Sportsman's Warehouse Scuffle

This is a discussion on Sportsman's Warehouse Scuffle within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello all, figured I'd throw yesterday's episode at ya. A while back there was a thread with the meat and potatos being, "getting involved and ...

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By SpencerB
  • 2 Post By Harryball
  • 1 Post By ppkheat

Thread: Sportsman's Warehouse Scuffle

Hello all, figured I'd throw yesterday's episode at ya. A while back there was a thread with the meat and potatos being, "getting involved and what you would do etc." and why it is important to be a good witness, get the cavalry on the way and remain calm. Here's an example that kept me out of trouble.

Well, yesterday my brother and I rolled up on roughly the 4th parking space in from the entrance of the Sportsman's Warehouse in Redding where the screaming of a young lady caught everyone's attention in the county. As we looked toward the store, there was a man about twice the young lady's size, grabbing for her purse and twisting her arm as she fought him with what appeared to be everything that she had. Of course, instinct got the best of my brother, (unarmed) as he muttered, "I don't think so pal" and began to run toward the situation.

I then replied to my brother, "Yeah, no #^$&! and grabbed my cell phone, dialed 911. Which by the way was a FAIL because in keeping my eye on the situation and trying to be a good witness I failed to actually hit the CALL button. Note to self.....

I then yelled for my brother to stay out of it as I didn't know if this guy was armed, didn't see it from the beginning and I didn't want to be forced to use deadly force because of the chance that my brother now made this guy escalte the situation. I cracked my truck door open and positioned myself to be able to draw my 45 if this turned uglier than it already was and remained in my truck. It was then that I realized I hadn't hit the call button but it was ready to go. Just as I was about to actually hit call, I noticed a chain of events that just didn't add up to the horrific trail that we seemed to have been on. My brother hadn't pummeled this guy and was only watching, a petite female store employee was doing the same and the adrenaline charged "victim's" fight was diminishing and pretty much didn't exist by the time that the plain-clothed "attacker" turned her around in handcuffs. Shoplifters get that treatment sometimes.

Funny thing is, there were flashes of that thread from the DC forum and things that were said by a few that passed through my thoughts. Most of which was, "You didn't see it from the beginning!" Is there a moral to the story? Not sure, but I'm not in jail getting sick because I acted too hastily. I just hope that this can be another example of the benefits of remaining calm and thought I would share.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

Sounds like you did fine. You are absolutely right, you didn't see it from the beginning and you just never know. Did you talk with your brother after the incident about his initial intentions?
    Spade115 likes this.

We sort of had a debriefing afterwards and talked about what was going on in our minds when it appeared to be an assault. I stressed to him the importance of hanging back and being a good witness along with calling for help, especially if you hadn't seen it from the start and don't know what's going on. He agreed with where I was coming from, noting that I was also carrying a firearm and could see how bad decision making and overreacting could have resulted in trouble.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

Your SA on this was very good, so was your judgement not to rush in and be a hero. If the young lady really needed your help, you and your brother would have been in the right place to help. I commend you on your actions..
    mano3 and Spade115 like this.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

VIP Member
    Another option we have, and may be hard to remember at the time, is using your cell phone to video the event.

To say never get involved, is about as wrong as to say get involved everytime. IMO the correct involvment is somewhere between the two. It just depends........
    Spade115 likes this.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Good job buddy. I can see where this could have gotten ugly FAST!

Sent from my DROID RAZR

sgb
    Observe, evaluate, think ................. before you act.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

VIP Member
    Poker player's axiom: "If you don't know everything, you don't know anything."

Well done.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

Quote Originally Posted by mprp View Post
    Funny thing is, there were flashes of that thread from the DC forum and things that were said by a few that passed through my thoughts. Most of which was, "You didn't see it from the beginning!" Is there a moral to the story? Not sure, but I'm not in jail getting sick because I acted too hastily.
    Crucial to keep in mind, when out and about, 'cause without sufficient info one can be insanely off-base about the reality of a situation.

Great awareness, willingness to help, and clear-headed view of reality.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

A post worth reading for 'experience'...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Good post, Before if I saw a girl in trouble ive jumped in to help the way people are now a days and the more plain cloths officers I see now a days it stays on my mind of taking a bullet for someone I am trying to help that I dont know dosnt sound like the plan/job for me.
    When life gives you lemons, Open a lemonaid buisness.

Great post! If nothing else this serves to remind us that when we happen upon a situation like that it is best to step back, remain calm, and call 911 before we put ourselves in an even worse position.

Yep, you never know.

I pulled up on a situation where two men could have easily been seen as "attacking this woman" and trying to force her to the ground. I knew they were two probation officers, and this was a woman who had numerous visits to jail and didn't want to make another one. They were there to return her to jail for a probation violation. I stopped , went up and put cuffs on her and got her under control to aid them.

Someone who would have interferred, would have been in jail as well.

However, on the other side, most LEO's have had a good samaritan enter a situation to aid someone when they misinterpreted the situation.... and once the LEO advises them that they "are the Police" , are smart enough to back off and stay out of it. Only know of one where a neighbor of the person came out with a shotgun and told them to leave the person alone... and when they identified themselves...... decided to go put the shotgun back up. No harm, no foul... and never pointed it at anyone.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Links