This actually happened. What would you do? - Page 4

This actually happened. What would you do?

This is a discussion on This actually happened. What would you do? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by MadMac You just defined the Tea Party. I guess what I meant to say is that's not why I put it on ...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree81Likes

Thread: This actually happened. What would you do?

Distinguished Member Array DontTreadOnI's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MadMac View Post
    You just defined the Tea Party.
    I guess what I meant to say is that's not why I put it on there, but hot dog, call me a tea bag cause I'd sure fit in!
    If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

I have no bumper stickers or stickers of any kind on my work vehicle. On my personal vehicle, a 1994 Jeep Cherokee 4X4, I have a window decal that says "Paved roads, more examples of wasteful government spending" and one that says "Redneck and proud of it". Both are neutral and funny in nature. I doubt anyone would be upset by them.

I avoid political bumper stickers of any kind.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

By the end of the first "bump" to the rear of my vehicle he would have endangered everyone involved; mostly himself. I would have sped up and called 911 and requested help ASAP, then prepare to defend my family by whatever means necessary.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Distinguished Member Array GunGeezer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gobbly View Post
    o_O

You can disagree with someone all you want, you can hate them for their views, you can think whatever you care too. But to put someone else's life in danger because you disagree with them? I don't find that to be dedication to the cause. I find that to be disregard for anyone but yourself, a

That you wouldn't act this way isn't a psychiatric flaw in my book, it's conducting yourself properly. A sign of sound mind and judgement.

In other words I think the guy you were talking to is an idiot, and shouldn't be allowed to drive.
    Welcome to the real world!!! You just described 51 percent of the population.

Distinguished Member Array GunGeezer's Avatar
    Wow, I'd better get that Wendell Wilke sticker off my bumper!

I would get a bigger vehicle. Lol
    I drive a 9,000# ford super duty 4x4. If this happened I wouldn't call 911 until it was all over......seems like we have seen calling them before causes issues (Zimmerman vs Martin )??

Sent from my DROID RAZR

Quote Originally Posted by Spirit51 View Post
    First of all I don't put any advertising of any stripe on my car. Only thing I got is a "Basset on Board" one. Who could pick a fight with THAT.
    Certainly not me! I grew up with a Basset named Beauregard, aka Oh Dog of Dogs, aka Noble Beast. <lol>

The only things on my 'Nox is a ribbon supporting dog rescue and an "AKC Good Citizen" award for my female collie. Kinda hard to be upset with that as well!

As for me, I'd hit the OnStar emergency button, give them the scoop and pull into somewhere well populated until the cops got there.
    Common sense is NOT common. There is a difference between intelligence and wisdom...

VOTE FOR OBAMA sticker ,,,,, will do it ,,,,, every time.
    msgt/ret likes this.

Remember those pathetic "Baby on Board" window stickers. Sheesh! I am one of the politically engaged (yeah, on the Right side of things ) but I'm not into bumper stickers on my cars. Even in past years when I did have one or two (actually related to ham radio) I didn't consider political stickers. Keeping below the radar as has been said is the best choice.

I used to be a little more responsive to provocation but as I've aged, I've tended to believe that it's just not worth it. I've learned to ignore the one finger salutes which may come along for not even a know reason. I could have done something to tick him off, or he may simply not like my looks. Who knows and I really don't care. I think the best "revenge" against such people is to totally "not see" them. If they get your attention and thus acknowledge receipt of their "statement", they have won. If they make it all in vain because you didn't see it, they go away feeling as failures.

Of course if one insists on shoving the point of his hostility down your throat, well it will have to be dealt with as best the situation calls for and allows.
    Dan,

CZ82 nut

Quote Originally Posted by GunGeezer View Post
    Wow, I'd better get that Wendell Wilke sticker off my bumper!
    Is a "I like Ike" sticker ok?
    Dan,

CZ82 nut

I had a bad situation occur a few years ago, in New Hampshire. I was out late (12:30/1:00am) just enjoying a cool summer night with my then girlfriend. The roads at the time were unlit and twisty. You have to be alert to the fact that deer often cross some of the roads I traveled late at night.
    Out of now where, a flatbed truck, with vehicle on board, came flying up behind us. The driver was so close that I could not even see its headlights. He continued to "ride my arse" for a few miles. I was nervous that if something jumped out in front of me, I would be crushed by this huge and heavy vehicle riding too close.
    I decided to tap my breaks quickly to let him know he was too close. Well, the driver FREAKED OUT and shot passed me in the other lane. He proceeded to slam on his breaks and turned to block the road in front of me.
    I knew this meant trouble and stopped before I got to close to him. To my surprise, there were two men in the truck. Both men jumped out and grabbed weapons. The driver had a crowbar and the passenger grabbed a short length of heavy chain.
    The driver started to come towards my car screaming at the top of his lungs, laced with profanity. I stepped out before the two of them could get too close and tried to explain that he was following to close and it was dangerous for him as well. Unfortunately, he didn't care about what I had to say and just continued to close the distance. All the while, describing how he was going to rearrange my face.
    I was armed with a S&W 6906 at the time (legally armed CCW) and at this point I drew it out of my shoulder rig. I warned therm to stop and retreat or I would use deadly for to defend myself.
    That stopped them dead in their tracks! They continued with the verbal abuse and threatened to got to the police to report me. I informed them that the police station was up ahead and that I would follow them to it. After a few more vulgar gestures, they jumped into their truck and proceeded on. As we neared the station, I put my turn signal on to follow them in. Well, the Mass boarder was just ahead and that truck took off like a shot for the boarder!
    I knew they had no intention of stopping at the station so I banged a U turn and headed back home, thankful that I didn't have to use lethal force that night!

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar
    Welcome to DC (I noticed your post count).
    Quote Originally Posted by CharlesMorri View Post
    . I was out late (12:30/1:00am) just enjoying a cool summer night with my then girlfriend. The roads at the time were unlit and twisty. You have to be alert to the fact that deer often cross some of the roads I traveled late at night.
    Sometimes it is unavoidable, but there is a saying about how bad things tend to happen at Silly O'Clock that goes hand in hand with "don't do stupid things, with stupid people, in stupid places".
    Out of now where, a flatbed truck, with vehicle on board, came flying up behind us. The driver was so close that I could not even see its headlights. He continued to "ride my arse" for a few miles. I was nervous that if something jumped out in front of me, I would be crushed by this huge and heavy vehicle riding too close.
    An understandable reaction.
    I decided to tap my breaks quickly to let him know he was too close.
    This is debatable in that it could be taken as being provactive and escalating the situation. At the same time, you needed to do something. Slowing down (without brakes) could also be considered provacative. I am curious how he would have reacted to a turn signal which also says, "braking imminent"?

I stepped out before the two of them could get too close and tried to explain that he was following to close and it was dangerous for him as well.
    Again, a debatable move tactically. Generally you are better off inside your vehicle as it usually offers a degree of protection (in some circumstances it can be a death trap too). However, you also confronted them, potentially escalating the situation but it is also possible that not confronting them would have embolded them had they seen it as a sign of weakness.
    I was armed with a S&W 6906 at the time (legally armed CCW) and at this point I drew it out of my shoulder rig. I warned therm to stop and retreat or I would use deadly for to defend myself. That stopped them dead in their tracks!
    It is unfortunate that it got to this point. Most would also tell you that you don't use a gun as a warning and that if you draw it that it should be in the moments before you fire it. Depending on how close they were to you (see the Tueller drill) and the fact that you had disparity of force with deadly weapons in play it may have been an appropriate tactic. In any case, you didn't need to shoot and the deterent factor was enough.
    I knew they had no intention of stopping at the station so I banged a U turn and headed back home, thankful that I didn't have to use lethal force that night!
    This was a mistake. The police system works on the premise that the person making the initial complaint is the victim and they will respond and handle the situation that way, even if it is not true. Had these goons called in a report, even after they got across the state line, saying that they were minding their own business and some whack job pulled a gun on them, you could have been in for a world of hurt. You said that you had your GF with you. As soon as these guys were on your tail, you should have had her call 911 and report the situtation, especially if the police station was a short ways up the road.

I had a similar experience happen to me some years ago in El Paso, Texas. I was driving my old beater Dodge Dart home from the grocery store with my young daughter in the car. A pick-up was behind me, we were the only cars on the road. This was in a semi rural area, on a sunday afternoon on a 4 lane road built for commuter traffic. W/M driving W/F passenger. They were tailgating, acting like they were going to ram me. I did everything I could do to de-escalate. I moved to the other lane, sped up, slowed down several times trying to get them to just go around me. I finally stopped, exited with my then off duty gun, Glock 19 in hand, directed at said offensive driver. ID'd myself, then the driver. Took his keys and DL ( before cell phones were in wide use) told him to be patient as the Sheriffs Office would be by soon. Went home and called the SO and gave them the story and subjects ID and DL. The SO had a nice chat with them, seems they were just having fun.

I always did everything to not get involved when my family was with me.

Senior Member Array Stirling XD's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CharlesMorri View Post
    I had a bad situation occur a few years ago, in New Hampshire. I was out late (12:30/1:00am) just enjoying a cool summer night with my then girlfriend. The roads at the time were unlit and twisty. You have to be alert to the fact that deer often cross some of the roads I traveled late at night.
    I decided to tap my breaks quickly to let him know he was too close. Well, the driver FREAKED OUT and shot passed me in the other lane. He proceeded to slam on his breaks and turned to block the road in front of me.
    I knew this meant trouble and stopped before I got to close to him. To my surprise, there were two men in the truck. Both men jumped out and grabbed weapons. The driver had a crowbar and the passenger grabbed a short length of heavy chain.
    The driver started to come towards my car screaming at the top of his lungs, laced with profanity. I stepped out before the two of them could get too close and tried to explain that he was following to close and it was dangerous for him as well. Unfortunately, he didn't care about what I had to say and just continued to close the distance. All the while, describing how he was going to rearrange my face.
    I was armed with a S&W 6906 at the time (legally armed CCW) and at this point I drew it out of my shoulder rig. I warned therm to stop and retreat or I would use deadly for to defend myself.
    That stopped them dead in their tracks! They continued with the verbal abuse and threatened to got to the police to report me. I informed them that the police station was up ahead and that I would follow them to it. After a few more vulgar gestures, they jumped into their truck and proceeded on. As we neared the station, I put my turn signal on to follow them in. Well, the Mass boarder was just ahead and that truck took off like a shot for the boarder!
    This story makes me think of something that happened to a co-worker. He and his wife were on their way home from dinner. They pulled into their apartment complex and parked. As soon as they did that, another car pulled up behind them. Two guys pulled him out of the car and proceeded to beat the crap out of him. As they were leaving, one of the guys made a comment about him turfing their yard which he of coarse did not do. After thinking about it, he did remember another car very similar to his in make and color very recklessly passing him on the road shortly before pulling into the complex. He figured that car turfed the thugs yard and sped off eventually passing him. The 2 thugs pursued and followed the first car that looked like the one that drove through their yard and took out their rage on him.

When I read stories like the one above I always assume there are two possibilities in play. First, the person telling the story isn't telling the whole story and he did more to create his problem then he's letting on (I'm not accusing anyone here of doing that, but it does go through my mind). Second, the aggressive driver was wronged somehow by the driver of a very similar looking car that sped off. Since the story teller did nothing wrong and isn't trying to get away, he's pretty easy to catch.

Just my thoughts.

noway2, thanks for the welcome! Yes, in hind sight, there were different ways I should have handled things.
    I agree about the silly hour but it was such a beautiful night that we just wanted to take a relaxing drive. It didn't turn out to be one but thank god things turned out the way they did!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links