This actually happened. What would you do?

This is a discussion on This actually happened. What would you do? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; A couple of years ago a man in my area was driving his 9 year old daughter home from school when a man in a ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree81Likes

Thread: This actually happened. What would you do?

A couple of years ago a man in my area was driving his 9 year old daughter home from school when a man in a pickup pulled behind them and began honking and making rude gestures. He then began bumping the first car, ultimately pushing it off the road and into a ditch. It seems the guy in the pickup disagreed with a political bumper sticker the first guy had. Fortunately the man and his daughter weren't injured, but certainly could have been. The second guy was picked up and charged...I don't remember the outcome. I've wondered what I would do in such a situation and am not sure. Opinions?

VIP Member
    Call 911 and find some way to disengage. There are certain bumper stickers that make me want to backhand the drivers and ask them how they could have been so stupid as to have voted the way they did but I just grit my teeth and press on.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar
    This situation exemplifies the need to be ever vigilent, especially on the roads where trouble can come seemingly out of nowhere in the blink of an eye. Here is another (somewhat similar) example. Last Saturday I was going down the road, at the posted speed, approaching the (left) turning lane to a quasi-highway (4 lanes, divided 55 mph that bypasses part of I-85). I notice from behind a old POS purple camaro, or something similar looking, approaching at a high rate of speed. Said car passes me, gets in the turning lane, takes the turn onto the ramp. In what was in retrospect an idiodic means to try to make an immediate turn off the ramp as it spits off into a service road and entrance to a frieght company yard, they hit the brakes and spun the car around hard, blocking the ramp. They then proceeded to race down the service road, which was parallel to the road I was then on, and made another funky turn. I thought that they were then going to get back on the highway (as the service road intersected it) but they turned and went the other direction. Obviously it was some crazed idiot, possibly on drugs.

Had they merged on the highway before me, I would have given them a wide lattitude. Had they merged after their maneuvers from the service road, I may have made a call to 911 to report them and as a precaution should things go south and I may not have the opportunity.

Quote Originally Posted by noway2 View Post
    Obviously it was some crazed idiot, possibly on drugs.
    What you saw may have been caused by many factors - you list one above. Age has taught me to not make assumptions - especially about whether or not someone is "on drugs." It could be any number of issues, and you've already limited your response options by making what may be a completely erroneous assumption.

George Carlin had a great schtick back in the day. He talked about how American drivers referred to anyone driving faster as a crazed idiot bent on killing everyone on the road, and anyone driving slower a brain-dead moron. Labels limit your actions.

That said, in the case cited above, disengagement is key. No one can "run you into a ditch" if your car isn't moving.

Another life lesson I have learned is to seek to be the "grey man". I don't use my vehicles as rolling billboards. It's not that I am not opinionated, it's simply to avoid getting my car vandalized or starting something like the event above.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldon Hickey View Post
    I've wondered what I would do in such a situation and am not sure.
    I'd be looking for whoever put the Obama sticker on my car!!!
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array ericb327's Avatar
    I would find a parking lot of a bank or something likely to have a security camera and take a defensive position. Call 911 if I can.
    abillb likes this.
    For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill. (Sun Tzu) The Art of War

https://www.facebook.com/ninja312

My food and product review blog
    http://trualitybarandgrille.wordpress.com/

First of all I don't put any advertising of any stripe on my car. Only thing I got is a "Basset on Board" one. Who could pick a fight with THAT.
    A woman must not depend on protection by men. A woman must learn to protect herself.
    Susan B. Anthony
    A armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one has to back it up with his life.
    Robert Heinlein

Senior Member Array Inspector71's Avatar
    If somebody does that to me, especially with a kid in the truck with me, it's fighting time. I wouldn't take bumping my truck and forcing me off the road and into a ditch lightly and I don't care what his reason for doing it is.
    If you can read this, thank a teacher. Because it's in English, thank a vet

With the little ones in the car, its game on. Im doing anything and everything to end this encounter.....
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

I would have sped up and swung the car around and run in reverse while unleashing rounds from my side mounted machine gun. ;)
    "I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." - Thomas Jefferson

MadMac has the key - be the grey man, and don't put the stickers on your car. I'm pretty far right on a lot of issues, but I'm not putting any of those issues on my bumper ('specially not in New England). Just asking for a fight with a moron, and that will end with one or both of us hurt.

That said, road rage happens even when you're grey. Disengage - call 911, put it on speakerphone, then get both hands back on the controls. Tell the operator your location and that you are being attacked. Try to let the guy pass. If he gets aggressive and starts bumping, get to a safe and/or public place with a good exit.

Don't try to race him - you'll end up killing a third party. As long as you're in a moving vehicle, you've got control of a weapon with a lot more force than anything you might have on your hip.

He starts bumping me from behind? I have now been attacked with a deadly weapon. Game on. If we're in similar-sized vehicles: seatbelts tightened, a quick turn to get the speeds down and open up enough distance, to go full reverse as he rounds the corner - rear bumper to radiator the front corner, hopefully get his airbag to deploy, and then escape if I can or engage further if I can't. Alternately, find a place to barricade.

I had a similar situation happen where in a bout of road rage, a guy tried to bump me off the road and then did a road block move in front of me (personal vehicles, his slightly larger/heavier than mine). I rammed him, then got out of dodge. Because of the environment/location of the incident, I actually thought it might be a setup for a coordinated ambush, but from followup we think the guy was just a drunk jerk. A jerk with body work to pay for.
    beararms likes this.

Beware what you wish for. Stickers can be provocative, and you have no idea who'll feel provoked, or to what degree. In the "crack" age, that's roulette. The "gray man" concept: intelligent avoidance of avoidable circumstances.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar
    This morning on my way to work, I saw the back window of a minivan painted with yellow letters: "I am Trayvon Martin". Talk about provocative.

No bumper stickers, advertisements or anything like that for me. I would rather notice, but not be noticed.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9700 using Tapatalk
    nerdyvirgin likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by MadMac View Post
    George Carlin had a great schtick back in the day. He talked about how American drivers referred to anyone driving faster as a crazed idiot bent on killing everyone on the road, and anyone driving slower a brain-dead moron.
    I love his take on bumper stickers too. Would hate to get out on the road and not have enough reading material to keep the other drivers occupied :)

A true philosopher that guy!

I don't have a problem with people disagreeing with each other on many things, including politics, religion, gender issues, etc., etc. However, the old adage that "your right to swing your fist stops at my face" applies here. (Let's leave aside the question of assault vs assault and battery for now.)

If you don't like my bumper sticker (actually, in my case all I have is a Longhorns logo), you can ignore it, and the same goes for me. You can even want to backhand me if you're that easily manipulated: after all, it's your blood pressure and not mine. You're not free to attack me, and especially not if I have a child in the car with me.

That said, I would try to disengage, document, and get LE there asap. I've been the victim of road rage before (nothing to do with stickers on the car), and although my adrenaline was saying "damn, I wish I had a weapon," my brain was still working and in the end the court system worked. He paid for the damage, had to undergo anger management training, and ended up with a conviction on his record.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links