Can we cut your grass?

This is a discussion on Can we cut your grass? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have talked about my in-laws before on here. They deal with the same exact thing in Milwaukee. In the winter it's can we shovel ...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree65Likes

Thread: Can we cut your grass?

I have talked about my in-laws before on here. They deal with the same exact thing in Milwaukee. In the winter it's can we shovel your snow, in the summer its the grass and you guessed it fall is the leaves. They are just casing homes to see if people are home or not. They have been broken into so many times that they have all their valuables at my house. My FIL keeps a loaded shotgun close to every door now when he is home. He has had his life threaten more than once in his lovely neighborhood. To those who will say "tell him to move" been there done that. If you can convince a 65 yr old stubborn Irishman to move out of his neighborhood of over 30 years I say good luck to you. You would have thought that the fact that none of his grand kids are allowed down there would be a motivating factor... not so much. Its an unfortunate situation when you become a prisoner in your own home for fear of going in your yard.

2. Remove Ads

glad this went well for you. i carry indoors too

We have had a new twist on the old scam.

Person comes to the door and says you "won" a free carpet cleaning and he/she wants to come in to start. All they are carrying is a can of febreeze. I haven't fallen for it, but the scam is they find out as much as they can about your household and what you own and the layout....then return when the home owners are gone and steal all they can.

They come around about twice a year to try this. Not here anymore, but to other homes.
    A woman must not depend on protection by men. A woman must learn to protect herself.
    Susan B. Anthony
    A armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one has to back it up with his life.
    Robert Heinlein

I am really glad I read this thread. A no solicitation sign is the first thing im getting this weekend. Fliers left in doors really does signal "nobody is here come rob me".
    I am curious, can businesses get in trouble for leaving fliers at places with mentioned signs?

Also how about next time dont answer the door and pretend your gone. Let them begin to break in and call the police.

Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    I'd say feeling sad regarding your observations is an appropriate response. I fear you are correct, and that those days are long gone. However, I've managed to purchase an extension of those days by sending my son to a private school that has the values that I was brought up with and cherish the most. On that campus, you'll swear you've gone back in time, with the polite and genuine way the kids and teachers treat one another. As I type this, he's at a summer camp with those same school friends, having the time of their life canoeing, fishing, jumping off of cliffs into the water, etc..

I often remind my son that the world that he lives in is artificial and does not represent the 'real world' out there. I'll point out news articles of what other kids his age are doing, and remind him that the day will come that he will live among them. I've taught him to fight and to shoot (the latter part has become expensive, as he's a bigger gun nut than me now). But for now, I'm giving him the best childhood that I can.
    Thank you for raising yours right. This is basically what it comes down to. Parents HAVE to take the responsibility of being parents. With both of my boys I always tried to emphasize the important things - family, true friends, self etc.... Sure I made some mistakes along the way but am confident that both make the lives around them better, and that is all you can ask. If we can get more parents to BE parents I think we do have a chance of reversing the trend. Will be tough though with all of the distractions readily available nowadays.
    ccw9mm and NONAME762 like this.

Senior Member Array GentlemanJim's Avatar
    I grew up in a Navy town and as a kid I made a fortune mowing lawns for all the Navy wives when the fleet was out. $5 bucks front and back. I walked all over town pushing my dad's mower.

Times sure have changed.

Stay safe.
    OldVet likes this.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by GentlemanJim View Post
    I grew up in a Navy town and as a kid I made a fortune mowing lawns for all the Navy wives when the fleet was out. $5 bucks front and back. I walked all over town pushing my dad's mower.

Times sure have changed.

Stay safe.
    While I detested mowing grass, I also knew kids who earned their spending money doing yard work and various tasks. but that was in the days of not locking the doors unless leaving town for an extended period. After all, a neighbor might need a cup of sugar while you were at work, which was rewarded with a pie in return.

I could go back to the '50s in a heartbeat. I didn't have all this electronic gumbo then and got by perfectly without it. The world is so cynical now. It's just not fun anymore.
    Retired USAF E-8. Avatar is OldVet from days long gone. Oh, to be young again.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by paaiyan View Post
    Welcome, and that story sounds similar to a previous neighbor of mine. She was just getting out of the shower when someone knocked on her door. She got on a robe or something, and as she got to the door and started to open it the doorknob jiggled. She opened it fast (stupidly) and there was a stunned black male standing there and he stuttered about mowing her yard. She promptly told him off and he went his way. We watched this happen and were about to go over when he stood on the porch too long. She came over and told us what happened, so we called the cops.

This was at about 9:30 at night.

Go find 10 teenagers and ask them what solicitation means. I dare you.
    and probably a lot less know what solsitation is

Quote Originally Posted by GentlemanJim View Post

Times sure have changed.

Stay safe.
    Yeah, they sure have. And it's a damn shame, too. Seems that there are goblins all over the place.

Yesterday, I had two -well, let's just call 'em "gentlemen"- in their late 20s - early 30s knocking at my front door. I refused to open it and they insisted on addressing me even though I refused to open the door. Had I not, just the day before, shoveled the 10" of snow from the driveway and front porch and walk, I might have mistaken their request to shovel my driveway, front porch, and sidewalk an honest attempt to earn a little money. I thanked them for their concern -through the still locked door, of course- and they let loose with some rather bad language. I am glad that they didn't attempt to force their way in as has been done in some instances around here, because I was adequately prepared to address that problem should it arise.

While they got that out of their systems, I quietly contacted the PD, and had a marked unit sent out to help these guys find something better to do as I watched them walk down my driveway making obscene gestures at the front of my house. Gotta call later from an ex-partner that they had both been picked up on the next street east of mine doing the same thing and had a couple of outstanding warrants. I hope that they enjoy their weekend downtown.
    NONAME762 likes this.
    My favorite "gun" book-

QUANTITATIVE AMMUNITION SELECTION

Distinguished Member Array tcox4freedom's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by smolck View Post
    I always let my GSD answer the door. He cut's down on the would be sales people. Good doggie!
    My APBTs do a good job at this as well. Even though they are inside the house (unless they're being walked), they can be seen & heard through the window when you pull up in your car. My friends won't even get out of the car until I come outside & meet them. The few strangers we get around here usually turn around immediately and leave without even thinking about leaving their car.

-

Quote Originally Posted by tolduonce View Post
    First post, great forum. Right off the bat, let me say I'm in the process of getting a CPL, so I can't carry outside of the home. I do carry inside the house about 50% of the time. Only started doing this recently after crime rate took a big uptick in my fairly safe neighborhood.

Here's my story. . .
    I had a similar experience with some young males "looking for a lost dog." I was walking around from the back of the house and walked up on them. One was knocking on the door while the other peeked in the window. (My car was in the shop.) I asked if I could help them and the guy stammered and started talking about a lost dog. I put my hands on my hips and made sure to brush my coat back when I did. The grip of my Sig was very visible poking out of my shoulder rig.

I said, "he sure as hell ain't in the house. So you can come away from that window." The guy at the window turned and saw my pistol. He bleated, "Oh ****." He took off running and his friend followed close behind. I called the cops and they sent an officer. When he got out of the car he got a call about two guys trapped in a storage building behind a house. A neighbor's three dogs had cornered them while they were trying to get an air compressor and generator.

It turned out they were the same guys I stopped from pulling a home invasion on my neighbor a few years ago. None of us recognized each other.

The moral, carry anytime you can on your property. Congrats on the permit and the decent reaction.
    NONAME762 and ccw9mm like this.
    Remember the teacher telling you to “Bring enough for everybody”? That applies to gunfights, too. ~ Sarge @ Sarge's Roll Call

Distinguished Member
    Thanks for alerting us about some of these scams and tactics "tolduonce". To all those who contributed to the original post thank you all too. This is how we all help each other here.
    NONAME762 likes this.
    I shoot with a pistol and a Canon. We must all hang together amigos, or we will all hang separately. NRA life member.

Greetings From Richmond/Rosenberg, TX
    If you can, always carry, you can't choose the moments, they choose you. - Colion Noir (2013)

A number of years ago when my in-laws were living, my MIL actually had someone walk in. My FIL had left to go the drug store. He did not lock the back door. My MIL heard the door open and thought he must have forgotten something. This young kid walked in and toward her around the dining table. My MIL was so shocked she could not say anything. The kid asked if the needed anything done around the house. Me hen she finally came to her senses she told him no and to get out and that he should not walk in people's houses. He said ok and walked out. After that they started locking the door.

I can only imagine what could have happened. And even worse with her health, the shock could have caused a heart attack.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Using Tapatalk

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links