Bit of a scare at the AT&T store

This is a discussion on Bit of a scare at the AT&T store within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by mano3 I was at the AT&T store upgrading my old iPhones and having a nice conversation with the young lady assisting me. ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: Bit of a scare at the AT&T store

Quote Originally Posted by mano3 View Post
    I was at the AT&T store upgrading my old iPhones and having a nice conversation with the young lady assisting me. All of a sudden, she stopped talking. I looked up and she was looking past me and her eyes were big as dinner plates and her mouth was open - like she'd seen a ghost.

My first thought is, "Oh crap, someone just walked in to rob the place and they're coming up right behind me!"

I quickly turned and my hand went to my gun (didn't expose/draw yet) and there approaching us is an older gentleman with a big smile on his face. Seems that he's a frequent customer and friend to the gal helping me. She was 'being funny' for him...

Why am I posting this? Well, it proves to me that my whole outlook on people and places has changed since I've started carrying. I mean that in a good way. Granted, I mistook her expression as one of fear, but at least I was aware of it and was ready to react if need be. Two years ago I'd of missed the cue or just stood there staring...
    Just playing around here. You get excited from an unkown expression on a lady's face. The assumption you make is the place is being robbed. You start going for your gun not knowing the circumstances. Now, if the place is getting robbed you most likely would just lose some money or the store some phones and sim cards. Good chance if the BG's saw you they might guess you were armed and now you could be in a world of hurt.

Also, what if the person walking in was a CC'er and saw the look on the girls face and thought the same thing "darn, place is getting robbed" Now he sees you reaching for something. See how it could turn around real quick by someone else trying to guess what is going on. Would not be the first time two good guys thought each was a BG.

Sorry to make it sound so different than everyone else patting you on the back for your SA. But sometimes someone has to point out the flaws in ones actions during an After Action Report.

Don't confuse this with saying what you did was wrong. You were there. I am just pointing out from a devils advocate point of view how terribly wrong it could have gone.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    Just playing around here. You get excited from an unkown expression on a lady's face. The assumption you make is the place is being robbed. You start going for your gun not knowing the circumstances. Now, if the place is getting robbed you most likely would just lose some money or the store some phones and sim cards. Good chance if the BG's saw you they might guess you were armed and now you could be in a world of hurt.

Also, what if the person walking in was a CC'er and saw the look on the girls face and thought the same thing "darn, place is getting robbed" Now he sees you reaching for something. See how it could turn around real quick by someone else trying to guess what is going on. Would not be the first time two good guys thought each was a BG.

Sorry to make it sound so different than everyone else patting you on the back for your SA. But sometimes someone has to point out the flaws in ones actions during an After Action Report.

Don't confuse this with saying what you did was wrong. You were there. I am just pointing out from a devils advocate point of view how terribly wrong it could have gone.
    Her face really did look like she saw a ghost, which looking back, was very odd for her to do.

I understand your point, which is why I turned and put my hand down to the gun (not revealing it) so I could figure out what was going on and be ready if needed.

I just glad it was for nothing and that I didn't 'show my hand'.
    US Air Force, 1986 - 2007

"To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them..." George Mason

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links