Send your kid away to college...

This is a discussion on Send your kid away to college... within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; They're under 21, they can't get a permit to carry... They certainly can't have a handgun in the dormitory... (in most schools, anyway). And if ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Send your kid away to college...

Send your kid away to college...

They're under 21, they can't get a permit to carry... They certainly can't have a handgun in the dormitory... (in most schools, anyway). And if they live in private housing, how do you prepare them for this?

Story here
    It could be worse.
    "The History of our Revolution will be one continued Lye from one end to the other."
    John Adams
    "A gun is kind of like a parachute. If you need one and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again".

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Since they are in housing off campus and over the age of 18, I don't know of many places they cannot own a shotgun. I'd make sure my kid had one, and knew when and how to safely use it. I would also install a lock on their bedroom door. That would give them a little extra time to get the gun and prepare to defend themselves.
    goldshellback likes this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

My son had a Mossberg in his room before he turned 21 and got his CCP. Not a dorm, mind you.
    goldshellback likes this.

in maine there is a loophole you cant purchace a handgun untill you are 21 but can possess one when your 18 and get your CWP when 18...

I know in utah, someone under 21 can legally have a handgun, they just can't buy it. If they are under 18, they can still posses a handgun with written permission from a parent. Laws vary, check the laws in the states they might end up in. If Utah is a possibility, we have decent firearms laws. Wouldn't help them on school campuses, as they would need the CCP to be exempt from the FGFSZ act, but some protection is better than none!

Quote Originally Posted by 9mmHP View Post
    in maine there is a loophole you cant purchace a handgun untill you are 21 but can possess one when your 18 and get your CWP when 18...

SHHHH!!!
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

I lived in off campus housing after I turned 19. I had all of my rifles and my U22 since you don't need to be 21 to possess a handgun.

When my cousin left Aunt and Uncles house in Louisiana to go to college in Texas, my Uncle ( a sheriffs deputy then) made sure her .357 S&W he'd gotten fo her was with her. She had been hunting with us for years, knew guns and how to handel 'em, and could 'hang' with any of 'us' boys. She was a Kilgore Rangerette so don't think she was all 'tom-boy' either.

My Uncle also taught her many lessons he'd learned while in law enforcement. All those evil, nasty things you don't hear about but reality nonetheless. She knew the score and what was what before she left home. This was back in the 80's.

She still has that S&W, along with others she 'aquired'. She taught her now husband how to shoot.

My daughter's fixn' to start college, and her sister next year......... I learned how to prepare them through my uncle teaching his 'girl'.
    Graduation gifts for my girls will include, at the very least, a 'boom-stick', maybe even a S&W........

Stories like this scare me and make me wanna ensure my 'girls' are ready when they leave the nest.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Had a shotgun in my school dorm along with a .357 Colt Trooper. Never advertised that I had them. Use the shotgun for bird hunting in the fall. If I was caught probably would have got a reprimand back then. With our politically society today there no telling what they would do today. Back then I was not the only one that had a firearm in there dorm room, it was fairly common for the country boys to have a few firearms for hunting.
    Last edited by Stoner; June 12th, 2012 at 12:00 AM.

When I left for my first year of college, I contemplated my personal defense capabilities and realized I was very limited in options. For the past three years, I have lived in on campus housing (where any gun, even water guns and such are strictly prohibited). Considering the punishment for possession of a firearm on a college campus, I found myself unable to keep a firearm with me. I know of individuals who hid long guns and pistols in their cars and dorm rooms, however I could not warrant the risk of getting caught. In my opinion, I could not jeopardize my educational future as I plan on attending medical school. Getting caught with a weapon on any campus is bad news, however getting caught with a weapon in your room or in your car as a student is even worse. Some options to consider that differ from my situation could be: living off campus or less-than-lethal options for use on campus. It seems that this incident occurred in an off camus residence which led me to assume that the victims could have possessed firearms legally. If you have the options and definitely want to keep a weapon with you, off campus housing is definitely the best option. Nevertheless, I have been able to carry a knife successfully everyday while on campus and I am also considering keeping pepper spray or a taser in my backpack.

BTW this is my first post and glad to be a member. If anyone has any suggestions for my situation as well, I would love to hear em'.

Quote Originally Posted by CalebClimbs View Post
    When I left for my first year of college, I contemplated my personal defense capabilities and realized I was very limited in options. For the past three years, I have lived in on campus housing (where any gun, even water guns and such are strictly prohibited). Considering the punishment for possession of a firearm on a college campus, I found myself unable to keep a firearm with me. I know of individuals who hid long guns and pistols in their cars and dorm rooms, however I could not warrant the risk of getting caught. In my opinion, I could not jeopardize my educational future as I plan on attending medical school. Getting caught with a weapon on any campus is bad news, however getting caught with a weapon in your room or in your car as a student is even worse. Some options to consider that differ from my situation could be: living off campus or less-than-lethal options for use on campus. It seems that this incident occurred in an off camus residence which led me to assume that the victims could have possessed firearms legally. If you have the options and definitely want to keep a weapon with you, off campus housing is definitely the best option. Nevertheless, I have been able to carry a knife successfully everyday while on campus and I am also considering keeping pepper spray or a taser in my backpack.

BTW this is my first post and glad to be a member. If anyone has any suggestions for my situation as well, I would love to hear em'.
    Welcome aboard!

I've taught my daughter well when it comes to firearms. She's only 18 now, just graduated and says that when she's 21 the first thing she's going to do is get her license to carry. Seems like a long ways away to Dad as she's moving on, going to be alone probably a lot of the time as she makes her way. My problem is that I know that she can handle it now, but gotta wait. I can only hope that I've also taught her well enough to stay away from stupid places, at stupid times, and stupid people.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar
    My wife, girlfriend at the time, was in the house we lived in located just off campus (across the road from a univ dorm) with a broken leg when some guys broke in. First they knocked on the front door. She thought that the friend who lived downstairs locked himself out. They saw here and went around to the back and tried kicking in the door. When that didn't work, they came in a window. She managed to get herself locked in a bedroom (locks on the doors) with a knife and phone (before cell phones were common). Fortunately, we had installed a monitored alarm system (approved by the house owner) and for some reason I had set it so that it was fully active downstairs including the motion sensors, but left it so she could get around upstairs. When they came in the window, they grabbed a few things and then went to the living room area where they set off the alarm instantly which caused them to exit right back out the window.

In hind sight, we should have had a shotgun at least. This incident, combined with being followed a few times, prompted her grandfather to offer to buy and get her a gun, which she refused (under 21). It also had a lot to do with why she has her permit and carries now.

The college I went to living off campus was senior privilege, otherwise students had to live in the dorms. My senior year I decided to get a small apartment alone a few blocks off campus. One night walking home after an evening class I noticed a guy walking on the opposite sidewalk in the opposite direction. After he passed me I looked over my shoulder and saw him crossing the street so we were on the same side. A few seconds later I looked over my shoulder to see him running in my direction! I carried mace back then so I braced myself (instead of trying to outrun him, in hindsight not necessarily very smart) and turned slightly so when he grabbed me from behind it was more on my left side leaving my right arm free. I maced the heck out of him (and thanks to a breeze, myself too) and he luckily immediately ran off. Ran home, locked the doors and called the police. Later that night the police brought him to my front door for me to identify him (don't even get me started on how mad THAT got me - now he knows where I live!) it was him, turns out he was only 15 and lived very close to my apartment. I pressed charges, his parents begged me to drop the charges ("he's just curious" they said) but I held firm. For a short time i slept on my couch with a knife under my pillow but before long i moved into our sorority chapter room in the greek dorm for the rest of the semester. He was released to his parents and before our court date he attacked 2 other women on the sidewalk - each of them he grabbed them from behind, apparently felt their breasts and ran off. Neither pressed charges. So when it went to court there was only my attack which was barely one because I immediately ran him off. He got probation and released to his parents. Months later I found out he broke into a woman's apartment in the night, held a knife to her throat and tried to sexually assault her. She fought him off and he was arrested again. I've often wondered about him, wondering just how nasty an adult he turned into. I didn't even consider getting a gun back then, I'm sure I wouldn't have been able to walk around on a college campus with one anyway, but I did learn a lesson about walking around at night in what I always perceived as a safe small town.
    oakchas and Spirit51 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by mprp View Post
    Welcome aboard!

I've taught my daughter well when it comes to firearms. She's only 18 now, just graduated and says that when she's 21 the first thing she's going to do is get her license to carry. Seems like a long ways away to Dad as she's moving on, going to be alone probably a lot of the time as she makes her way. My problem is that I know that she can handle it now, but gotta wait. I can only hope that I've also taught her well enough to stay away from stupid places, at stupid times, and stupid people.
    I was the same way, and just having turned 21, took the handgun course and now I am waiting for my permit. Ever since I was 18 I counted the days down to my 21st birthday. Thankfully I never ran into any situations where a firearm would have been necessary while away from home attending school. I am glad to hear she is situationally aware, that is in my opinion the best defense when you can not carry. At my university, living off campus is also a privilege allowed only to seniors, and thankfully I wont have to live on campus if I choose not to for this coming year.

Quote Originally Posted by Lish View Post
    The college I went to living off campus was senior privilege, otherwise students had to live in the dorms. My senior year I decided to get a small apartment alone a few blocks off campus. One night walking home after an evening class I noticed a guy walking on the opposite sidewalk in the opposite direction. After he passed me I looked over my shoulder and saw him crossing the street so we were on the same side. A few seconds later I looked over my shoulder to see him running in my direction! I carried mace back then so I braced myself (instead of trying to outrun him, in hindsight not necessarily very smart) and turned slightly so when he grabbed me from behind it was more on my left side leaving my right arm free. I maced the heck out of him (and thanks to a breeze, myself too) and he luckily immediately ran off. Ran home, locked the doors and called the police. Later that night the police brought him to my front door for me to identify him (don't even get me started on how mad THAT got me - now he knows where I live!) it was him, turns out he was only 15 and lived very close to my apartment. I pressed charges, his parents begged me to drop the charges ("he's just curious" they said) but I held firm. For a short time i slept on my couch with a knife under my pillow but before long i moved into our sorority chapter room in the greek dorm for the rest of the semester. He was released to his parents and before our court date he attacked 2 other women on the sidewalk - each of them he grabbed them from behind, apparently felt their breasts and ran off. Neither pressed charges. So when it went to court there was only my attack which was barely one because I immediately ran him off. He got probation and released to his parents. Months later I found out he broke into a woman's apartment in the night, held a knife to her throat and tried to sexually assault her. She fought him off and he was arrested again. I've often wondered about him, wondering just how nasty an adult he turned into. I didn't even consider getting a gun back then, I'm sure I wouldn't have been able to walk around on a college campus with one anyway, but I did learn a lesson about walking around at night in what I always perceived as a safe small town.
    Thanks for sharing that, Lish... I really feel badly for women on campus who can't protect themselves with anything but mace. Some universities hand out their own version of rape kits... with a whistle... Yipeee... Like that's gonna stop someone...

Some of the gals in the military have suffered as well, and they can carry guns... (but usually not on base or in base camp).

It's a shame we send our daughters into harms way... when it shouldn't be that way...
    Spirit51 and Lish like this.
    It could be worse.
    "The History of our Revolution will be one continued Lye from one end to the other."
    John Adams
    "A gun is kind of like a parachute. If you need one and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again".

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links