I Wanna Hold Your Hand - Page 2

I Wanna Hold Your Hand

This is a discussion on I Wanna Hold Your Hand within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Had a guy one-up this in the crowd during a NASCAR race where I was volunteering. Young kids, maybe 20-25, all with their shirts over ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: I Wanna Hold Your Hand

Had a guy one-up this in the crowd during a NASCAR race where I was volunteering. Young kids, maybe 20-25, all with their shirts over their shoulders - it was a hot day. As they walk past, I'm aware of them, but they're smoking and joking, not paying anyone any mind. I hate crowds and I'm a bit on edge, but not worried about these kids at all. They just look like they're having a good time.

Then one suddenly leans over and grabs at me with both arms - later, I think he was trying to hug me... wierd. I ducked out of the move and pushed his arms aside thinking he was going after me, and am ready to go but fully expecting to get pummelled by the group. Jackie Chan I am not. He sort of rubs my hair briefly as I duck under one arm and behind him, then looks over his shoulder, smiles briefly (not an evil or malicious smile, a genuine, "Hey bud, hope you like the race" type of smile - double wierd), and keeps going on, laughing with his buds (a couple turn to look, but that's it). I watched till they were out of sight and didn't see them doing that to anyone else, and still don't get it. Pretty sure it was some sort of dare, and harmless, but I can see someone with a hot temper running him down afterwards.

I guess I should search to see if I'm on a Youtube prank video somewhere.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    I don't see how this qualifies to be under the carry and defensive scenario subforum. It appears to be an experiment of sorts and the actors behave as if it was accidental. There actions are nothing like someone trying to assault or attack but like an accidental brushing. It could perhaps be viewed as a distraction for a pick pocket but come on.

It hope it would take a lot more for any of us to treat something like is shown in those videos as an assault/attack. Although it looks like an interesting way to meet someone.. "oh excuse me, may name is yoda, do you come here often? whats your sign?"
    I guess in the world of flash-mobs and other strange occurrences, I can see folks being a bit more high-strung than in the past. What is depicted in the Youtube I attached hereto is fairly tame, but if someone comes up from behing and begins to grab/hold your hand, you do have to assess the situation pretty quickly. For those of us how carry, you have to keep the dragon in its cave until otherwise warranted. You also have to evaluate whether this is a precursor to a gun grab or other felony action against you.

In the case at hand, it was just a goofball and breaking free, gaining some distance from him and possibly having a word or two are all that are justified. However, unless you have eyes in the back of your head, you really don't know what is up until you assess the situation.

I see this section as a "what do you do if ... and you are carrying" area. I think it is a scenario that is worth consideration as such. In the video, we are seeing it all from the front and have a perspective on what is going on. If you were in such a situation in the real world, you would have a different perspective.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

Senior Member Array Inspector71's Avatar
    These adolescent minded pranksters running around with their video camera rolling for a funny you tube clip is going to end in something bad happening one of these days. Playing a prank on a close friend is one thing, playing a prank on a complete stranger is something else altogether. I, for one, fail to see the humor in it and they may get alot more than the childish belly laughs they are looking for.
    OD* and darbo like this.
    If you can read this, thank a teacher. Because it's in English, thank a vet

I would have probably just stopped and eyed him before he tried to touch me for being too close.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Inspector71 View Post
    That video is disgusting! If a stranger did that to me while I'm walking and minding my own business, he's just earned himself a fist to his chops. Not the politically correct response no doubt, but the question was what would I do.
    Myself and most of my friends would have the same reaction, you grab at me I will assume your actions are not benign.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

I don't see this as a incident that would make me fear for my life and draw down on this kid, but he would KNOW not to do that. I don't see it as being a assault, but I see it as being incredibly rude. That doesn't deserve a weapon....but a sharp look or word. "Don't touch me stranger." If that doesn't work...I will reevaluate and my cane may come into play.
    A woman must not depend on protection by men. A woman must learn to protect herself.
    Susan B. Anthony
    A armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one has to back it up with his life.
    Robert Heinlein

Senior Member Array Inspector71's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Spirit51 View Post
    I don't see this as a incident that would make me fear for my life and draw down on this kid, but he would KNOW not to do that. I don't see it as being a assault, but I see it as being incredibly rude. That doesn't deserve a weapon....but a sharp look or word. "Don't touch me stranger." If that doesn't work...I will reevaluate and my cane may come into play.
    Touch me again stranger and I'll smack you so hard you'll have to roll down your socks to poop!! I might even chuckle a little myself at a video of that
    Spirit51 likes this.
    If you can read this, thank a teacher. Because it's in English, thank a vet

This all could have been avoided by open carrying.
    PEF likes this.

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    ....say....your place or mine?

actually they did it nicely
    as in they used a long arm and not a close body
    SA aside id of not felt threatened

id have noticed the dude ahead with the camera so perhaps
    the hand would not have been a suprise
    but i walk with my hands close to my body so i think they would have
    given me a pass anyways.

how is it that so many are taken aback by this?
    had it been done in a different location...real crowded or dark and
    sparsly crowded--totally different perception.

this was more a ramdom act of cutness
    they picked or edited it for receptive people
    Arthritis sucks big-big
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

Distinguished Member Array Hoganbeg's Avatar
    Didn't I see one girl who's reaction was not to pull away, but a friendly, "Hi"? Looks like a missed opportunity for him.

Distinguished Member Array Ghettokracker71's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoganbeg View Post
    Didn't I see one girl who's reaction was not to pull away, but a friendly, "Hi"? Looks like a missed opportunity for him.
    I saw that too. She had a big smile and said "HI!" . If I wasn't mistaken, I also thought I spotted a guy who rolled with it at least for a few seconds.

I would probable just pull away and move along, no need to talk or confront him if thats all that happened, IMHO.

"To blame a gun for a mans decision is to foolishly attribute free will to an inanimate object"- Colion Noir.

Quote Originally Posted by NC Bullseye View Post

Distinguished Member Array Ghettokracker71's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NC Bullseye View Post
    Funny and probable true,...but it almost looked like the hall of a campus, which would probable not fair to great for OC

"To blame a gun for a mans decision is to foolishly attribute free will to an inanimate object"- Colion Noir.

That would depend on what she looked like!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Administrator
    I would probably give him a little kiss on the cheek and ask him if he wanted a bite of my Snickers bar.
    Either that or possibly punch him in the solar plexus and then crush his windpipe depending on how I was feeling that day.
    Spirit51 and archer51 like this.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links