Defensive Carry banner

Waffle House Encounter

12K views 75 replies 55 participants last post by  Two Tone Everything 
#1 ·
Went to the local Waffle House Saturday morning for breakfast before going to work. I go inside and its like a mad house. There were a group of young guys and girls in their late twenties hooping and hollering it up after a night of drinking and who knows what else. The noise and loud talk didn't bother me until they started cussing like truckers. There were some families with kids there and I can't imagine they weren't upset. What upset me was that the mgr. wouldn't say anything to them. He could have went to them, not made a scene and told them to settle down but didn't. My question is, would you have said anything to them ?

#2 ·
I would have left. Don't you notice what crap happens at Waffle Houses across the nation? I sure wouldn't tell a bunch of drunken young men and women to "settle down".

#4 ·
I would have left. Don't you notice what crap happens at Waffle Houses across the nation? I sure wouldn't tell a bunch of drunken young men and women to "settle down".
Best course of action, people acting in such a manner will consider it an insult to be told they are too loud and will become combative. It is just not worth the trouble.

#21 ·
I've done the same thing and would do it again under the right circumstances. Living and working in a college town you see this kind of behavior far too often, and it really irks me that people have less and less respect for kids being around and the language they choose to use. I have no problem asking nicely once.

Way back before getting married and having kids, I was having dinner with some coworkers at a local "sports bar" type restaurant, and some of the people I was with were getting pretty loud and were cussing. When I suggested they keep it down a bit because of the families there too, one person piped up and said "well what do they expect at a place like this?!?". As much as that answer bugged me, that logic has driven many of my choices ever since.

#6 ·
Twenty-somethings like that have been taught that they don't have to answer to anyone. They even get miffed when cops tell them what to do, So, do you really think they're gonna give a flip about what you think? Best thing is just leave and email a note to the corporate email telling them why you won't frequent their "family" restaurant anymore.

#14 ·
That to me at a Cincinnati Reds game. I said something. I won't go back the parks and organizations have lost sight of who the fans are.

#15 ·
I'd of gone back to my truck, grabbed my 12 gauge pump shotgun and gone back in. Screamed at them to "LISTEN UP" as I racked a round into the chamber. If they hadn't quieted down by then, I'd of fired a round into the ceiling to get their attention!

Seriously though. As Spirit51 said. Get up and leave. It's the managers problem, not yours.

#18 ·
Leaving is important as mentioned. However, right before I left, I'd discreetly video the "mad house", call Waffle House Inc, and share the video with them. Since the manager is allowing this to go on, I doubt if calling him will help much help, but it probably should be done "for the record".

The deep concern is the patrons behavior and how/why it got like that.

#45 ·
Leaving is important as mentioned. However, right before I left, I'd discreetly video the "mad house", call Waffle House Inc, and share the video with them. Since the manager is allowing this to go on, I doubt if calling him will help much help, but it probably should be done "for the record".

The deep concern is the patrons behavior and how/why it got like that.
In 2008, my last visit to a waffle house, I witnessed some employees doing bad things, took pictures and disappointed that corporate could care less. I'm not sure if they are franchised or not but the HQ (in GA IIRC) didn't care.

#20 ·
I agree to normally leave. Way too much can go wrong by confronting the morons. A couple of times at sporting events I asked folks to watch their language (My son was 8-10 at the time). Both times it was 2 guys and 2 girls and they were just getting excited. First time was at a Washington Capitols game. I asked the kid next to me if they could just watch the language and he felt bad about it. We actually got along the rest of the game.
Second time was at Boston Celtics games. I swear, if one were to profile you would have thought the 20 somethings (2 guys and 2 girls again) in front of us were gang bangers. Hispanic, tattoos, bling, just everything you could imagine in a rapper gone bad movie LOL. Anyway, same thing. They were just getting excited and I had a feeling they were good kids. They had the same reaction when I talked to them. They were very polite. In fact, you know the t-shirt cannons they use at games? They caught a t-shirt and gave it to my son. So not all 20 somethings are useless.
I must admit that the cost of good seats at sporting event definitly was a factor. I am not walking away from seats 8 rows up in the corner of a hockey game. Plus, you have event security and very little chance of them waiting for you outside.

Reactions: joker1
#22 ·
People seem to think sporting events are for getting drunk and and socializing during the game. We had a lady puke all over the lady's back sitting next to us at a Bengals game; she was hammered drunk. This happened in the first quarter.

#23 ·
What upset me was that the mgr. wouldn't say anything to them. He could have went to them, not made a scene and told them to settle down but didn't. My question is, would you have said anything to them ?
It's not my job to maintain a proper business atmosphere in the Waffle House. I would have said nothing to the boorish crowd making the noise. The place is poorly managed and it isn't my problem. I would however let management know why I was making my exit.

There are a few eateries that I avoid specifically because of the atmosphere or the noise inside. I would add the Waffle House to that list. As for confronting an obnoxious crowd....I don't need trouble that I can easily avoid, especially while I'm armed.

#24 ·
Give the manager the opportunity to quiet down the crowd or leave immediately...I'd call 911 and imform them why I left w/o finishing or paying for my meal...was afraid the crowd was getting out of hand...my family's safety comes first.

#25 ·
I also would have left after telling the manager why. Confronting a group of drunks is putting yourself in a bad situation. I'm sure some of our women would have said or wanted us to say something to them if they were with us. They just don't understand how the game changes when you're armed.

#27 ·
I also would have left after telling the manager why. Confronting a group of drunks is putting yourself in a bad situation. I'm sure some of our women would have said or wanted us to say something to them if they were with us. They just don't understand how the game changes when you're armed.
I also really would be more concerned about sitting on my wife. She really thinks a good butt-chewing is what bad people need, and really has no concept regarding what evil people are capable of.

#29 ·
I'm not a Waffle House fan (I prefer my waffles with syrup but no nicotene), but I remember going through Biloxi after Katrina and the one thing that stuck out was that all the Waffle Houses were still standing, even in neighborhoods where everything else was flattened. I hypothesize that the grease seeps into the bricks and congeals into a substance that's not only waterproof, but also able to withstand sustained Hurricane-force winds.

#40 ·
You reminded me of something. Right after things settled down a bit after Katrina a friend of mine went down there to work/clean-up and he said there was one place open to eat in all the devastation, and that was a Waffle House. I don't know how/what utilities they had, supplies, labor, or what was on the menu, but they were open and serving something. WH was like an oasis to those workers, LEO's, etc. That's a feather in someone's cap.

Following Katrina, Rita hit us pretty hard, our whole town was essentially without power and almost everything was shut down. There was a Mom and Pop buffet type of restaurant that opened. IIRC they had natural gas, so they warmed leftover buffet stuff up and sold it in go-boxes only. Probably a good idea to sell it quickly rather than have it eventually spoil w/o refrigeration. Nonetheless, it came in handy to lot's of folks.

#30 ·
I haven’t eaten in one of them in years and all because of this song... there is some cursing (2or 3 words) in it so if this offends you do not open it

#39 ·
You ment nuke 'em from orbit.......... right ?!? :danceban:

I personally like WH and most of 'em I've been in are pretty 'well behaved'. Having driven accross this country a couple of times, the last time with a wife and 3 young'uns, Motel 6's and WH's made it a little more affordable...... and the kids liked eating there. Having said that, there's been some 'stuff' happen at WH that makes me rethink that place sometimes.

Conflict avoidance is the best plan, but............ sometimes speaking up is the right answer as well. Speaking up or leaving, I'd make that decision while there.

#36 ·
Blades,

Good luck with that "What battle? I was just going to offer to pay for their food when they became abusive and attacked me." thing.

I do believe you under estimate the intelligence of both the DA and a jury if you really think either would take that at face value.

#37 ·
Any restaurant that's open 24/7 will attract this type of crowd on occasion. That's the reason I stay away from them, besides the fact that if they are open all the time, there is never a time available to properly clean them. They just get a lick and a promise whenever there is a slow moment.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.