Verbal skills

This is a discussion on Verbal skills within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; exceedingly odd thread...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree56Likes

Thread: Verbal skills

exceedingly odd thread

2. Remove Ads

1) You didn't put the cart back like you should.
    2) You got called out for it.
    3) You got your feelings hurt, but didn't respond, since you knew you were in the wrong. ...Or you didn't feel like arguing at the time.
    4) Post about it on DC.
    5) Profit?????
    Bubbiesdad likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Lotus222 View Post
    5) Profit?????
    A learning opportunity and chance for reflection.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    A learning opportunity and chance for reflection.
    Agreed. Some people just need a place to vent bro. Looks for advice/ approval from others. Accepted on my end! :beer:

Sent from my DROID RAZR

Well, some interesting responses. I guess I should've put the cart back!

I still don't see the need for a person to use loud, foul language in public when addressing another person. Oh well, life goes on. I've prayed for myself and that man. Peace
    GeorgiaDawg and danwdooley like this.
    Luis

"Everybody's got a plan, 'til they get hit".

Mike Tyson

Senior Member Array GeorgiaDawg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Luis50 View Post
    Well, some interesting responses. I guess I should've put the cart back!

I still don't see the need for a person to use loud, foul language in public when addressing another person. Oh well, life goes on. I've prayed for myself and that man. Peace
    You are correct. There is no need for the way you were addressed. Hopefully that guy will learn some manners before he verbally assaults someone who has less patience than yourself.
    Hopyard likes this.
    "For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast." - Ephesians 2:8-9

“The purpose of the law is not to prevent a future offense, but to punish the one actually committed” - Ayn Rand

Glad you ignored him but I am not a fan in leaving carts in random spots either. I actually had a lady push her cart behind mine when I was about 30 feet away walking towards it. So when I got to the cart I placed it behind her vehicle as she was trying to back out. Probably not the right thing to do but hopefully she learned a lesson.

Look into "Verbal Judo"....
    Ian Abernethy did a podcast a bit ago about verbal deescaltion....worth a listen.
    http://www.iainabernethy.co.uk/audio-list

Sent from this... Using that...
    Luis50 likes this.

Distinguished Member Array Arborigine's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Crowman View Post
    Just wondering why a motorcycle should rate special parking places........
    On a hot day a motorcycle's kickstand will sink into asphalt, at the very least damaging the pavement, and at worst, damaging expensive bike parts and perhaps squashing a child. In hot weather a smart motorcyclist will seek out a concrete pad, or dry dirt, rather than asphalt. That is why you may see bikes parked in the sidewalk zones. If they don't make concrete bike spots, I will park in an appropriately safe place, perhaps alongside the building. You can carry a small steel plate as a stand pad, but most people don't think about it until they find their pride and joy laying on it's side surrounded by bits of shattered plastic and chrome.
    As to the cart issue; by leaving the carts wherever you wish, you are providing the reason for employment of those nice fellows with orange vests at WalMart. If a cart-nazi doesn't get it, don't bother to point out his limited view of the big picture. Handicapped people need jobs too, and WallyWorld provides a few of them at every store.
    I don't always have nothing to say, but when I do, I post it on Facebook.

Personally, I generally go to the store by myself. I look for a parking spot near a cart corral, or near an island where I can park with drivers side on the island/corral side and I can pull straight out. This prevents some nimrod from parking too close to me as to prevent me from opening my car door. Also makes it easier to return the cart/buggy.
    Rock and Glock and msgt/ret like this.
    Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
    Richard M Nixon
    Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician.”
    Jeff Cooper

Quote Originally Posted by Bubbiesdad View Post
    Personally, I generally go to the store by myself. I look for a parking spot near a cart corral, or near an island where I can park with drivers side on the island/corral side and I can pull straight out. This prevents some nimrod from parking too close to me as to prevent me from opening my car door. Also makes it easier to return the cart/buggy.
    Not to shabby of an idea there partner. Learned something new today......check!

Sent from my DROID RAZR

Luis50: Not to worry. You did right. I always think of those clever retorts two hours later. That's probably why I haven't gotten my rear-end whooped more often.
    Richard

NRA Life Member

"But if they don't exist, how can a man see them?"

"You may think I'm pompous, but actually I'm pedantic... let me explain the difference."

"Carry the battle to them. Don't let them bring it to you. Put them on the defensive and don't ever apologize for anything."

Quote Originally Posted by Arborigine View Post
    On a hot day a motorcycle's kickstand will sink into asphalt, at the very least damaging the pavement, and at worst, damaging expensive bike parts and perhaps squashing a child. In hot weather a smart motorcyclist will seek out a concrete pad, or dry dirt, rather than asphalt. That is why you may see bikes parked in the sidewalk zones. If they don't make concrete bike spots, I will park in an appropriately safe place, perhaps alongside the building. You can carry a small steel plate as a stand pad, but most people don't think about it until they find their pride and joy laying on it's side surrounded by bits of shattered plastic and chrome.
    As to the cart issue; by leaving the carts wherever you wish, you are providing the reason for employment of those nice fellows with orange vests at WalMart. If a cart-nazi doesn't get it, don't bother to point out his limited view of the big picture. Handicapped people need jobs too, and WallyWorld provides a few of them at every store.
    Those people have a job bringing in the carts whether they are in the racks or scattered all over the lot. I'm sure that they appreciate it when people leave them just anywhere they feel like. Oh, and for the handicapped that work there. I'm sure they get a chuckle out of limping an extra fifty yards to retrieve one cart. Then another twenty five to the next single cart.
    Sometimes I think people do this just so they can feel superior to another person because they have the power to make that persons job more difficult.

Michael

I've never been very good at communication. Lately I've been reading a book at work called Crucial Conversations. It's pretty good, I've been using a little of it to communicate with some people I used to find very difficult. It only costs like $10, you could probably find it at the library. It might be worth a read.

Amazon.com: Crucial Conversations Tools for Talking When Stakes Are High, Second Edition (9780071771320): Kerry Patterson, Joseph Grenny, Ron McMillan, Al Switzler: Books

There's another one he writes, called Crucial Confrontations. I'm going to try that one next.

As far as the carts, on my way into the store, I usually ask someone (attractive women ) that has finished unloading if I can take their cart, instead of them having to return it to the cart returns. But to me it's not that big of a deal if someone leaves the cart on the curb.
    Luis50 likes this.

I would have told the man I just had surgery and would he take it over for me. That would make the man feel good helping someone or small.
    Semper Fi
    "Marines don't surrender-they win or die." from Brute

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links