Send your kid away to college...

This is a discussion on Send your kid away to college... within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by CalebClimbs When I left for my first year of college, I contemplated my personal defense capabilities and realized I was very limited ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Send your kid away to college...

Quote Originally Posted by CalebClimbs View Post
    When I left for my first year of college, I contemplated my personal defense capabilities and realized I was very limited in options. For the past three years, I have lived in on campus housing (where any gun, even water guns and such are strictly prohibited). Considering the punishment for possession of a firearm on a college campus, I found myself unable to keep a firearm with me. I know of individuals who hid long guns and pistols in their cars and dorm rooms, however I could not warrant the risk of getting caught. In my opinion, I could not jeopardize my educational future as I plan on attending medical school. Getting caught with a weapon on any campus is bad news, however getting caught with a weapon in your room or in your car as a student is even worse. Some options to consider that differ from my situation could be: living off campus or less-than-lethal options for use on campus. It seems that this incident occurred in an off camus residence which led me to assume that the victims could have possessed firearms legally. If you have the options and definitely want to keep a weapon with you, off campus housing is definitely the best option. Nevertheless, I have been able to carry a knife successfully everyday while on campus and I am also considering keeping pepper spray or a taser in my backpack.

BTW this is my first post and glad to be a member. If anyone has any suggestions for my situation as well, I would love to hear em'.
    Welcome from Missouri. Pepper spray would be a excellent choice for you. I am sure some of the folks here can recommend a good one. Hubby got me a really nice one that fits in the hand. I will send him here when he gets home so you can tell you where he got them.
    A woman must not depend on protection by men. A woman must learn to protect herself.
    Susan B. Anthony
    A armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one has to back it up with his life.
    Robert Heinlein

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Arborigine's Avatar
    While my schoolyard experiences weren't anything to speak of, I had to ride the bus to the slummy part of San Diego to work on Dad's apartment buildings while my friends were surfing. Guaranteed summer and weekend employment, whether i wanted it or not. We kept the buildings nice and rented to decent people, but the neighborhood and some of the tenant's kids were a different thing. I learned to fight with the Crips and other young professional inmates. I survived, with few scars, and those experiences left me better prepared to deal with what life can throw at you. As a youngster, if i had a CCW I probably would have gotten into serious trouble by using the weapon instead of my brain as my first line of defense.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links