Verbal skills

This is a discussion on Verbal skills within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by lordofwyr Personally, I love Wal-Mart. I can remember the days in the 60's and 70's where you had to go to ten ...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree56Likes

Thread: Verbal skills

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    Quote Originally Posted by lordofwyr View Post
    Personally, I love Wal-Mart. I can remember the days in the 60's and 70's where you had to go to ten different stores to get the stuff you needed. Now it is all in one place, which is a God send. Think about it, if you had to drive to the grocery store for groceries, then to the pharmacy, then to the gas station, then to the shoe store, then to the sewing store....ad infinitum.....

As to lazy...well, I would address that comment...but I am lazy and tired of typi.........
    Walmart was fine 15years ago. It was even better 20+ years ago. These days... I would really rather spend the time driving between different stores than spend any of my money at Wal-Mart.
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

2. Remove Ads

SAys it all for some, I guess..... obi wan.jpg
    GeorgiaDawg and oldnfat like this.
    Fortune Favors the Bold!

P95
    I have done the same thing at times......call me lazy.....at times. I would have said something back to the redneck.

My opinion? You did the wrong thing by going to Walmart as I can not stand them and haven't bought anything from them in over 10 years. As far as how you handled it, I agree you probably should have put the buggy, that's what they're commonly called in the these parts, in the corral. However, the response you got was unwarranted. I think just leaving is the best option. I try to think to myself, in the situation when someone blasts me, about what a terrible day they must be having or how immature they are. That usually makes me pity them which makes it simple to just walk away.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    ...Adam

"If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart, and if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no head." --Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by mlr1m View Post
    How would you feel if the people who pick up your trash were to leave your container in random locations up and down your street instead of in the proper place? How bout if your mail carrier just left your mail at the first house on your block so you could walk down in the rain,snow or heat to pick it up?
    Just saying.

Michael
    Not even close to being the same thing. The people you write of are paid to do the job. As a customer I'm the one doing the paying, and placing the carts into the corrals is a courtesy not a requirement of my employment. I take the cart to a corral except when it's really hot and I don't feel so good.
    As to the "Shopping Cart Nazi" who shouted a rude comment, I can only say you can either ignore him (which the OP did) or shoot him which someone will probably have to do sooner or later. I personally give it a toss up as to the mood I happen to be in when reading about it.

hmmm ....

what if:

everyone disposed of trash properly instead of littering?

drove responsibly?

never committed a crime?

squeezed the toothpaste the same way?

WELL, there would be no reason for Walgreens, because we would have a perfect world ???

sent from my sending device

Quote Originally Posted by Luis50 View Post
    I get it. I just think his response was too much.

My post was more about looking for more civil ways to deal with these types of verbal rants from strangers without escalating. Sure, avoidance is always best but what if that isn't possible at the time? I think some people are gifted debaters/arguers and can get their way just by using the right words and tone.

If that is a learned skill, I want it.
    Okay we will forget for the moment that I disagree with your actions that provoked the comments from the other person.
    Before I started carrying a firearm I felt free to enter into strangers who made comments that I did not like. Now that I carry I go out of my way to ignore verbal abuse from others. Not worth someone dying over.

Michael

Ignore idiots...keep your quiet cool...park your cart properly...have a great day.

Special Note: I have a bad hip...to be replaced in less than a month, and I still walk(limp) my cart to a coral or back to the store. I hate to see the wind blow a cart into someone's car or block an empty parking space...but that's just me.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Ignore idiots...keep your quiet cool...park your cart properly...have a great day.
    That's just good advice in every situation right there.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Luis50 View Post
    I get it. I just think his response was too much.

My post was more about looking for more civil ways to deal with these types of verbal rants from strangers without escalating. Sure, avoidance is always best but what if that isn't possible at the time? I think some people are gifted debaters/arguers and can get their way just by using the right words and tone.

If that is a learned skill, I want it.
    There are debates and there are confrontations. The two are not the same. The gentlemen in the parking lot was not interested in a debate, and you will likely not succeed in verbally de-escalating if you choose to engage in a confrontation.

As for verbal skills.... I know people that always have a quick comeback when debating or conversing - you know them. Always quick on their feet. Part of that skill is learned, but most of it is a gift. We all have our talents, and try as you might, sometimes you just can't buy a $20 tongue.

Distinguished Member Array Chaplain Scott's Avatar
    Luis50: You asked about verbal skills. There is a Proverb which says: "A soft answer turns away wrath."

You know, when somebody says something to me, even when it "stings", but its the truth, do I puff up my chest and act like a tough guy? Or do I "man up" and own my own deeds? Which response is really more befiting a MAN?

EXAMPLE: "Hey, there's a cart corrall over there, you lazy a$$!"

Response option 1: "Don't you call me a lazy a$$, just come over here and I'll thump your lazy a$$!!" (or variation on that theme).

Response option 2: "Sir, thank you for pointing that out to me, I really should have walked it back to the corral."

response option 3: "Sir, thank you for pointing that out to me, I normally would have put it back, but my hip is bad and it hurts too much to walk it back" [if its true of course]
    Pistology likes this.
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
    - Ronald Reagan

Just turn and burn. No response = best response. This will keep me reading first hand accounts of the 'what if' sort rather than second hand accounts from the media of the 'concealed carry permit holder involved in altercation...'

Distinguished Member Array mr.stuart's Avatar
    You did the right thing,ignore it. Stores place cart corrals in stupid places and there are not nearly enough of them.I make sure the cart will not roll away if a cart corral is far away,which it usually is. I park far away from stores to protect my vehicles from inconsiderate door bashers and people that are too fat to exit their car without banging my doors. Sounds like we might have a few 'cart nazi's' on the forum judging from the comments.
    Pain is the best teacher,but nobody wants to go to his class.

When the past smothers the present, there is only desperation. When the future absorbs the present, life stands still. In either case a decision must be made because you only live now and you are only what you are now.

Quote Originally Posted by mr.stuart View Post
    Sounds like we might have a few 'cart nazi's' on the forum judging from the comments.
    Nazis? That is a bit harsh. Nobody is telling the OP what he is or is not allowed to do, as the nazis did. They are mearly stating their opinion.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    msgt/ret likes this.
    ...Adam

"If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart, and if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no head." --Winston Churchill

Response option 2: "Sir, thank you for pointing that out to me, I really should have walked it back to the corral."

response option 3: "Sir, thank you for pointing that out to me, I normally would have put it back, but my hip is bad and it hurts too much to walk it back" [if its true of course]
    Those are the winners IMHO!
    RETSUPT99 likes this.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links