors)
    I was wide awake by this point and the thoughts started running though my head. Roommate? No he is in Boston, drunken friend? nope no one has a key.
    I get out of my bed and go to get my pistol, my heart falls. I have sent it in to S&W for repair.
    I slip my pants on and grab my knife out of my back pocket open it and make my way to the door, in the exact opposite corner of the room.
    I took about 3 steps when the floor started to creek under my feet and i froze. Because the knife was my only form of defense i didn't want anyone to know i was awake, if in fact there was someone in the house.
    I stood there like an old oak tree for about 5 min. or so but as you could imagine, it felt like an hour.
    I heard a door shut then no other noised were heard so i sat on my bed in the dark for a few moments to listen.
    Not even 3 min after i heard the door the power comes back on, fans clock air, everything.
    I made my way down stairs and all doors were lock and there were no signs of anything missing.
    Just really creeped me out and i intend to call friends, landlord, everyone to see if they stopped by for a bite to eat or to snag my beer or something.
    Just thought id share that with y'all and see what everyone else would have done.

2. Remove Ads

Great steaming gutpiles man! I would hope I didn't have a landlord or friends stupid enough to enter my abode at night without announcing themselves, loudly, until I responded. It's stupid, not overly legal and a great way to get hurt bad or killed. I'd be doing some stern talking if I found out who it was for sure. I'd have been on the 911 line as well! No weapon would not be making me feel real good about that point as well. I guess there's a good reason for owning at least one more.
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

Absolutly, i am currently looking for a secondary piece, especialy after this past night.

Lead Moderator
    Sounds pretty strange. Call the electric co. , see if there was a power interruption.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

You need a shotgun and a flashlight, dude.

Yeah, flashlight. Surefire is pretty much the name of the game, in high-intensity, but my Inova 5x is my night table light- lasts forever.

Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar
    I've been in similar situations, man. Friends have come over at 2 or 3 in the morning expecting me to be up - with no such luck. The door shutting and the subsequent dog barkage usually wakes me up. I would always slide out of bed and trot out to the hallway, .40 and Surefire at the ready.

No one who has ever had to meet me like this has ever come back at night without calling first. My buddy Daniel actually farted when I whispered "Don't ****ing move." Its a good thing he wasn't a BG because I almost died laughing after I realized who it was.
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

DMR
    You live in Jackson Miss. and only own one gun????? Come On.....

You need a lot more firepower than that. Maybe it was the mayor doing a home inspection?

http://www.jacksonfreepress.com/prin...d=10627_0_27_0

Administrator

If you're positive that somebody was in there then get your locks changed or add a heavy sliding deadbolt for when you folks are sleeping in there.

It possible that somebody tripped the circuit breaker or unscrewed the fuse to your place before going in or it's possible that one event had nothing to do with the other and that the power outage and the ingress were unrelated.

No matter. You must take steps to prevent it from happening again.

If there was no sign of forced entry then either you left the door unlocked or an expert lock picker got in OR more likely somebody has a copy of the key.

Somebody knew your room mate was in Boston...possibly thought he lived alone or everybody was gone and decided to go in and have a look at what was up for easy grabs in your living space.

Who lived there BEFORE you guys moved in? Were the locks changed before you moved in? If you're banking on the previous residents "Turning In Their Keys" then one of them had a copy made before he turned his original in.

Five minutes in any hardware store and $3.00 is all it takes for any previous resident to be able to waltz right into any apartment or dorm room that they have ever lived in...unless the locks were changed.

My advice is to take whatever positive measures are necessary to insure that you can go to sleep knowing that some unknown stranger cannot just walk right in undetected.

Maybe its just me but I have a hard time believing that someone prepared enough to shut of the electrcity in a house would just slink away when they realize someone is in the house...that and they would be considerate enough to turn it back on when they leave. Stranger things have happened but...
    Last edited by rvacoastie; September 12th, 2006 at 03:20 PM.

Also, a BG couldn't have locked the door behind himself. Maybe the roommate has given the key to some he thought he could trust or the previous residents are a little less than savory.

It may have been something harmless as a room mates friend but still very, very stupid!
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

Several Additional Guns...

should be your first approach...one being a shotgun. I second the light idea...a bright one...Surefire has many to choose from...
    I would not be walking around my 'dark' house without a good light with a potential BG or not.

Good Luck and stay safe(r)!!!!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Humm, I would at least put in a dead bolt.

Apartment managers don't like that and will say that you can't do that. It doesn't matter, do it anyway.

Most apartments have a master key so if you change the locks then it won't work and I think you are allowed to add a dead bolt (give them a copy of the key) but not the main locks.

Landlords, apartment managers, staff ARE NOT allowed to enter your apartment without first advanced notice (spraying for bugs, work, etc..) or in an emergency. They also have to knock first and wait before entering unless it is an emergency (fire in your place, busted water line, things that could damage alot of stuff really quick.

But, that is weird.

Wayne

After a day of investigation i have figured it out. Neighbors knocked the power out doing whatever it was they were doing. Breaker pannel is on my back deck, the only one for the place. The door slam was, as best i can figure, was the screen door behind them. Everything seems it has turned out to be innocent but it has turned a few lights on for me. I own a surefire, its new home is going to be on my nightstand beside me. Im going to folks house and getting my ole trusty 12 guage. Actively looking for a secondary pistol. Last but not least, dead bolts. My landlord happens to be my room mates mom, so im sure its fine. Thanks for the insites and be safe.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links