Can we cut your grass?

This is a discussion on Can we cut your grass? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; We had a couple of guys in the neighborhood doing this. My big dogs persuaded them to try another house......

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree65Likes

Thread: Can we cut your grass?

We had a couple of guys in the neighborhood doing this. My big dogs persuaded them to try another house...
    Buckj likes this.
    US Air Force, 1986 - 2007

"To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them..." George Mason

2. Remove Ads

A co-worker of my dad's had something similar happen. So I guess the co worker is really close with the neighbor. Lend tools, equipment..etc. Well I guess his grill came up missing when he went to use. He associated it to the neighbor having a cookout with family, I guess it wasn't unheard of for them to do that without asking each other. Well the grill re-appeared, so he went to go use it and found a envelope inside. Inside that, were a pair of Pistons tickets for a game with a note that said something to the affect of "thanks letting me borrow the grill, enjoy." So they went to the game, came home to find their home gone through with major big ticket items gone. Sad deal there...I don't answer the door with out a gun, unless it's a neighbor or someone I know. Who outside of the cub/girl scout, maybe a occasional teenage athletic crew looking for pop cans (which unless I know them they get the same treatment) go door to door? My buddies aunt in law sleeps with ear plugs and a mat deal over her eyes because she snores and works nights. They caught a group of early adults BE by knocking and going in if no one answered. Well she never answered and they stole the tv right out of her bedroom while she was sleeping. Sleep knowing that.

Quote Originally Posted by smolck View Post
    I always let my GSD answer the door. He cut's down on the would be sales people. Good doggie!
    Funny thing, before I can get close to the door mine lets out a few deep barks, and by the time I get to the door... I can see them walking away....... and if I say something to them, they just say.... "thanks, but we'll stop by another time", and never come back. Of course normally all 3 dogs are standing by me at that point.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

We had a similar situation here a couple years ago. There had been a string of bulgeries in the area, all during the day. One of my neighbors had someone knock on the door and ask if the car in the driveway for for sale (with no sign on it). He said no, they left. 20 min later he left for work and noticed the same car behind him that had been parked in his driveway before when someone knocked. A couple miles down the road he noticed the car made a uturn, he didn't think much about it. An hour later his partner came home and they had been robbed - most likely the person knocking was seeing if they were home and happened to see him leave.

A couple months later I was washing dishes and noticed through the window a truck coming up my driveway. It parked nest to my house but no one came to the front door. I went to a back window and saw him walking around the back of my house and watched as he came back around to the front. He then knocked on my front door and I answered. He asked if I knew where Billy lived, he said he knew he didn't live here but thought it was around here. You have to understand, my driveway is 1/4 mile long and you can't see my house from the street. There are plenty of street front houses it would make more sense to stop at if you're looking for directions rather than go down a long grassy driveway. I said nope, I don't know who you're looking for and he left. I snapped pictures of his truck as he drve down the driveway and called the police to report suspicious activity. When they came out they agreed it made no sense for someone to come down my driveway when there are so many others you can see from the road. No doubt in my mind if I hadn't answered the door he'd have come in.

Just last year, I didn't hear the car and there was no knock. In the afternoon I went out the side door to take out the garbage and noticed the edge of the door was bent and the window was partially separated from the door. I called my husband to ask what in the world...(that's the door he uses every morning) and he assured me it wasn't like that when he left. All I can figure is someone assumed it was an empty house and while prying the door heard me or one of the kids. That's when I bought a gun and learned to use it. I also now have a camera pointing at that entrance which also catches the top of my driveway so I can monitor it while I'm home and record when I'm not. I have a Rottweiler living in my house now too (she used to spend most of her time on the back of the property in a cross fenced section far enough from the house no one would give her a second glance but she's now a full time inside dog)

No,but I can part your hair.

I never even answer the door if I dont know who it is. I can peek out the window and see whos on the porch. Forcibly enter my house and its game-over in accordance with CT general statutes 53-a19 and 53-a20

I have had that discussion with my wife and her response is, in addition to the fact that she will not answer the door, if something is not right and she feels threatened she will call 911. Well fine, but first, the NOT answering the door is a confirmation to the would be burglar that no one is at home but answering it might end up putting her in physical danger. So it's a rock and a hard place. The problem is, she does not carry and as of yet (I'm really working to turn this around) has no experience with using a firearm. She has not shot either my handgun or either of my rifles. Additionally, only having one handgun right now, if I'm out most likely I will have that one with me. As I frequently travel for business, (though I otherwise work out of my home) I can be out of town for a few days at a time during which she is at home alone and effectively unprotected.

I think the fact that normally we will always have at least one car in the driveway is a help. Of course if I'm out of town mine will be gone but her's will be there if she's home. I also insist that she keep up with the presence of flyers stuck in the storm door latch. Get rid of them.
    Dan,

CZ82 nut

Quote Originally Posted by danwdooley View Post
    I have had that discussion with my wife and her response is, in addition to the fact that she will not answer the door, if something is not right and she feels threatened she will call 911. Well fine, but first, the NOT answering the door is a confirmation to the would be burglar that no one is at home but answering it might end up putting her in physical danger. So it's a rock and a hard place. The problem is, she does not carry and as of yet (I'm really working to turn this around) has no experience with using a firearm. She has not shot either my handgun or either of my rifles. Additionally, only having one handgun right now, if I'm out most likely I will have that one with me. As I frequently travel for business, (though I otherwise work out of my home) I can be out of town for a few days at a time during which she is at home alone and effectively unprotected.

I think the fact that normally we will always have at least one car in the driveway is a help. Of course if I'm out of town mine will be gone but her's will be there if she's home. I also insist that she keep up with the presence of flyers stuck in the storm door latch. Get rid of them.
    Get a pump shotgun and get her to the range. Get a 20 gauge if you have to. If you have no children in the house she could keep it readily available. The sound of chambering a round may be all she needs to change someones mind.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

Maybe I'm just not old and paranoid enough yet but I answer my door without gun in hand. (Neighborhood kids mowing lawns, selling coupons books for the school, etc...) As a kid I mowed lawns and would like to assume someone didn't nearly shoot me for simply knocking on their door.

A friend and I would go to the houses that looked like they didn't cut their lawn often (Hence them not going door to door) and we would make a list if addresses that we would cut and knock them all out the following weekend. (Hence them not having mowers with them.)

The reason that society has changed are things like this. Realizing there are this many overly paranoid people about something as simple as a knock on your door means I will never let my children have their own business thus ending the era of young people with business asperations. So it seems unfair to completely blame young kids for this change.

Just my opinion...
    tolduonce and Spade115 like this.

I'll also add I'm not saying there is never a reason to not answer or answer armed.

A few months back I noticed out my kids bedroom window there was a car blocking my driveway. I looked out the window and didn't see anyone at my front door but a few second later a guy came walking from beside my house. (Where my ATV trailer and basement windows are.) He walked through my front yard and knocked on my door. At that point I grabbed my .38 and threw it in my pocket before answering. He asked for someone who didn't live here then proceeded to my neighbors house and knocked on their door as well. He drove away within a few minutes so i'm assuming they told him the same as I did.

That was a situation I felt warranted a self defense tool.

Again just my opinion. (Which usually isn't worth much. LOL)

I worry if I don't answer it I send the signal no one is home so even if I don't know who's knocking (I peek through the window and check the driveway camera) I will open it anytime someone knocks. Most of the time its a neighbor kid either wanting to play with my kids or looking for their dog/horse/donkey etc. (we live out in the country so I've had various animals wander through) We usually keep our truck (not a daily driver) parked near the house so it looks like someone is home even when we're not (although these days the battery is dead so the grass growing around it doesn't fool anyone, one of these days I'll get around to jumping it and moving it). I don't answer with gun in hand but I do have a hand on a large dog and my gun is always holstered to me so it's close if I need it.

A knock on the door is becoming more of tactic around here for the ones up to no good to use the "can I cut your grass", or "do you have any scrap you need hauled off " line.
    All the while just being a tactic to see if anyone is home and a chance to scope out the house.
    Just last month a friend of mine was leaving out to take his young son to school. He lives on a dead end street with just a few houses on it. When he was pulling out of the driveway he noticed a unfamiliar truck coming down the street. He didnt think much of it thinking it was going to one of his neighbors homes on down the street.
    The school is only like a mile from his house and while he was dropping his kid off at school his wife who was still at home (with her car in the garage) called him and asked if he was letting someone borrow his boat. He said no why, and she told him someone had backed up their driveway to it. Needless to say he was home very quickly and blocked the guy in before the guy was even out of his truck.
    Fella pulled the old "im just looking to cut grass" line even though he had backed up a long drive way and was right in line to hook up and go. The husband had his CCW discreetly in his hand when he got out to check out the guy and politely informed the fella that he didn't need his grass cut and it would be a good idea if he didn't see him ever again.
    He called the police and reported the suspicious activity and the guys tag #..... I found out 2 weeks after I heard that story from my neighbor who is a local LEO that the same "im just looking to cut grass" guy was doing B&E and had been caught not once. but twice in two weeks withen 3 miles of my friends home.

Always if safely possible get a tag # and description of anyone coming around who "just doesnt seem right" and report it.

Ive started carring to the door, Ive also started locking the door and when walking the dog too

Quote Originally Posted by STLRampage View Post
    The reason that society has changed are things like this. Realizing there are this many overly paranoid people about something as simple as a knock on your door means I will never let my children have their own business thus ending the era of young people with business asperations. So it seems unfair to completely blame young kids for this change.

Just my opinion...
    Why send them door to door to door to this, there are other better ways to get the word out

Howdy and glad to have you here...BTW my cows will mow your grass for free and leave the fertilizer behind

I have had folks wanting to trim trees or gravel my road from the house to the highway or check to see if i need to reroof the house...i kindly tell them no...all the while carrying on my hip...I love the USA and Texas !!!

Senior Member Array Inspector71's Avatar
    I'm glad I read this thread. Answered an age old question for me. When I was a boy I used to deliver papers. In a rural community that is not an easy job for a boy having to walk house to house (usually uphill, both ways). The hardest part of the job was on Thursday evening when I had to collect for a weeks worth of papers. Very few people would answer the door. Now I know why. They were scared of me and hiding in the house. That job didn't last long as I couldn't afford to pay for the papers for all those scaredy cats
    If you can read this, thank a teacher. Because it's in English, thank a vet

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links