Shooting at Safeway, CCW intervenes. Would you?

This is a discussion on Shooting at Safeway, CCW intervenes. Would you? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Shopper intervenes in Safeway shooting | Yakima Herald-Republic I was just at this store the other day with my SO. It's really rough, and we ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree37Likes

Thread: Shooting at Safeway, CCW intervenes. Would you?

Shopper intervenes in Safeway shooting | Yakima Herald-Republic

I was just at this store the other day with my SO. It's really rough, and we were wondering if a gang shooting might break out at any time when we were there. What's notable about this is the fact that it's in the early evening/late afternoon.

My response to the very question from my mother:

Mom: Yikes! That could have been you saving the guy's life!
    Me: meh... I dunno about that
    Me: sounds like a gang thing to me, I would have probably just gotten out or found cover and maybe snapped a cellphone picture of the shooter unless I thought I was in direct danger myself
    Me: but the second I thought [girlfriend] or I were in danger, I would have wabbit hunted

So, what do you think. Would you have intervened in this case?
    Last edited by Rock and Glock; June 16th, 2012 at 08:14 AM.
    There are four boxes to be used in the defense of liberty: soap - ballot - jury - ammo

“The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie: deliberate, continued, and dishonest; but the myth: persistent, persuasive, and unrealistic.”
    -- John F. Kennedy

Ummm... pretty sure I wouldn't be saying that to my Mom. She carries and might find this to be a justifiable use of force situation... if she could outdraw my Dad.
    Last edited by Rock and Glock; June 16th, 2012 at 08:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by NH_Esau View Post
    Ummm... pretty sure I wouldn't be saying that to my Mom. She carries and might find this to be a justifiable use of force situation... if she could outdraw my Dad.
    <snicker> She learned not to look up acronyms I use in conversation a while ago. But I generally don't, it kinda slipped out and I hit 'send' before I realized it.
    Last edited by Rock and Glock; June 16th, 2012 at 08:15 AM.
    There are four boxes to be used in the defense of liberty: soap - ballot - jury - ammo

“The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie: deliberate, continued, and dishonest; but the myth: persistent, persuasive, and unrealistic.”
    -- John F. Kennedy

I would have called 911 and been a good witness. Not knowing the entire situation and it not being my loved ones or me....I do not believe I would have gotten evolved to the point this guy did. I will not be made to feel responsible for the victim's life either...so don't try. If he had been killed while I was calling 911....that's life and it would suck to be him. I am not LEO and I don't wear a cape. I am not a "sheepdog" or canine of any type (to call me one usually gets a ). I am not going to say anything bad about this man who did intervene, except glad he didn't have to shoot and he shouldn't have turned his attention away from the shooter for even a second. Other than that....it was his choice on what he did. Glad it worked out for him and the victim.
    A woman must not depend on protection by men. A woman must learn to protect herself.
    Susan B. Anthony
    A armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one has to back it up with his life.
    Robert Heinlein

I understand lives may have been on the line, but I'd sure hate to find out I risked getting shot (or did get shot) over an argument about a cell phone.
    Spirit51 and Spade115 like this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Well thats just great. A guy using having a permit as a defense for shooting someone out of anger. The anti's should have a field day with this one.

Quote Originally Posted by jon_volk View Post
    Well thats just great. A guy using having a permit as a defense for shooting someone out of anger. The anti's should have a field day with this one.
    I'm not so sure that the permit was legitimate... the article doesn't suggest that the 'hero' got a look at it, and the shooter ran off. in WA, our permits are just a piece of paper issued by the local PD, so it could have been anything that he was waving around.

-- John F. Kennedy

Quote Originally Posted by From the article ...
    YAKIMA, Wash. -- The wounded man was down, screaming for help, and the man with the gun looked like he might not be done shooting.

That’s when Andrew Schilperoort, who had just pulled into the parking lot ...
    AFTER having arrived, he saw someone standing with a firearm, someone down and screaming for help, then he drew and commanded compliance. Unclear what additional info he inferred from the situation, upon his initial arrival. But from our vantage point, here, IMO it was ONLY after having the responses from the apparent shooter could he have been fairly certain something was insupportable about the shooter's role in all of it. In this sort of situation, I'd say it would be a cold day in Hades for me to have intervened at the point this guy did. I'd almost certainly seek cover and get on the horn to 911/police to report what I was seeing, prepared to defend against clear threat going beyond the initial situation.

For example, imagine this situation was like the other recent What If scenario, in which the guy in control in the situation turned out to be a plain-clothes officer. Before knowing the score (in this case, having gotten the replies that didn't fit), it would be an ugly time to be drawing down on such a person.

OTOH, in a situation blowing up right near me in which I see/hear everything from the start (ie, a clear armed robbery in progress with an unlawful aggressor clearly identified), if I believe I can make a difference then I might well intervene.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by livewire9880 View Post
    I'm not so sure that the permit was legitimate... the article doesn't suggest that the 'hero' got a look at it, and the shooter ran off. in WA, our permits are just a piece of paper issued by the local PD, so it could have been anything that he was waving around.
    That occurs to me as well...but looking at the story from the way it was reported, however, is plenty of ammo for someone with a lesser cognitive ability.

Distinguished Member Array ericb327's Avatar
    Useless to reply to this. Too many what ifs and armchair quarter backs.
    For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill. (Sun Tzu) The Art of War

https://www.facebook.com/ninja312

My food and product review blog
    http://trualitybarandgrille.wordpress.com/

If it was a gang member shooting a gang member? Maybe I'd have shot him after he finished with the other guy, that way we killed two birds with one stone, so to speak.

If I pulled up at a store and saw a defenseless man getting shot, I have no clue what I'd do. That's a decision you make on the spot. Luckily when I've needed to defend myself, it was always me they were after!

I'd like to think I'd do the right thing, given what I witnessed. The parties involved would be a big part of decision, sorry to say.
    sgb likes this.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

Senior Member Array Stirling XD's Avatar
    I give the guy credit for risking his life, freedom and fortune to protect another human being that may or may not be an innocent victim. And I'm glad he was able to deescalate the situation without firing a shot. But I can't say that I would do the same and I sure don't recommend anyone else doing the same thing. Unless you saw the entire scene play out in front of you, there just too many variables. Even then it might not be worth the risk.
    Spirit51 likes this.

VIP Member
    Even though Yakima’s violent crime rate is barely a third of what it was 20 years ago, the shooting in such a busy place came as a shock to Schilperoort and other witnesses.
    Wow... "Journalists."

It makes no sense to say "even though the crime rate is much lower, it still came as a shock." If the crime rate is HIGH, then it would "STILL" be a shock due to the extreme/unusual nature of the crime. If the crime rate is LOW, then it would simply be a shock, not "still" a shock. Sigh....
    CIBMike likes this.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

sgb
    Quote Originally Posted by jonconsiglio View Post
    If it was a gang member shooting a gang member? Maybe I'd have shot him after he finished with the other guy, that way we killed two birds with one stone, so to speak.

If I pulled up at a store and saw a defenseless man getting shot, I have no clue what I'd do. That's a decision you make on the spot. Luckily when I've needed to defend myself, it was always me they were after!

I'd like to think I'd do the right thing, given what I witnessed. The parties involved would be a big part of decision, sorry to say.
    Couldn't say it better.
    garyacman likes this.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

Quote Originally Posted by OPFOR View Post
    Wow... "Journalists."

It makes no sense to say "even though the crime rate is much lower, it still came as a shock." If the crime rate is HIGH, then it would "STILL" be a shock due to the extreme/unusual nature of the crime. If the crime rate is LOW, then it would simply be a shock, not "still" a shock. Sigh....
    Yeah... but Yakima (9th largest city in the state) has the 4th highest crime rate in the state. When I initially read the article, I read it as "even though the crime rate is much lower, it still didn't come as a shock" the first time... mostly because I wasn't shocked to read about it in the paper this morning.

-- John F. Kennedy

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links