Defensive Carry banner

Waffle House Encounter

12K views 75 replies 55 participants last post by  Two Tone Everything 
#1 ·
Went to the local Waffle House Saturday morning for breakfast before going to work. I go inside and its like a mad house. There were a group of young guys and girls in their late twenties hooping and hollering it up after a night of drinking and who knows what else. The noise and loud talk didn't bother me until they started cussing like truckers. There were some families with kids there and I can't imagine they weren't upset. What upset me was that the mgr. wouldn't say anything to them. He could have went to them, not made a scene and told them to settle down but didn't. My question is, would you have said anything to them ?

#42 ·
911 works in towns that i know not the main police number in*. and i want to report before i get called for not paying. i'll pay....but not inside a zoo.

*besides, the 911 will direct my call. and we are going on that you do feel threatened rather than just annoyed.

#43 ·
Order the whole group of them extra large sodas! According to some dipstick in NY it will make them all so fat you would have time to tell them to shut up, order, eat, pay your bill, and leave the area before they could waddle their way over to confront you.

#49 ·
I'm assuming he meant swearing excessively. I wouldn't of said anything.. if I can watch Chris Rock, Eddie Murphy stand-up acts, I can deal with drunks cussing up a storm at at Waffle House. In fact, If I was there at the late night/early morning hour and there wasn't drunks there, I'd be worried they know something about the specific location I don't and would probably leave.

However, if I was with my son, it'd be a little different story. I wouldn't say anything and would just leave.

#52 ·
Things like this aggravate me. I'm 23 years old and carry my Glock 23 on my every single day because of people like that. Where I live there are tons of kids fresh out of high school that like to pull up to fast food restaurants in their huge dually trucks and try and get a rise out of you. Because of this people judge "younger twenty year olds" and assume they are reckless cursing ruffians when there are other 20+ year olds who are extremely mature and would like acceptance from the older groups. My point is even though these idiots make us other younger people look like morons don't preassume that every single younger person is.

#55 ·
Fadepoint: WELCOME TO THE FORUM, come back often, stay long and read much---there are a bunch of great folks here with tons of knowledge and experience. Now, about young adults--out here in ranching & farming country, the majority of the young folks are HARD working, polite and very respectful---the kind of young young adults that make me proud to be around them.

Reactions: Bark'n
#53 ·
You know, one would think you should be able to go up to a group of people and politely ask them to tone things down without getting shot.

But these days, one really never knows what kind of crap you'll start by telling someone to behave themself. You say something to the wrong kind of punk/dirtbag and the next thing you know you're in an all out fight for your life.

These days, I'm armed everywhere I go, and because I'm armed, I'm much more apt to not say anything and go about my business. If they are too disruptive, I'll leave and go somewhere else. I may tell the manager why I'm leaving and that I won't be paying for my meal when it arrives because I'm going somewhere else to eat.

I won't stiff the restaurant though. I don't think that's right. If my food has already come to the table, I'll pay for it and leave, but if the food hasn't come out yet, I'll inform the manager I won't be eating there after all.

Sure I could tell the rowdies to pipe down and then stand my ground if things blow up, but I'm not the kind of guy just itching to use my gun. I'd much rather leave and go elsewhere, than stay and be involved in something that could escalate into a killing situation.

Reactions: babarock
#54 ·
I was young once, I think. I don't put myself into situations where confrontation is likely on purpose anymore.

#57 ·
I go to Waffle House at least once a week. I've got about 5 of em within 20 miles of my house. Most of the time I go during daylight hours as my bar closing days are done. In my opinion Waffle House at 2 am ya kinda get what ya get. If I were there at that time I would accept that type of behavior as part of the ambiance, at 8am I would say something to a group of 20 somethings. I used to be a hard drinking 20 something. I still feel safe enough in society to ask someone to keep the swearing down in an inappropriate setting. Then again I'm also not a believer that things are worse in society than they have ever been in the history of the world.

#61 ·
my family had the same thing happen to us at a mexican restaurant we frequent often (laras tortilla flats for the oshkosh people here). we got up and left, after we had ordered, so i went up to the manager and told her what was going on. i said "we are leaving, if you value our business and want us to frequent your establishment again, you will bring me our food on the house boxed up while i wait at the bar and my wife and kids wait in the car.

she obliged me, and went and said something to the table while i waited, because apparently some other people complained. long story short, we got a free meal, and the cops got called when the people refused to leave. entertaining once my kids no longer had to listen the jackbags.

we still eat there once a week or two. :smile:

i guess my point is, if you are a paying customer at an establishment, and you are not receiving the environment or service you expect, speak to management. it has been my experience that you'll at least get a gift card or something to make up for it.

#63 ·
I had a similar situation in a Waffle House in Houston TX. There were over twenty 20 somethings, all very drunk inside. When I and my wife first arrived they were a little loud but not vulgar. 10 minutes into our visit they decided to play a game using the first word F--k and then added whoevers name they wanted. As it went down the line it got louder and more vulgar. When the waitress arrived to apologize I asked her to send over the Manager and I asked him if there was anything he could do about it. He said there are twenty something of them and two of you. Their bill alone will make my night. I told my wife we were leaving and went to eat elsewhere. I found the corporate number and called and complained. About a week later I saw the guy in Walmart and he was talking to another guy complaining how some old Mother F---er got him fired for no reason. He turned and saw me and took off like his backside was on fire. Karma baby.

#66 ·
No, I would not say a word to people that were just being loud as that is not a threat to me.

If it bothered me so much that I could not enjoy my meal, I would leave and let the restaurant know why.

If the restaurant manager wanted to say something to them, it would be his job to do so.

#67 ·
Waffle House actually used to have a decent steak years ago. I haven't been there in about 10 years now. The one I used to go to when I was in Houston and looking for something that was open 24hrs a day, I believe has closed and been replaced by something else. Wife is tight with the pennies so she frequents WalMart.

#69 ·
I learned never to stay at a hotel next to one. I woke up in the morning to Police tape in the parking lot one morning on my way to the Indy 500.

When I traveled a lot for business one of the mfg reps that I was with a lot would always want to eat breakfast at a Waffle House. He told me one morning "take a look at the cook. You know all the Waffle House cooks got their training as prison cooks, right?". I think he was right, lol.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.