This actually happened. What would you do?

This is a discussion on This actually happened. What would you do? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I also am with the no bumper sticker crowd. Nobody will be persuaded to change their opinion by a sticker on a car. As much ...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree81Likes

Thread: This actually happened. What would you do?

Distinguished Member Array BigStick's Avatar
    I also am with the no bumper sticker crowd. Nobody will be persuaded to change their opinion by a sticker on a car. As much as I might like some that I see, and be disgusted and confused by others, this story is one example of why I have a clean car.

But that does not remove the possibility of this same sittuation arrising. I have not taken any defensive/tactical driving classes, but I would tend to think slowing down is a good idea. More room for error, less energy involved in a potential crash. If he is intent on running me off the road, I will pull over for him and we can take it from there where I am more likely to have the advantage.

Having the kid in the car complicates things, but a high speed accident is more likely to injure the child than stopping and dealing with a confrontation. Evade if possible, drive away if safe to do so. Definitly call 911, even have the kid on the phone if they can hold it together and give the important info.
    tcox4freedom likes this.
    Walk softly ...

2. Remove Ads

Not worth the effort. Disengage is best with these types. The bumping thing with his vehicle...by him.is absolutely "assault with a deadly weapon. Get his tag and 911. Be ready if you try to pull off and let him pass!!
    All men are equal...CC makes us equal-er.

Quote Originally Posted by dev_null View Post
    If you don't like my bumper sticker (actually, in my case all I have is a Longhorns logo)
    I've lived in a few places where that sticker likely would result in this kind of action! And another place (Italy) where the "hook'em Horns" hand salute could easily result in a fistfight.

Another way to keep you and your family safe while in your vehicle"Leave the stickers to the less-educated"
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldon Hickey View Post
    A couple of years ago a man in my area was driving his 9 year old daughter home from school when a man in a pickup pulled behind them and began honking and making rude gestures. He then began bumping the first car, ultimately pushing it off the road and into a ditch. It seems the guy in the pickup disagreed with a political bumper sticker the first guy had. Fortunately the man and his daughter weren't injured, but certainly could have been. The second guy was picked up and charged...I don't remember the outcome. I've wondered what I would do in such a situation and am not sure. Opinions?
    tcox4freedom likes this.

Just call 911 , some states have a special number for road rage. Riding a motorcycle I have had to do it a few times. Some people just do not like motorcycles I guess..even of when it's just an old guy riding along

Sent from my 300 baud modem

changed lanes and jammed the brakes so he was in front of me and then got his lic plate and called the cops

Quote Originally Posted by NH_Esau View Post
    I've lived in a few places where that sticker likely would result in this kind of action! And another place (Italy) where the "hook'em Horns" hand salute could easily result in a fistfight.
    Yeah, but if an Aggie is aiming for you the safest place to be is the target. };->

I'd forgotten about the "cornu" or whatever it's called in Italian.

Call 911 and lead aggressor to nearest police station. Don't stop, don't engage in any gesturing, mouthing off. Do not let someone like this along side of you if at all possible. Leave yourself an escape route if so. Watch hands and try to stay cool.Be prepared to defend ones self...
    I had an incident similar to this with a car load of young thugs north of Philadelphia on Rt 309. Before cell phones were widely in use. Had my wife in car who was about 8 months pregnant. We simply passed this car and they started getting on our bumper and yelling and giving Italian salute. First question my wife (who hated the fact I carried)asked was "do you have your pistol?". Dumb question. Anyway this went on for 6-7 miles. I pulled into most public place which was a 7 Eleven.Next to door, had her run in to call 911. I stepped out to rear of vehicle to keep it between us. Did not draw but assumed the position. I saw 5 men and one aluminum bat. They luckily re-thought there actions and sped off. It was very stupid on my part. Should NOT have stopped, but I did not want to be run off the road or followed to our home.Had no idea where police station was. Looked for one to flag down but saw none. We instigated nothing. Would have been safer in vehicle. Lesson learned..
    Last edited by 1911srule; June 6th, 2012 at 11:08 AM.
    RIP Jeff Cooper

Distinguished Member Array Knightrider's Avatar
    I'm not a fan of bumper stickers too. With that being said I would just drive away to the closest police department and if he/she kept on ramming me then I would take it another step.
    Glock: G22 .40 S&W and G23 .40 S&W Sig Sauer: P938 9mm Smith and Wesson: Model 437 .38 Spl, Model 65 357 Mag, and Sigma SW9VE 9mm

Back in the early 70s going out West thru Nebraska I also had a problem like 1911srule. My wife, daughter an 12 yr old niece in the van. Six young men in a car cutting me off, driving beside me, behind on my bumper and then around me cutting me off and forcing me to slow down. I would pass and build up speed but was afraid to go to fast because I was worried they might force me into the ditch. Had the wife go back and get my revolver and hand it to me. Next time they pulled up beside me mouthing words and using hand gesture I let them see me place the revolver on the dash. I was ready to hit the brake and swerve behind them. The passenger mouthed FXXX a gun and the off they went. The whole time took about ten minutes and only saw one other car and that was going East. I really believe they were trying to force me off the road. Thought of turning around when they pulled in front, but in the middle of nowhere they still had the edge. Was I right - wrong. We drove on and no one was hurt. Were they just having fun????? I wasn't and the niece and wife were terrified. That was the first of two times a firearm defused something before it became nasty. You all stay safe.

I've seen idiots do really crazy things on the roadways and highways.... and it didn't take a bumper sticker. Be careful whereever you are .... and expect anything.

What would I do, I don't care what they are driving... they wouldn't out - drive me, while I was on the phone with 911.
    I had some crazy man , trying to turn and crash into us, following us, getting right up on my bumper like he was going to bump us... and had absolutely no clue as to why.

I out drove him in the traffic, etc... but he was a crazy crazy man. At one stop light, he got out of his vehicle and came up and was pounding on the side glass, cussing and making all kinds of threats. I was wondering if this might led to a need to protect myself and (now EX) .... with my gun.

I drove to a location I knew there would be 1 or 2 officers, and pulled up to them... and told them what this crazy person was doing.... and of course he took off, and they then chased him down.

Want to know why he was doing it ? He thought I gave him "a funny look" when we were driving past him. I never even saw or noticed the guy until he started acting like a lunatic. They shouldn't be letting these people out of the asylum.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by richc View Post
    The passenger mouthed gun and the off they went. The whole time took about ten minutes and only saw one other car and that was going East.
    This reminds me of an incident recounted by my CCW instructor. He admitted that it was an illegal (brandishing) action and was stupid, but it successfully diffused the situation in his case. As he told the story, he had been out hunting, including with his long barrelled .44 revolver. On his way back home, going through the Vance/Granville NC area of I-85 (Interesting how many times this area comes up in these types of incidents even on this forum), some guys in their truck started "having fun" with him. When it became apparent that being non-confrontational wasn't going to discourage them, he waited untilt he pulled up beside him, grabbed the .44 and pointed it right at the guy in the passenger seat. They had a similar reaction and disappeared quickly.

Senior Member Array Chad Rogers's Avatar
    The reasons to travel gray are simply legion.
    Last edited by Chad Rogers; June 6th, 2012 at 07:26 PM. Reason: Spelling
    "People who take an Internet handle of a great warrior, are usually the first to go fetal when crunch time comes." - Me

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    [QUOTE=MadMac;2279898]What you saw may have been caused by many factors - you list one above. Age has taught me to not make assumptions - especially about whether or not someone is "on drugs." It could be any number of issues, and you've already limited your response options by making what may be a completely erroneous assumption.

George Carlin had a great schtick back in the day. He talked about how American drivers referred to anyone driving faster as a crazed idiot bent on killing everyone on the road, and anyone driving slower a brain-dead moron. Labels limit your actions.

That said, in the case cited above, disengagement is key. No one can "run you into a ditch" if your car isn't moving.

Another life lesson I have learned is to seek to be the "grey man". I don't use my vehicles as rolling billboards. It's not that I am not opinionated, it's simply to avoid getting my car vandalized or starting something like the event above.[/QUOTE

Like this answer. Only thing I could add is that the question being asked in this thread leads me to believe that the writer is looking for some kind of possible reply with a firearm. Per the above quoted answer, I would think that having a CCWP and a firearm puts you in a different category from your fellow drivers---confrontation by you should in no way be in your equation--disengagement and situational awareness are keys to staying out of a confrontation. You have a firearm on you for heavens sake and can end up killing someone over two people driving cars.

Yet another reason not to have a bumper sticker.
    tcox4freedom likes this.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links