This actually happened. What would you do?

This is a discussion on This actually happened. What would you do? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Count me into the crowd who has no bumper stickers. I hate them. I think they are destructive to the vehicle and difficult to remove. ...

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Like Tree81Likes

Thread: This actually happened. What would you do?

Count me into the crowd who has no bumper stickers. I hate them. I think they are destructive to the vehicle and difficult to remove.

As for the OP's situation, I would be very tempted to pull my gun and start firing if I was sure the person was ramming my car on purpose. I'm not sure if this has ever been tested in court, but the way I see it a vehicle can be a deadly weapon. Which means I've got somebody who is attacking me with lethal force. I would feel justified in countering that with lethal force. If they are behind me, then I probably wouldn't do it simply because it would be impossible to aim and fire and stand any chance of hitting my target and not bystanders. But if they were ramming me from the side or front and I was trapped somewhere, that'd be a different story. I was actually tempted to pull my gun a few years ago when some jerk tried to run me over in the parking lot. I think they were just being idiots and peeling out, nearly hitting several people including me. I don't think they actually had an intention to injure people, but they very nearly did and at the time I wasn't sure if they were doing it on purpose or not.

Although I do not have any bumper stickers, my wife and I do get dirty looks on occasion. I drive an all-electric Nissan Leaf and my wife drives a Chevy Volt. There are some people out there with very strong negative opinions of these vehicles due mostly to incorrect information being spewed by Fox News. Typically the people who make rude gestures are driving Hummers or giant trucks. Fortunately, those are few and far between and most of the time we have people stopping in parking lots to compliment us and ask questions about the cars. But there have been a few occasions where I feared some guy in his giant truck acting like a retard might actually try to crush my car with me in it.
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

2. Remove Ads

"endangering a child"
    "wreckless driving "
    " assault with a deadly weapon " (the vehicle)
    " wreckless endangerment and disregard for the safety of others"
    "criminal damage to property"

and I'm sure he could get to sit in a cell and think about his actions for a looooong time.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Thats scary.
    I agree with many other posts here that bumper stickers are bad news. While I can understand wanting to display frustration/ opinions( hell, I would like to put up a few billboards with some views about the current administrations braincramps, but thats another discussion), bumper stickers are not the smartest way to go.
    But...that being said, regardless of the message, that was a very dangerous situation, and glad that it turned out with nobody being hurt. Honestly, I cannot answer how I would have handled it with my small children in the car, my first instinct would have been to remove the threat, nobody hurts my kids. I am deeply grateful that I was never put in that situation where my children were involved.

This is an excellent thread, lots to think about in the event out happens to any of us. Some of my conclusions: 1, my little Suzuki SUV isn't big enough to win ANY arguments; 2, my Kenworth is big enough to kill someone, so no arguments on the road with that, either; 3, do not get a fresh paint job on the Suzuki, keep it plain; and 4, I need to rethink putting an "I Like Ike" sticker on it. :D

I read the whole thread... Here are a couple comments.

First... I have a friend who fought for 2 years (lots of $$) to get a aggrivated assualt charge dropped after he removed his pistol from the case and placed it on the dash so that a rude and according to his description very dangerous driver messed with him on the highway. I live in a very gun friendly stat so if it could happen here...

Second... It is apparantly fairly easy to take out a vehicle from the rear. A co-worker of mine was injured when the car he was riding in was clipped by another car changing lanes behind him. What happens apparantly is that they sideways force on the relatively light rear end gets the vehice sideways at speed and if the traction is good the car rolls. In this particular case the offending driver's vehicle was not even disabled and he drave away from the seen.

I hate to contribute to straying off topic, but I'll add a couple thoughts:
    1) I generally avoid all car stickers, but I couldn't resist putting Steelers logos on the rear side windows of my yellow and black Camaro.
    2) If I were to put a bumper sticker on my car, it'd be one of the "Empty Gesture" ribbons.
    3) Never saw my Dad more angry than when I was a kid and we came out of Luray Caverns in VA (in the 70's) and one of their employees had put one of their bumper stickers on all the cars in the parking lot. The old kind that didn't peel off easy at all.

* A guy once was harrassing a motorcycle rider with his p/up truck, and then took actions that made it appear that he was trying to hit him. The motorcycle rider pulled up in front of a small public hamburger place off the road for protection and to get away from the truck driver. The truck driver turned around and then barreled thru the parking lot and hit the motorcycle and motorcyclist and killed him. When he was caught and arrested for 'murder' , he told them that he just didn't like motorcycles.

------ I have seen a woman intentionally run a motorcyclist off the road, and she was arrested for "attempted murder".

* A guy was acting stupid on the highway here, and then came beside me and swerved at me , etc. There was absolutely no reason for his doing this other than he wanted to mess with someone. I knew he was going to do it ... I knew it.... and sure enough at one point he jerks his wheel to smash into the side of me. However, I was watching for it and have great brakes and one foot was resting on the brake (in case), so I slammed on the brakes. This caused him to "miss me" (barely) and he had done it so strongly that he crossed 4 other lanes and smashed into a cement wall with his nice p/up truck. So much for that truck.

* Some gangsta types pulled up next to me once ..... and one of them pointed a pistol at tme.... I hit my brakes, pulled my gun, and then drove back up next to him..... showed him my badge and pointed that he pull over. He didn't .... he ran for it. No one will outrun nor out-drive me...... and soon some of the City LEO's were heading him off and he was stopped, arrested and went to jail.

Here's the point....... "here" .... using a motor vehicle to threaten and/or do anyone harm with a vehicle, is considered "aggravated assault with a deadly weapon" and in some cases can be considered "attempted murder". I could give you a lot of examples, but the real point is..... don't engage if you dont' have to, call 911 and report it, and don't stop and put yourself in a vulnerable position (e.g. stopping on the side of the road in a vulnerable place or position).
    rpf427 likes this.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

This is America. We're lucky if we can agree on anything. However, we still have the right to think and say just what we want. That includes some bumper sticker, no matter how badly we might disagree with what the bumper sticker says.

Anybody that tries to assault someone else because of a bumper sticker is seriously screwed up and therefore dangerous. I would try to move away from someone like that if I could and alert the cops about it. If I couldn't disengage from the idiot, then I may have defend myself. If it ever gets that bad, I don't intend to lose.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote Originally Posted by Eldon Hickey View Post
    A couple of years ago a man in my area was driving his 9 year old daughter home from school when a man in a pickup pulled behind them and began honking and making rude gestures. He then began bumping the first car, ultimately pushing it off the road and into a ditch. It seems the guy in the pickup disagreed with a political bumper sticker the first guy had. Fortunately the man and his daughter weren't injured, but certainly could have been. The second guy was picked up and charged...I don't remember the outcome. I've wondered what I would do in such a situation and am not sure. Opinions?
    I would have called 911 when the incident began, and recorded as much information as possable.
    tacman605 and msgt/ret like this.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Links