Shooting at Safeway, CCW intervenes. Would you? - Page 4

Shooting at Safeway, CCW intervenes. Would you?

This is a discussion on Shooting at Safeway, CCW intervenes. Would you? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; And for the record: Link to story I can't really tell from that image what race he is. Maybe I'm not sufficiently racist....

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Results 46 to 54 of 54
Like Tree37Likes

Thread: Shooting at Safeway, CCW intervenes. Would you?

  1. #46
    VIP Member Array livewire's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    2,052
    And for the record:

    Link to story



    I can't really tell from that image what race he is. Maybe I'm not sufficiently racist.
    Attached Images
    Last edited by livewire; June 16th, 2012 at 03:09 PM. Reason: Issues with formatting
    There are four boxes to be used in the defense of liberty: soap - ballot - jury - ammo

    “The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie: deliberate, continued, and dishonest; but the myth: persistent, persuasive, and unrealistic.”
    -- John F. Kennedy


  2. #47
    Member Array .3O8junkie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    16
    I am sorry if I offended anyone with my post. I thought I made it clear that I was not calling any individual here a racist, I was just trying to point out the way these things tend to work in society. I will save that for term papers, I apologize.
    I appreciate the link, I did however read the article before I posted, it clearly states the race of the individuals involved in the first 2 paragraphs if you missed it. I just assumed that since you posted the link that you might have read the article as well. I made the mistake of relating your comments about gang activity in the area with the reports of the people involved being of hispanic descent, again my bad. I completely forgot that the way you dress, where you live, the way you shake hands, and the types of tattoos you have make you a gang member.
    And for the record, I never called anyone a racist.

  3. #48
    Ex Member Array oldrwizr's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Durham, N.C.
    Posts
    413
    I wouldn't get involved unless I was 100% sure of what was going down. For instance, what if a gunman came into Safeway and starting randomly shooting people. A CCW guy shoots him, and he goes down wounded but not dead, moaning in agony. You, another legal CC guy, come upon the situation. You see Elmer Fudd pointing his gun at and standing over some scrawny little punk who's moaning and groaning. How do you know Elmer wasn't the instigator and this wounded guy was just an innocent shopper? I'd be likely to take my LO's (if accompanied) and quietly exit the store. I prefer anonymity to animosity. And my lawyer can just KMA. I'm not making his yacht payments for a year.

  4. #49
    VIP Member Array TedBeau's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Bay City
    Posts
    2,292
    All I can say is "Wow"! The guy walks up to a guy that has just shot an unarmed man, has a nice conversation about permits, then turns his back on the shooter while he scampers away! Did the guy put his gun back in his waiste band while he showed his permit? Did they also compare cell phone models to determine if the guy's model was worth getting shot over? Was the injured guy laying at their feet putting in any constructive input into the conversation? At the bottom of the article they asked for anyone with information to contact police, didn't the victum ID the shooter, or is in not worth his trouble?

    So many unanswered questions.

  5. #50
    VIP Member Array livewire's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    2,052
    Quote Originally Posted by oldrwizr View Post
    I wouldn't get involved unless I was 100% sure of what was going down. For instance, what if a gunman came into Safeway and starting randomly shooting people. A CCW guy shoots him, and he goes down wounded but not dead, moaning in agony. You, another legal CC guy, come upon the situation. You see Elmer Fudd pointing his gun at and standing over some scrawny little punk who's moaning and groaning. How do you know Elmer wasn't the instigator and this wounded guy was just an innocent shopper? I'd be likely to take my LO's (if accompanied) and quietly exit the store. I prefer anonymity to animosity. And my lawyer can just KMA. I'm not making his yacht payments for a year.
    Here's a great example of why we say we won't intervene:

    Suspect in Safeway shooting to be released | Yakima Herald-Republic

    Funny that everyone around town assumed that the shooter was a bad guy and the "good Samaritan" was a hero. Now it looks like there might be a legitimate self-defense claim, and our plucky hero interfered in a situation that might have been resolved without him clearing leather. Of course, we still don't know everything...
    There are four boxes to be used in the defense of liberty: soap - ballot - jury - ammo

    “The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie: deliberate, continued, and dishonest; but the myth: persistent, persuasive, and unrealistic.”
    -- John F. Kennedy

  6. #51
    VIP Member Array livewire's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    2,052
    Quote Originally Posted by .3O8junkie View Post
    I am sorry if I offended anyone with my post. I thought I made it clear that I was not calling any individual here a racist, I was just trying to point out the way these things tend to work in society. I will save that for term papers, I apologize.
    I appreciate the link, I did however read the article before I posted, it clearly states the race of the individuals involved in the first 2 paragraphs if you missed it. I just assumed that since you posted the link that you might have read the article as well. I made the mistake of relating your comments about gang activity in the area with the reports of the people involved being of hispanic descent, again my bad. I completely forgot that the way you dress, where you live, the way you shake hands, and the types of tattoos you have make you a gang member.
    And for the record, I never called anyone a racist.
    You may not have called anyone a racist by name, but your message clearly suggested that's how you thought. I'll not get into a linguistic debate here, but to answer the question... no, I didn't read the article, I just looked at the picture and determined that I didn't know the guy (so no need to call in) and that I couldn't tell what ethnicity he was by the image alone. After I posted the link (the next day, actually) I read the article and saw the "Hispanic male" part, but I figured the thread had died and responding would be beating a dead horse.
    There are four boxes to be used in the defense of liberty: soap - ballot - jury - ammo

    “The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie: deliberate, continued, and dishonest; but the myth: persistent, persuasive, and unrealistic.”
    -- John F. Kennedy

  7. #52
    VIP Member Array ccw9mm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    27,327
    Quote Originally Posted by livewire9880 View Post
    Here's a great example of why we say we won't intervene:

    Suspect in Safeway shooting to be released | Yakima Herald-Republic

    Funny that everyone around town assumed that the shooter was a bad guy and the "good Samaritan" was a hero. Now it looks like there might be a legitimate self-defense claim, and our plucky hero interfered in a situation that might have been resolved without him clearing leather. Of course, we still don't know everything...
    If a person were police, then intervening at the tail end of something in order to restore order is one thing.

    But if a person is not, then intervening without knowing the nature of the encounter and the status of the participants could result in a very bad day for many. Arriving "late," one doesn't know who the players are, what the nature of the altercation was, whether there was any justification for the actions taken by the participants, whether any of the bystanders would be able to corroborate any of the claims, even whether there were any additional participants who had fled.

    As suggested, we still don't know what happened. From news reports, we only have a few details and the claims of the one who turned himself in. It could be the person shot had arrived with two associates, and the combined "force" of those three meant the demands for more than the agreed-upon reward price amounted to a thinly-veiled extortion attempt. It could be something was said between either party that changes the complexion of everything. It could be that nearby witnesses (such as the other two people in the shooter's car) were close enough to have seen and heard everything from the start. It could be that bystanders can corroborate portions of what occurred. There might be a parking lot video that recorded the actions of all players. It could be the claimed justification of the shooter was really founded simply on bare fear alone, and not on any words or actions by the other player(s). Who's to say, from our vantage point here. It'll be interesting to see how it plays out.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

  8. #53
    Senior Member Array Happypuppy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Small Town USA
    Posts
    896
    Quote Originally Posted by livewire9880 View Post
    Here's a great example of why we say we won't intervene:

    Suspect in Safeway shooting to be released | Yakima Herald-Republic

    Funny that everyone around town assumed that the shooter was a bad guy and the "good Samaritan" was a hero. Now it looks like there might be a legitimate self-defense claim, and our plucky hero interfered in a situation that might have been resolved without him clearing leather. Of course, we still don't know everything...
    +1 I hope everyone reads the article. Sometimes things gets a bit blurred and by intervention you could make it a lot worse.


    Sent from my 300 baud modem

  9. #54
    Senior Member Array Chad Rogers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Metro DC
    Posts
    958
    If the two men looked like thugs I would not have done a thing.

    Post-Zimmerman there are very few people I would risk my freedom for. And certainly not two folks who look like thugs.
    "People who take an Internet handle of a great warrior, are usually the first to go fetal when crunch time comes." - Me

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Search tags for this page

ccw after shoot say

,

ccw glock 34

,
ccw shoot or don't shoot scenarios
,

ccw shootings

,
concealed carry in safeway stores
,
gang member shot by ccw
,

glock 34 actual shootings

,

glock 34 ccw

,

man with ccw shoots shooter

,
safeway ccw
,

safeway concealed carry

,

shooting at a safeway in texas early this morning

Click on a term to search for related topics.