mythbuster 6/10 dont bring a knife to a gun fight

This is a discussion on mythbuster 6/10 dont bring a knife to a gun fight within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have repeatedly made hits on man-sized steel at 100+yds with several pistols. Even my G26 (before I had it milled for a red dot ...

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Like Tree51Likes

Thread: mythbuster 6/10 dont bring a knife to a gun fight

I have repeatedly made hits on man-sized steel at 100+yds with several pistols.

Even my G26 (before I had it milled for a red dot sight)

2. Remove Ads

The trick if someone is charging you is to off line. I prefer to move to my strong side. If there are multiple opponents stack them, using one against the other. Very few criminals train to fight as a team. From my experience one good fighter can defeat several mediocre fighters at once.

I'm the guy next door that is polite, but does not tell you crap.
    Quote Originally Posted by BigStick View Post
    I think the thing that bothered me the most about the show was that they didn't keep one in the chamber. They didn't endorse that as the proper way to carry or anything, but I can just see how thousands of people who only know about carrying a gun what they saw there, will now think that that is the proper way to carry for defensive purposes. It was a painfully slow draw to watch every time, thinking how much time he was wasting.
    Dude, its california (your should see the DOJ Safety Handgun test, actually, you can online) and they are overseen by Progressive Masters.

I'll bet there was a pre-production fight over that very issue, and then liability came into play.

Afterall, they did shoot a cannonball from Camp Parks into Dublin, through a couple of houses, that ended up in the dashboard of a parked mini-van....

Agree with your setiments.

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    I know I am preaching to the choir for a lot of the members on this forum but for the newbies here we go:

Just like Miranda warning is not a "right" the 21 foot rule distance is not a "rule".

You frequently hear and see about the "Miranda right" not being read.. that refers to the 5th amendment right against self incrimination.

The "21 foot rule" is actually a minimum distance used in the Tueller drill to practice and become aware of the distance from which an assailant can cause serious or fatal injuries. For the concealed carrier they must be aware that a BG can close that distance and disable you from 21 feet away (more if you are not quick to recognize the threat). That is because of the time it takes to perceive and react to the threat.

Edit to Add: exactly what is the Myth they were trying to bust anyway?

The main lesson I think is for us to maintain our situational awareness and be cognizant that a BG can do you serious harm from that distance. That is one of the reasons for a timed shot from retention drill and keeping that time to a minimum (i.e., 1.5-2 seconds)

Hence crossing the street in advance, maintaining separation at other times, etc..
    Exactly, if you are carrying concealed, the person with the knife should not know it and you should have the awareness not to let him get closer than 21feet. The drill was developed basically to help justify why a cop shot and attacker and to show that you are not safe if you let a knife wielding attacker get too close and the testing showed that "too close" was under 21 feet.
    tcox4freedom likes this.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Links