I Wanna Hold Your Hand

This is a discussion on I Wanna Hold Your Hand within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; OK, this apparently happened and below is the Youtube link to the video. What would you do if a perfect stranger came up to you ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: I Wanna Hold Your Hand

VIP Member

I Wanna Hold Your Hand

OK, this apparently happened and below is the Youtube link to the video. What would you do if a perfect stranger came up to you and tried to hold your hand. Watch the video and see how several (apparently) random people reacted.

Holding People's Hand - YouTube
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Idiotic.

A perfect stranger wanting to put hands on me? I don't think so.

Talk about a lead in to a potential physical assault. Someone gets a grip on your hand, that leaves you open to any number of control techniques. The MA experts can name them for you.

Plus it is just wierd.
    surefire7 likes this.
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

Senior Member Array Chad Rogers's Avatar
    Pull away.

I wonder how many guys are researching their state self defense laws right now to see if physical contact like that justifies using deadly force...
    RoadRunner71 and Dadsnugun like this.
    "People who take an Internet handle of a great warrior, are usually the first to go fetal when crunch time comes." - Me

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar
    It would be a little bit weird in our culture. As I understand it, in some places, especially in parts of Asia, it is considered normal to walk holding hands with people. Not necessarily strangers, but coworkers and acquaintances and such and it implies a lot less intimacy than it does in most western cultures. As far as self defense goes, I think it would be classified as a simple assault, at most and even for that there would have to be some level of aggression to the action, as compared to the examples in the video.

VIP Member
    I would pull away and make a comment.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

I don't think so, skippy. Unless you are my grand daughter or other small child I know OR my hubby (who usually doesn't do that) keep your hands to yourself. I am not "touchy feely" type of person. After many years in the field I have my "circle" of personal space and I guard it...well. Public displays of "affection" are not something I am comfortable with from my family. I sure wouldn't let some stranger touch me. The person would be lucky if all he got was a "pull away" and the "stink eye". You wouldn't want some cuts from my rapier tongue. God help you if I feel the need to get physical.

As I used to explain it at work. "You have your space...I have mine. Respect it."
    Lish, Dennis1209, BkCo1 and 2 others like this.
    A woman must not depend on protection by men. A woman must learn to protect herself.
    Susan B. Anthony
    A armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one has to back it up with his life.
    Robert Heinlein

Quote Originally Posted by noway2 View Post
    It would be a little bit weird in our culture. As I understand it, in some places, especially in parts of Asia, it is considered normal to walk holding hands with people. Not necessarily strangers, but coworkers and acquaintances and such and it implies a lot less intimacy than it does in most western cultures. As far as self defense goes, I think it would be classified as a simple assault, at most and even for that there would have to be some level of aggression to the action, as compared to the examples in the video.
    I think it would be quite weird. Ask a bunch of people what do they think is more intimate, holding hands or sex? A lot of younger people will say holding hands.

What would you do if a perfect stranger came up to you and tried to hold your hand.
    Immediately, I'd break contact and back away a bit, likely with a comment to not do that. If clear signs of threatening behavior beyond the initial contact were evident, we'd proceed from there. The level of insistence and physicality involved would depend on how immediately the idiot got out of my face.

Of course, comfort level can vary with venue. IMO, the same thing occurring in a crowded bar/music area of a restaurant when amongst friends is one thing, to have an unknown come up and do that; on the street is something entirely different.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member
    I'm generally a pretty nice guy.

However, this goof would not like my reaction.

{Edit} Honestly, my first reaction would probably be to assume that he was a 'special needs' type. However, once I realized that he was just an idiot, I would provide negative reinforcement.

A forearm shiver would end his wanting to hold my hand....
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

he's a little ulgy for my taste

What would you do if a perfect stranger came up to you and tried to hold your hand.
    If the stranger happened to be female I'd be a pretty good sport about it.

I don't see how this qualifies to be under the carry and defensive scenario subforum. It appears to be an experiment of sorts and the actors behave as if it was accidental. There actions are nothing like someone trying to assault or attack but like an accidental brushing. It could perhaps be viewed as a distraction for a pick pocket but come on.

It hope it would take a lot more for any of us to treat something like is shown in those videos as an assault/attack. Although it looks like an interesting way to meet someone.. "oh excuse me, may name is yoda, do you come here often? whats your sign?"
    Yoda, I am, yes.

Senior Member Array Inspector71's Avatar
    That video is disgusting! If a stranger did that to me while I'm walking and minding my own business, he's just earned himself a fist to his chops. Not the politically correct response no doubt, but the question was what would I do.
    hogdaddy likes this.
    If you can read this, thank a teacher. Because it's in English, thank a vet

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    I don't see how this qualifies to be under the carry and defensive scenario subforum. It hope it would take a lot more for any of us to treat something like is shown in those videos as an assault/attack.
    Absolutely, it's strictly in the realm of 'potential precursor,' at least until further confirmation occurs. Still, one has every right to get a bit of distance, to evaluate the situation. As with any type of situation, only the level of force reasonably necessary makes any sense.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links