May have been "interviewed" tonight??

This is a discussion on May have been "interviewed" tonight?? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Passing a really stinky gasser would have kept him further back. He wouldn't have rolled right up on you if you had a ten foot ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: May have been "interviewed" tonight??

VIP Member
    Passing a really stinky gasser would have kept him further back. He wouldn't have rolled right up on you if you had a ten foot toxic stink bubble around you.
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

2. Remove Ads

Maybe he wanted to bum a free cigarette?

1) Get a ride.

2) If you can't get a ride, then call someone on your cell phone and stop while you talk turning sideways facing the road letting them pass. Back up a bit to give them plenty of room. This gives you a wide field of view. Hold cell phone in weak hand with strong hand at CCW. Be ready to drop the phone if need be. Let him get way in front of you before proceeding keeping your eyes on him. I don't like people being behind me much of anywhere.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    Passing a really stinky gasser would have kept him further back. He wouldn't have rolled right up on you if you had a ten foot toxic stink bubble around you.
    Flatulence as a CCW / OC spray deterant. Who would have ever thunk it.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Surf 'n turf..... nope, good job. Very good on your SA as well.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Distinguished Member Array bigmacque's Avatar
    You did better than I probably would have.

I pocket carry a lot, and in situations like this I find myself slipping my hand into my pocket just to reassure and prepare myself, but unfortunately that's not really the best response. Still working on corrcting that behavior.
    I'm in favor of gun control -- I think every citizen should have control of a gun.
    1 Thess. 5:16-18

Quote Originally Posted by 97tbird View Post
    I gave him wide berth when he was getting closer and when he was about two or three feet behind me ...

What should I have done differently?
    2-3ft is awfully close, for someone walking up behind you where you're feeling like you need to "really pay attention." Changing direction; stopping, turning and allowing the person to pass by while you keep him in sight. There aren't many good options when just walking along. But IMO the last thing you want to allow is an unknown in such a situation to come to within 2ft of you.
    joker1 likes this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    Who would have ever STunk it.
    I fixed it for ya.
    BugDude likes this.
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

Senior Member Array Chad Rogers's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ericb327 View Post
    Maybe changed direction or cross the street. You want guys like that in front of you rather than behind. Somewhat like drunk drivers.
    Why would I want a drunk driver in front of me where if he causes a crash I then get to move into the direction of it, whereas if he is behind me and causes a crash it won't affect me at all?
    "People who take an Internet handle of a great warrior, are usually the first to go fetal when crunch time comes." - Me

Distinguished Member Array ericb327's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Chad Rogers View Post
    Why would I want a drunk driver in front of me where if he causes a crash I then get to move into the direction of it, whereas if he is behind me and causes a crash it won't affect me at all?
    If the drunk is in front of you, you could keep your eyes on him and react accordingly. If he's behind you and you have to stop or get caught in traffic, you have rely on him to react and use his impaired judgement.
    Last edited by ericb327; June 28th, 2012 at 05:20 PM.
    joker1 likes this.
    For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill. (Sun Tzu) The Art of War

https://www.facebook.com/ninja312

My food and product review blog
    http://trualitybarandgrille.wordpress.com/

When I feel someone is following in a parking lot, I cut between cars to the next drive, if he follows I go back to the drive I started on. I have only had one guy start to follow the second cut, I stopped and turned to face him with him between cars and me at the end, didn't say anything, just stood there and locked eyes. He backed out and returned to the parking lot.

I went to customer service, told them what happened and called the PD and requested a patrol unit come by; can't say for sure what happened, didn't see him when I left.
    atctimmy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Chad Rogers View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ericb327 View Post
    I the drunk is in front of you, you could keep your eyes on him and react accordingly. If he's behind you and you have to stop or get caught in traffic, you have rely on him to react and use his impaired judgement.
    Of course, passing them (or someone you think is driving drunk) may get you into an accident if they are turning left... and you could spend 2 years recovering from that accident... I'll keep them in front of me, thanks.
    ericb327 likes this.
    It could be worse.
    "The History of our Revolution will be one continued Lye from one end to the other."
    John Adams
    "A gun is kind of like a parachute. If you need one and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again".

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 97tbird View Post
    So I was walking down the the grocery store to pick up a couple of things for dinner at around 7:15 tonight so it was still rather light outside.
    What should I have done differently?

^^^^^Should have Drove your car.........^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Of course, not being there I have to go by your description as written. I think you may be over-thinking and looking for threats where there are none. Body posture and facial expressions mean a lot more than proximity when assessing a threat.

It's important to be aware but paranoia can severely hamper your quality of life. What good is surviving if you're constantly looking at everyone who walks faster than you and wants to bum a smoke as a threat. I recommend you read "The Gift of Fear" (and ignore the author's distaste for firearms). It can really help you put your mind at ease and help you tell the difference between a real threat and wild imaginings.
    Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the face.
    - Mike Tyson

I am sorry, folks but perhaps because of the memory of experiences where I grew up, anybody coming up to me under the pretext of wanting to bum a smoke (I don't smoke either), or ask the time (why didn't those guys ever wear a watch?) or anything of the sort will put me on my guard.
    Dan,

CZ82 nut

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links