mythbuster 6/10 dont bring a knife to a gun fight

This is a discussion on mythbuster 6/10 dont bring a knife to a gun fight within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; mythbusters doing tueller drills next week, looks like it'll be a show and bring this fact out more main stream...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 64
Like Tree51Likes

Thread: mythbuster 6/10 dont bring a knife to a gun fight

  1. #1
    Member Array Hruk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    WI
    Posts
    31

    mythbuster 6/10 dont bring a knife to a gun fight

    mythbusters doing tueller drills next week, looks like it'll be a show and bring this fact out more main stream

  2. Remove Ads

  3. #2
    RKM
    RKM is offline
    Distinguished Member Array RKM's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    1,822
    The craziest thing is, the second I opened this thread, I heard my TV in the background run the commercial for next weeks episode. Haha, kind of scary.

    Anyway, I think up close an personal, a knife will win in a gun fight. Knives can inflict some serious damage within contact distance. Plus, even if you can get a shot off by the time a guy reaches you from 21 feet, they've still got momentum and adrenaline. You're still likely to get stabbed or sliced up, unless you move. A side step or two or even back peddling will make the tueller drill much more effective. But I guess we'll have to see what Adam and Jamie find out :)

  4. #3
    Member Array Sebass's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    California
    Posts
    36
    I usually never watch Mythbusters but will for this episode...

  5. #4
    VIP Member
    Array ANGLICO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    I'm the guy next door that is polite, but does not tell you crap.
    Posts
    3,485
    Quote Originally Posted by RKM View Post
    The craziest thing is, the second I opened this thread, I heard my TV in the background run the commercial for next weeks episode. Haha, kind of scary.

    Anyway, I think up close an personal, a knife will win in a gun fight. Knives can inflict some serious damage within contact distance. Plus, even if you can get a shot off by the time a guy reaches you from 21 feet, they've still got momentum and adrenaline. You're still likely to get stabbed or sliced up, unless you move. A side step or two or even back peddling will make the tueller drill much more effective. But I guess we'll have to see what Adam and Jamie find out :)
    21 is tough. 7 to 10 in an 'equal encounter' the well trained knife fighter, with agression, has the probability of the kill against someone making the decision loop to draw and fire. Depends.

    There are some scary people I know and trained with that can convince you of this probibility.

    I may not always carry a firearm........ but I always carry a well trained with knife. And it is not a big bulky K-Bar (that is for show).

    Edit Add: After 9/11 (and some training) I also carry a pen (for writing) that is designed to be used for defensive/offensive CQB. But any well made (not a flippy Bick ball point - LOL) ball point pen with a metal or heavy plastic/carbon shaft is almost as effective in accurate employment. Just sayin.....

    Edit Add #2: Jeeze, after reading what I just wrote above, now I sound like a Gecko#..... I'm done posting for tonight, have to go and recharge the Up Armored Electric Golf Cart...............
    Last edited by ANGLICO; June 4th, 2012 at 02:33 AM.
    Spade115, JDE101, mano3 and 1 others like this.
    Socialism Kills! Time proven, with a very large body count! We are a Constitutional Republic....... not a Democracy, get it correct!

    Don't be mistaken for a Gecko45: http://lonelymachines.org/mall-ninjas/

    Watch: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14qTdp-Dd30

    ANGLICO Images

  6. #5
    Member Array Crucible's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    82
    Nothing's going to work all the time in all circumstances, but if you take enough force on force training, you'll be a believer re: knives and aggressive attackers vs. non-moving CCW's drawing from concealment (note the "non-moving" part).

    I have little faith in the Mythbusters here.

  7. #6
    Distinguished Member Array tcox4freedom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina USA
    Posts
    1,521
    As far as I know, everybody on "Mythbusters" are pro gun & blowing things up.
    It will be interesting to see if the upcoming episode will shed some new light on their beliefs about CC.
    (If I'm not mistaken Jamie does CC and has mentioned it on the show.)

    -
    Last edited by tcox4freedom; June 4th, 2012 at 02:03 PM.

  8. #7
    VIP Member Array JDE101's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    6,382
    I'll be interested in seeing that episode. My wife and I have watched most of the Mythbusters episodes, and I've always gotten the impression that they are all pro-gun. They have had several episodes involving guns and even most episodes when they blow stuff up!
    Live to ride, ride to live. Harley Road King And keep a .45 handy Kimber Custom TLE II

  9. #8
    Senior Member Array Spidey2011's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Montana
    Posts
    887
    I don't know if you guys are aware of this or not, but most of the guns used on the show are actually from Jamie's personal collection. They've always come off as pro-gun and both of them have gotten professional training, so I'm really not surprised that they're testing this. Definitely one I'll be watching.

  10. #9
    Member Array oldcurmudgeo's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    139
    In the first place, the 21 ft. rule is BS.

    It will never work for civilians.

    It is a good rule for cops.

    Here is why.

    A cop gets a call that there is a nut case with a knife slashing people.

    He arrives on the scene and tells the guy with the knife to put it down. He has the 21 ft. rule in his mind and acts accordingly.

    Now in the case of you and me, we are walking down the street. A guy is approaching from the opposite direction and he looks just like most of the people on the street in that area.

    But he is different. When he is less than 6 ft. from you, he whips out his knife and charges.

    You don.t have a chance and the 21 ft. rule only made you blind to reality.

    Stop ad think about it. When are you going to use the 21 ft. rule? Challenge everyone you meet in the mall not to get within 21 ft.?

    Not likely.

  11. #10
    Distinguished Member Array ErnieNWillis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Willis, TX
    Posts
    1,225
    Quote Originally Posted by oldcurmudgeo View Post
    In the first place, the 21 ft. rule is BS.

    It will never work for civilians.

    It is a good rule for cops.

    Here is why.

    A cop gets a call that there is a nut case with a knife slashing people.

    He arrives on the scene and tells the guy with the knife to put it down. He has the 21 ft. rule in his mind and acts accordingly.

    Now in the case of you and me, we are walking down the street. A guy is approaching from the opposite direction and he looks just like most of the people on the street in that area.

    But he is different. When he is less than 6 ft. from you, he whips out his knife and charges.

    You don.t have a chance and the 21 ft. rule only made you blind to reality.

    Stop ad think about it. When are you going to use the 21 ft. rule? Challenge everyone you meet in the mall not to get within 21 ft.?

    Not likely.
    I have to agree. I have drilled numerous times using the 21ft rule with airsoft pistols and rubber knife. About 80% of the time I can draw and fire in to my opponent. The other 20% lets just say I'd probably be a gonner. Also this drill is also conducted knowing I am in no REAL harm. I can only imagine doing this in real life with a massive adrenaline dump. If I feel like my life is in imminent danger I will draw way before 21ft and keep low ready or point and fire.

  12. #11
    VIP Member Array smolck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Alabama
    Posts
    2,918
    Here is the Mythbusters shooting 1911's!


  13. #12
    VIP Member Array 10thmtn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,864
    I LOVE watching this show with my son. Lots of good science presented in a fun way. I'll be watching...
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

  14. #13
    Distinguished Member Array tcox4freedom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina USA
    Posts
    1,521
    Quote Originally Posted by ErnieNWillis View Post
    I have to agree. I have drilled numerous times using the 21ft rule with airsoft pistols and rubber knife. About 80% of the time I can draw and fire in to my opponent. The other 20% lets just say I'd probably be a gonner. Also this drill is also conducted knowing I am in no REAL harm. I can only imagine doing this in real life with a massive adrenaline dump. If I feel like my life is in imminent danger I will draw way before 21ft and keep low ready or point and fire.
    The trouble with most encounters is the fact that BGs can be very good at hiding their intent until it's to late. I believe a person needs to have a few good/effective hth moves that can help deflect an attack so distance can be created & extra time created in order to mount a counter. (Depending solely on a concealed handgun to get you out of a situation where you SA has failed could be a costly mistake.)

    -
    Hoganbeg and carracer like this.

  15. #14
    Ex Member Array ScottM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Northeast Alabama
    Posts
    716
    Suarez International's 0-5FT Gunfighting course goes a long way toward teaching how to overcome being behind the curve, as most CCW's will be.

  16. #15
    Member Array randomCOguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    CO
    Posts
    24
    Quote Originally Posted by oldcurmudgeo View Post
    But he is different. When he is less than 6 ft. from you, he whips out his knife and charges.
    You don.t have a chance and the 21 ft. rule only made you blind to reality.
    Stop ad think about it. When are you going to use the 21 ft. rule? Challenge everyone you meet in the mall not to get within 21 ft.?
    Not likely.
    Too true. No aggressor is going to pull a knife 20 ft away. Make an obvious path change and if he moves to intercept you then..... hope you are ready to draw

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Search tags for this page

carry from mythbusters

,

don't bring a knife to a gunfight mythbusters

,
knife vs gun fight
,
mythbusters 21 foot rule
,

mythbusters don't bring a knife to a gunfight

,

mythbusters gun vs knife

,
mythbusters knife gun fight
,

mythbusters knife gunfight

,
mythbusters knife to a gun fight
,

mythbusters knife to a gunfight

,

mythbusters knife vs gun

,

mythbusters never bring a knife to a gunfight

Click on a term to search for related topics.