Shooting at Safeway, CCW intervenes. Would you?

This is a discussion on Shooting at Safeway, CCW intervenes. Would you? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I would like to think I would do the right thing. The only problem is we do not know exactly what was happening between our ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree37Likes

Thread: Shooting at Safeway, CCW intervenes. Would you?

I would like to think I would do the right thing. The only problem is we do not know exactly what was happening between our two individuals. The situation could have gone south real quick for our hero. Coming out against a drawn weapon. Im glad it worked out for him, but IMO this kinda of situation is a crap shoot.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array The Old Anglo's Avatar
    Id`a stayed back and been a good witness after I called 911. Not my fight.
    Spirit51 and Old School like this.

VIP Member
    While it seems things worked out OK for the good Samaritan, he needs to work on his SA.

"He showed me a permit, which I’m pretty sure had a Harrah address on it," Schilperoort said. "I turned away for a moment and he was gone. So I don’t know. Kind of bizarre."
    He's lucky he didn't get himself shot in that momentary lapse.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    While it seems things worked out OK for the good Samaritan, he needs to work on his SA.

"He showed me a permit, which I’m pretty sure had a Harrah address on it," Schilperoort said. "I turned away for a moment and he was gone. So I don’t know. Kind of bizarre."
    He's lucky he didn't get himself shot in that momentary lapse.

I think that translated as "I let him leave, but don't want to be quoted as saying in the paper"
    There are four boxes to be used in the defense of liberty: soap - ballot - jury - ammo

“The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie: deliberate, continued, and dishonest; but the myth: persistent, persuasive, and unrealistic.”
    -- John F. Kennedy

Sorry but no. I would have found cover and called The police. Yakima is not a big place and would have been there quick. Logic? Victim has already been shot. He has his gun out. Police are better armed and have numbers

Just call 911...let the cops handle it!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Nope... Never went to law enforcement school, or became a cop... unless my life or families life is in danger I'm not getting involved.

Sorry, y'all are on your own. :)

WE ARE NOT COPS and we don't have a responsibility to do anything but stay alive. Shootings over and one man fled so the only thing to do if you want to get involved is render aid to the injured
    Spirit51 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by barstoolguru View Post
    WE ARE NOT COPS and we don't have a responsibility to do anything but stay alive. Shootings over and one man fled so the only thing to do if you want to get involved is render aid to the injured
    I would not intervene, as I stated earlier. However according to the 'hero' and witnesses, the shooter had not fled and appeared to be preparing to finish off the victim. Does that change anything for you?

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2
    There are four boxes to be used in the defense of liberty: soap - ballot - jury - ammo

“The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie: deliberate, continued, and dishonest; but the myth: persistent, persuasive, and unrealistic.”
    -- John F. Kennedy

Distinguished Member Array GunGeezer's Avatar
    Let's see now. I drive up and one guy is already down and the shooter is standing there holding a gun. If I pull my gun and the cops just happen to arrive because some else called them and they see two guys with drawn guns and one man down, nothing good would probably happen. Choice A, back up as quickly as I pulled in and call the cops from a safe distance, say about 12 miles. Choice B, Put my car in park, set the parking brake, make sure my cape is on straight then leap a tall building with a single bound while heating the shooters gun red hot with my x-ray vision. Choice C, ask myself, what would George Zimmerman do?
    Spirit51 likes this.

I can find no good reason given the information in this article to expose myself to the possibility of gunfire.
    Spirit51 likes this.
    The easy way is always mined.

Quote Originally Posted by livewire9880 View Post
    I would not intervene, as I stated earlier. However according to the 'hero' and witnesses, the shooter had not fled and appeared to be preparing to finish off the victim. Does that change anything for you?

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2
    Like I said we are not cops and we have no authority to right any wrongs, this is not why we carry. So let’s say you jump out and shoot "the man with the gun". He turns out to be the good guy; guess what you are in the wrong then. You went from hero to zero in a flash.

You can yell for him to drop the gun but you have no authority to make him, Cops call it "the challenge" because it gives him the first move. remember this if you get involved and the wrong person gets hurt you could get stuck with the bill.
    Spirit51 likes this.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I can't honestly say what I would do, as I'm not in that situation and my actual reactions may be totally opposite of what I think I'd do.

However, if it were a gang shootout, I'd be inclined to take cover and hope the involved individuals have a 99% success rate!
    Spirit51 and Old School like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

The liability risks of concealed carry are enormous enough just to protect just myself and my own family. I would be very reluctant to draw in defense of someone I didn't know unless I was in very close proximity of the spot of first shots fired.

The majority of the public with clean backgrounds has the same chance to carry concealed as I do. It's not my fault if they choose not to do so.
    Spirit51 and barstoolguru like this.

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    I can't honestly say what I would do, as I'm not in that situation and my actual reactions may be totally opposite of what I think I'd do.

However, if it were a gang shootout, I'd be inclined to take cover and hope the involved individuals have a 99% success rate!
    From the description of the events in the paper, as well as my familiarity with the location tells me that this was exactly that... a gang shootout. I'd put real money on the fact that the word 'cellphone' wasn't even mentioned until the LEOs showed up. At work we were discussing this, and my opinion was that the two exchanged words and met up at Safeway to "settle up" and one decided to arm himself. Of course, this is 100% speculation, for all I know the shooter was a priest who was defending himself from the Devil himself.

Quote Originally Posted by gigamortis View Post
    The liability risks of concealed carry are enormous enough just to protect just myself and my own family. I would be very reluctant to draw in defense of someone I didn't know unless I was in very close proximity of the spot of first shots fired.

The majority of the public with clean backgrounds has the same chance to carry concealed as I do. It's not my fault if they choose not to do so.
    I hadn't thought of it that way... but that's a really good point. I might use that argument myself in the future

Of course, we know that the members of the public with not-so-clean records don't seem to mind carrying.
    Last edited by livewire; June 16th, 2012 at 12:09 AM. Reason: merge

-- John F. Kennedy

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links