mythbuster 6/10 dont bring a knife to a gun fight - Page 3

mythbuster 6/10 dont bring a knife to a gun fight

This is a discussion on mythbuster 6/10 dont bring a knife to a gun fight within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The 21 foot rule most definitely applies to CC. As stated by others there are times that an individual may approach such as a gas ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree51Likes

Thread: mythbuster 6/10 dont bring a knife to a gun fight

The 21 foot rule most definitely applies to CC. As stated by others there are times that an individual may approach such as a gas pump etc where you need to be aware of the distance in case they have a plan that may be less than pleasant. Of course you cannot apply the rule to all situations in your life, sidewalks, lines, shopping, whatever and you may be the victim of a random attack with no warning.

Many years ago I was walking to class on a college campus, talking to a couple friends not really watching what was going on. The were about 40,000 students on campus so you were always in close proximity in common areas. All of a sudden I got sucker punched by a guy walking past. I staggered and things got a little grey but didn't go down. My friends were both female and started yelling at the guy. I recovered in a couple seconds and threw the guy down and kneeled on the back of his neck until campus police arrived. Turns out he thought I was the guy that stole his girl friend, I was not, never even heard of him or the girl.

Sometimes stuff just happens and there is nothing you can do but be prepared to respond.

I watched this last night. They pretty much came to the conclusion that 18ft was the max range where you would be able to draw (from a low-slung, cowboy style holster), cock and de-safety your weapon, and fire on the attacker before he got you. It was entertaining, but not particularly useful, from a CC perspective. The dragon rocket was more interesting.

I think a more useful question to answer would by why anyone would go to a gunfight without cocking and taking the safety off their weapon.
    JDE101 likes this.
    "Your mind is the weapon, all the rest are just tools." --gasmitty

Distinguished Member Array tcox4freedom's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Moops View Post
    I watched this last night. They pretty much came to the conclusion that 18ft was the max range where you would be able to draw (from a low-slung, cowboy style holster), cock and de-safety your weapon, and fire on the attacker before he got you. It was entertaining, but not particularly useful, from a CC perspective. The dragon rocket was more interesting.

I think a more useful question to answer would by why anyone would go to a gunfight without cocking and taking the safety off their weapon.
    Plus 1+

I know I am preaching to the choir for a lot of the members on this forum but for the newbies here we go:

Just like Miranda warning is not a "right" the 21 foot rule distance is not a "rule".

You frequently hear and see about the "Miranda right" not being read.. that refers to the 5th amendment right against self incrimination.

The "21 foot rule" is actually a minimum distance used in the Tueller drill to practice and become aware of the distance from which an assailant can cause serious or fatal injuries. For the concealed carrier they must be aware that a BG can close that distance and disable you from 21 feet away (more if you are not quick to recognize the threat). That is because of the time it takes to perceive and react to the threat.

The main lesson I think is for us to maintain our situational awareness and be cognizant that a BG can do you serious harm from that distance. That is one of the reasons for a timed shot from retention drill and keeping that time to a minimum (i.e., 1.5-2 seconds)

Hence crossing the street in advance, maintaining separation at other times, etc..
    Yoda, I am, yes.

Distinguished Member
    It was an interesting episode. I have it recorded on my computer (using Windows Home Media) which is hooked up to the cable. I wasn't fully paying attention to it all so I want to watch it over while getting a chance to pay closer attention (for enjoyment's sake).
    EDC - Glock 21C, M&P Shield .40 OR Ruger SR1911 CMD AND
    Ruger LCP in Desantis Pocket Holster (backup)
    Member - SAF, OFF,
    NRA Life Member

I dislike the show, in general. But I DVR'd this episode and found it kinda interesting. The knife-wielder attacked quickly - that part was done well.

As others have said, the episode validated heightened situational awareness at all times.

-
    'Be careful, even in small matters' - Miyamoto Musashi

The episode totally validated the "Move-Shoot-Live" concept.

Even the simple side-step taught by the modern technique schools would have saved the shooter. Imagine how much better the shooter would fare by exploding off the x and returning fire as taught by the more progressive instructors.

VIP Member
    To anyone that recorded it is it possible to send me a link, video anything so I can watch it?
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

Quote Originally Posted by tacman605 View Post
    To anyone that recorded it is it possible to send me a link, video anything so I can watch it?
    It is is on the website for mythbusters. Just do a google search

Sent from my 300 baud modem

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    I know I am preaching to the choir for a lot of the members on this forum but for the newbies here we go:

Just like Miranda warning is not a "right" the 21 foot rule distance is not a "rule".

You frequently hear and see about the "Miranda right" not being read.. that refers to the 5th amendment right against self incrimination.

The "21 foot rule" is actually a minimum distance used in the Tueller drill to practice and become aware of the distance from which an assailant can cause serious or fatal injuries. For the concealed carrier they must be aware that a BG can close that distance and disable you from 21 feet away (more if you are not quick to recognize the threat). That is because of the time it takes to perceive and react to the threat.

The main lesson I think is for us to maintain our situational awareness and be cognizant that a BG can do you serious harm from that distance. That is one of the reasons for a timed shot from retention drill and keeping that time to a minimum (i.e., 1.5-2 seconds)

Hence crossing the street in advance, maintaining separation at other times, etc..
    I wasn't very clear on the 21 feet. That actually is the distance that someone without a firearm can cause you harm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yoda, I am, yes.

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Moops View Post
    I watched this last night. They pretty much came to the conclusion that 18ft was the max range where you would be able to draw (from a low-slung, cowboy style holster), cock and de-safety your weapon, and fire on the attacker before he got you.
    Since most CC people carry "ready to go", I considered the having to "cock" the weapon a big flaw in the experiment. But it was still better than that "shooter in the classroom" farce of a few years ago!
    tcox4freedom likes this.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Been waiting for a cheap excuse to post this vid and drawing a SA from a cowboy holster is probably as close a reason as I'll come across. Sammy just may negate Tueller drill rules. OK, I know this isn't real life but it's a fun view. Believe it or not, they say Jerry Lewis was even faster.
    Sammy Davis Gun Spinning - YouTube!

Distinguished Member Array tcox4freedom's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tolduonce View Post
    Been waiting for a cheap excuse to post this vid and drawing a SA from a cowboy holster is probably as close a reason as I'll come across. Sammy just may negate Tueller drill rules. OK, I know this isn't real life but it's a fun view. Believe it or not, they say Jerry Lewis was even faster.
    Sammy Davis Gun Spinning - YouTube!
    I remember seeing this. He was GREAT at handling a cowboy pistol. I never heard that about Jerry Lewis either.

Thanks for sharing.

Distinguished Member Array BigStick's Avatar
    Once again, while watching the show I couldn't keep myself from thinking about all of the ways they could make the experiments better/more realistic/practical.

It was entertaining to watch, but really didn't discover anything groundbreaking (big surprise).
    JDE101 likes this.
    Walk softly ...

Concerning the MB video posted earlier, in the comparison testing of shooting styles, they should have used these sights for the gangster method:
    Attached Images
    GrandZJ likes this.
    ~~~~~
    The only common sense gun legislation was written about 224 years ago.

I carry always not because I go places trouble is likely, but because trouble has a habit of not staying in its assigned zone.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links