Waffle House Encounter - Page 3

Waffle House Encounter

This is a discussion on Waffle House Encounter within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by suntzu I don't think that is a 911 call. If you gave the manager time to quiet them down you had time ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree100Likes

Thread: Waffle House Encounter

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    I don't think that is a 911 call. If you gave the manager time to quiet them down you had time to pay your bill. Nowhere are they a threat at that point. Just an annoyance.
    if i do not have time to enjoy my meal, and i had alerted the manager as to what has seemingly escaped his notice--that a group is disturbing other patrons,
    than his inaction tied to their poor actions makes me feel unsafe there. having taken some discrete (ppkheat got that right) video, id leave and call 911 so they are awear of the situation if the manager calls them about my not paying.

but id not be in a awfful house or the like to begin with
    Arthritis sucks big-big
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

Quote Originally Posted by claude clay View Post
    if i do not have time to enjoy my meal, and i had alerted the manager as to what has seemingly escaped his notice--that a group is disturbing other patrons,
    than his inaction tied to their poor actions makes me feel unsafe there. having taken some discrete (ppkheat got that right) video, id leave and call 911 so they are awear of the situation if the manager calls them about my not paying.

but id not be in a awfful house or the like to begin with
    Well, we will just agree to disagree. 911 is for emergencies. There is no emergencey in the OP. They are an annoyance. I am sure that a Waffle House there is someone willing to take your check. I am just going by the OP, not adding in any other factors. Guess I don't call the cops over something that I could have resolved by paying.
    sgb and Chesafreak like this.

Distinguished Member
    Boy, sure sounds like it is a good thing we don't have that restaurant out this way.
    EDC - Glock 21C, M&P Shield .40 OR Ruger SR1911 CMD AND
    Ruger LCP in Desantis Pocket Holster (backup)
    Member - SAF, OFF,
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by sgb View Post
    Generally I'd agree with you 100 % but it's kinda hard to paint verbally rowdy/disorderly 21 year old's as EVIL.
    Yeah, I know.

Quote Originally Posted by Spirit51 View Post
    How about this one:

"Choose your battles carefully."

This is more so important when one CCs.

"So Mr. Defendant, you actually escalated this conflict KNOWING you had the means to put a permanent stop to it...in your favor. Weren't you just itching to start this conflict?"
    "What battle? I was just going to offer to pay for their food when they became abusive and attacked me."

Quote Originally Posted by NH_Esau View Post
    I'm not a Waffle House fan (I prefer my waffles with syrup but no nicotene), but I remember going through Biloxi after Katrina and the one thing that stuck out was that all the Waffle Houses were still standing, even in neighborhoods where everything else was flattened. I hypothesize that the grease seeps into the bricks and congeals into a substance that's not only waterproof, but also able to withstand sustained Hurricane-force winds.

Unless they built some new ones, I have eaten at every Waffle House in Biloxi, and maybe a few in Gulfport. "Back in the day" I was the group of rowdy people a few times at 2:30AM, but I do not drink, so it was my job to keep my rowdy friends "in check"-- good times.

Anyways, I don't know what I would have done. The manager is there to make a profit, and at 2AM most clubs/bars close, and the "rowdy people" realize they are hungry. "Rowdy people" usually will tip a lot, so the staff will put up with it for a dollar. Depending on how hungry I was I might have stayed. Would I have said anything? We'll never know. I'm not much of a quarterback, so I definitely don't quarterback on Mondays, but I do know to stay out of Waffle House between 2-4AM. Other then that, I'm still trying to figure things out.
    --Jason--

Shoot them all, it's the only way to be sure.

Blades,

Good luck with that "What battle? I was just going to offer to pay for their food when they became abusive and attacked me." thing.

I do believe you under estimate the intelligence of both the DA and a jury if you really think either would take that at face value.
    A woman must not depend on protection by men. A woman must learn to protect herself.
    Susan B. Anthony
    A armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one has to back it up with his life.
    Robert Heinlein

Any restaurant that's open 24/7 will attract this type of crowd on occasion. That's the reason I stay away from them, besides the fact that if they are open all the time, there is never a time available to properly clean them. They just get a lick and a promise whenever there is a slow moment.
    mr.stuart likes this.
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    I don't think that is a 911 call. If you gave the manager time to quiet them down you had time to pay your bill. Nowhere are they a threat at that point. Just an annoyance.
    After thinking a bit, you're probably correct, but a call to the sheriff's office (not 911) might be in order if I left w/o paying for half of a meal.
    suntzu likes this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

You ment nuke 'em from orbit.......... right ?!?

Quote Originally Posted by RKflorida View Post
    Shoot them all, it's the only way to be sure.
    I personally like WH and most of 'em I've been in are pretty 'well behaved'. Having driven accross this country a couple of times, the last time with a wife and 3 young'uns, Motel 6's and WH's made it a little more affordable...... and the kids liked eating there. Having said that, there's been some 'stuff' happen at WH that makes me rethink that place sometimes.

Conflict avoidance is the best plan, but............ sometimes speaking up is the right answer as well. Speaking up or leaving, I'd make that decision while there.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NH_Esau View Post
    I'm not a Waffle House fan (I prefer my waffles with syrup but no nicotene), but I remember going through Biloxi after Katrina and the one thing that stuck out was that all the Waffle Houses were still standing, even in neighborhoods where everything else was flattened. I hypothesize that the grease seeps into the bricks and congeals into a substance that's not only waterproof, but also able to withstand sustained Hurricane-force winds.
    You reminded me of something. Right after things settled down a bit after Katrina a friend of mine went down there to work/clean-up and he said there was one place open to eat in all the devastation, and that was a Waffle House. I don't know how/what utilities they had, supplies, labor, or what was on the menu, but they were open and serving something. WH was like an oasis to those workers, LEO's, etc. That's a feather in someone's cap.

Following Katrina, Rita hit us pretty hard, our whole town was essentially without power and almost everything was shut down. There was a Mom and Pop buffet type of restaurant that opened. IIRC they had natural gas, so they warmed leftover buffet stuff up and sold it in go-boxes only. Probably a good idea to sell it quickly rather than have it eventually spoil w/o refrigeration. Nonetheless, it came in handy to lot's of folks.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Distinguished Member Array Burns's Avatar
    The days where I confront people like that are long gone. It doesn't do anybody any good. Inform the manager the reason you are leaving and walk out.
    Spirit51 likes this.
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable- JFK

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    911 works in towns that i know not the main police number in*. and i want to report before i get called for not paying. i'll pay....but not inside a zoo.

*besides, the 911 will direct my call. and we are going on that you do feel threatened rather than just annoyed.
    Arthritis sucks big-big
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

Order the whole group of them extra large sodas! According to some dipstick in NY it will make them all so fat you would have time to tell them to shut up, order, eat, pay your bill, and leave the area before they could waddle their way over to confront you.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    Leave. My concern would be them waiting outside to jump you when you left, and there you are with your family caught in the middle. Not worth it, just leave.
    +1 avoid trouble

Sent from my 300 baud modem

Quote Originally Posted by ppkheat View Post
    Leaving is important as mentioned. However, right before I left, I'd discreetly video the "mad house", call Waffle House Inc, and share the video with them. Since the manager is allowing this to go on, I doubt if calling him will help much help, but it probably should be done "for the record".

The deep concern is the patrons behavior and how/why it got like that.
    In 2008, my last visit to a waffle house, I witnessed some employees doing bad things, took pictures and disappointed that corporate could care less. I'm not sure if they are franchised or not but the HQ (in GA IIRC) didn't care.
    rolyat63
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor

A gun in the hand is a million times more valuable than a cop on the phone!

FL Concealed Weapon or Firearm Program

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links