Mugging situation.... lethal justified?

This is a discussion on Mugging situation.... lethal justified? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by randomCOguy New to forum, but plan to participate and give any and all input that I can. But I wanted to start ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Mugging situation.... lethal justified?

Quote Originally Posted by randomCOguy View Post
    New to forum, but plan to participate and give any and all input that I can. But I wanted to start things off with a scenario that constantly runs through my head every time I walk our local trail. The primary question here is, when would you personally use lethal force in a mugging situation?

Imagine an armed individual. He could have a knife or a gun (I will assume gun here because I feel that is more difficult to assess, but feel free to compare both). Sneaks out of the bushes, points his pistol to you and demands your items.

??
    What if he sees your gun and demands that?
    What if he gets distracted or his gun safety is on, do you feel your life is in danger to draw and use lethal force?
    At what point would do you consider yourself in imminent danger?
    Do you assume he just wants your items and will leave after, posing you no real threat??
    you must not be ready for carrying a concealed weapon if you have to ask if it is ok to shoot an armed assailant, in most states you may shoot anyone that is armed and puts you in fear of losing your life. as for the variations you offer, non of them make a difference, the only thing I would offer is that unless you've had some SD training taking on someone who has a gun pointed at you might not be the thing for you to do, consider complying
    Spirit51 likes this.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    well when its over I'm gonna have a serious talk with his parole officer.
    what i think about his lousy ability to control his wards and that that dude will be missing future appointments.

and hi from CT
    Be aware, be deliberate in your actions and be accurate.
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

Quote Originally Posted by PEF View Post
    Relax. You may not like the answers you get here. The intent is to help, not to hinder. Maybe after two days you'll realize how many people seek legal advice here, when they shouldn't. Last thing I want is someone thinking they are on solid legal ground from something they read here and then they are put away for 20 to life (Hint - take more care in writing your questions).

Since you are not seeking "legal advice," and asking what we would do, I'll bite.

What if he sees your gun and demands that?

- If he's armed with a knife, and he asks for my gun, I'd probably draw and shoot. He's got a lethal weapon, and trying to bend my will be threat of lethal force, and I'm in fear for my life.
    - IF he's armed with a gun, whole nutha ball game. At least he's going to let me "draw" since he demanded my gun. Can't answer. Would have to assess at the moment.

What if he gets distracted or his gun safety is on, do you feel your life is in danger to draw and use lethal force?

- I'd draw and shoot. I wouldn't let him play with his safety (I assume the only way I know is he pulls the trigger and the gun doesn't go bang - I can't tell if a thumb safety is up from a few feet away with him shouting orders at me). Shame of him for not using a double action!

- As soon as the mugging starts. There's no protocol to a mugging. He may be very polite and then he may slice my throat in a split second.

Do you assume he just wants your items and will leave after, posing you no real threat??

If I made such assumptions, I wouldn't carry in the first place.

Well said, sir.
    A woman must not depend on protection by men. A woman must learn to protect herself.
    Susan B. Anthony
    A armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one has to back it up with his life.
    Robert Heinlein

Distinguished Member Array Burns's Avatar
    If you properly conceal carry he shouldnt even know you have a gun so wont be demanding it.

Whether its a knife gun or bat, its lethal force

I would shoot if i feel my life or my wifes is in serious danger no matter what the situation is

You will soon realize everyone here has a different answer to any hypothetical question you ask. If you are in this situation you will react on instinct, not by what you are told on these forums, if you want legal advice contact a lawyer.
    Spirit51 likes this.
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable- JFK

The question reminds me of a shooting that happen on one of the east coast states in which a CCW holder got mugged and pulled his gun as the guy was turning and shot him. So here is the problem he was OK to shoot him as long he was a threat but when he turned the guy shot him in the back. The threat was over and in that state he was charge with aggravated assault with a deadly weapon. Legal and then illegal all in a split second; this is why we say know your local laws because what might be good in my state might not be good in your

Just to answer your question I would shoot IF I felt my life was in danger first and foremost then I would shoot to stop the muggers actions because its legal in this state
    urkrypt0nite likes this.

barstoolguru has a good point. Not to mention, even if it is legal to shoot him in the back...do you really want that on your conscience? Is that worth it?
    For me, I don't want to die. If my gut says he's going to walk away after he gets my wallet, I'll give it up and just call 911. But if not, I'm moving off the X and firing until he's down for the count.

VIP Member
    The minute he steps out with a gun your in imminent danger. If he's willing to pull a gun on you and rob you, you have to assume he's willing to shoot you. If and when the opportunity shows itself I will draw and fire.
    Spirit51 likes this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    The minute he steps out with a gun your in imminent danger. If he's willing to pull a gun on you and rob you, you have to assume he's willing to shoot you. If and when the opportunity shows itself I will draw and fire.
    I agree and that was my approach to the situation. I wanted to make sure that thinking wasnt "jumping the gun" (no pun intended).

Taking control of the situation as soon as possible or before it fully develops would be the only way to eliminate unknown risks in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by randomCOguy View Post
    Mugging situation.... lethal justified?

Imagine an armed individual.
    Absolutely, this is a situation in which the use of deadly force would be justified, given the simple fact that unprovoked criminal deadly force has been threatened against you. You're faced with an armed robber who has just effectively threatened erasure of your life. Can't imagine it can be seen as anything other than justifying any and all means at your disposal to survive the situation (which has already gotten to the point of your life being on the line).

From the moment the cretin clearly threatened my life, of course. From the moment my life was clearly threatened via the armed "or else" demands. Damn right.

That could well be the last assumption you ever make. Caution. Would I ever assume such a thing. Not on your life. Certainly not on mine.

As for what I'd do about it, in such a situation, everything depends on the specifics and how the flow of the situation changes. Not being a magician or H2H expert, there are only a few variations in which I'd feel reasonably capable of succeeding in a disarming attempt, if being covered by a firearm at some distance. Were the idiot to get solidly distracted, I would at least consider it an opportunity to possibly draw/fire while moving in an attempt to survive it. Though there would have to be clear "breathing space" offered up, such as full distraction due to others coming toward him or any draw by me being well-masked from his line of sight. Particularly if the idiot is well out of contact distances, there aren't a lot of choices other than subterfuge/patience. If the idiot were right in my face, however, that could change much (from the viewpoint of possibilities of successfully disarming him). It would all depend on circumstances.

If you're going to dare such a thing, you'd best be reasonably trained on such situations and how difficult it can be to disarm while avoiding being cut/shot. You blow a move, and you could easily get killed.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links