Verbal skills

Verbal skills

This is a discussion on Verbal skills within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I wish I had them. In the the Walmart parking lot yesterday, instead of walking an extra 25 yards to a cart coral, I left ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree56Likes

Thread: Verbal skills

Verbal skills

I wish I had them. In the the Walmart parking lot yesterday, instead of walking an extra 25 yards to a cart coral, I left the cart on one of those landscaped islands you find in many parking lots...not in traffic or a parking space or asphalt to be blown by the wind into someones vehicle. A grassy island for an employee to gather later.

As i'm walking back to my car a guy about 50 feet away yells "there's a cart coral right there, lazy a$$ people" as he's walking away from me. I ignored him and continued to my car, got in, took a deep breath, thanked Jesus and drove home. Was I wrong in leaving the cart where I did? Maybe. Should he have addressed me as he did? IMO, no.

I'm a very non confrontational, easy going guy so walking away is easy however, let's say he was yelling this as he walked towards me? I asked myself this because practicing verbal skills to de-escalate situations isn't something I do.

I admire people that can have a heated debate without getting worked up and still get their point across. I need to practice those skills. How to deal with difficult people and such.

Don't get me wrong, I did the right thing by ignoring him. This being my first adverse experience since I started carrying, I learned that carrying weapons and taking formal training didn't turn me into someone that i'm not.

I'm rambling but thanks for listening.
    Luis

"Everybody's got a plan, 'til they get hit".

Mike Tyson

Did exactly the same thing and had the same response from a woman. I just decided to ignore it too.

Uhm, the cart returns are for the courtesy and convenience of the store employees speeding up their gathering of carts, and I do appreciate it. However, they seem to be randomly placed and make no sense in some cases. As soon as Walmart and other stores star placing motorcycle spaces up front, I will worry about that more, because I was a cart pusher at Target in Houston in the 70's, and we had no cart return slots,

Oh, and I got a great laugh the other day when in the slot reserved for "Green Vehicles" there was a green Hummer 2 parked there. Now THAT took some brass ones !
    Fortune Favors the Bold!

Senior Member Array GeorgiaDawg's Avatar
    Glad you ignored the comment. Not a fan, though, of leaving the carts in random places due to laziness
    Brad426, Badey, joker1 and 6 others like this.
    "For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast." - Ephesians 2:8-9

“The purpose of the law is not to prevent a future offense, but to punish the one actually committed” - Ayn Rand

Sometimes people have a need to police others. You did the right thing by ignoring him and going on with you life.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

Don't sweat it. I'd rather have your attitude than his. You did the right thing by just keeping on. One of these days Mr. Cart Police is going to get his lip popped by someone like him. Good job by not letting that be you.
    Guest1 and ccwguy like this.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

I would have told him to shove it up his cart corral, and move it himself.

Actually, you did good. I usually use the corrals myself, just for the exercise.

The tyrant dies and his rule is over, the martyr dies and his rule begins. ― The Journals of Kierkegaard

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgiaDawg View Post
    Glad you ignored the comment. Not a fan, though, of leaving the carts in random places due to laziness
    +1. The corrals are there so the carts aren't in the way of cars or roll into the side of your car.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

How would you feel if the people who pick up your trash were to leave your container in random locations up and down your street instead of in the proper place? How bout if your mail carrier just left your mail at the first house on your block so you could walk down in the rain,snow or heat to pick it up?
    Just saying.

Michael
    vca2004 likes this.

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    "Your mother" is always an acceptable response.

Glad you managed to ignore the guy. But, as said before- why not just put the cart where it belongs? It won't hurt anyone to walk a little further and put it in the corral. It just takes a little more time. Unless you're (1) having a baby (and it's about to fall on the pavement), (2) disabled, (3) bleeding out from your femoral artery, there's not a whole lot of reason not to.
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

I admit, if I were bleeding from my femoral artery I would be way less concerned about where I put the cart at Wal-Mart.
    GeorgiaDawg and msgt/ret like this.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

Member Array chiefs-special-guy's Avatar
    i suppose you should have put the cart in a return area. but what he did is about 10000% worse. you did the right thing to ignore him. i always say nothing when i have an encounter of this sort. when you carry, you have an added responsibility to be meek. it is annoying but that is the case i believe. take care.
    Hopyard and tcox4freedom like this.
    Six for sure...Uh, I mean Five. Five for sure..

While you put the cart in a reasonably safe place, a cart corral would have been a better place. I curse the bastitches that leave them wherever they feel like it, but I do so to myself. No need to start something over a shopping cart. He was outta line for commenting but you did great by ignoring him.

You certainly could have done a lot worse.

I wish they would collect a fifty-cent deposit on carts, sure you may have to beat off some enterprising little punk but carts would get put back where they are supposed to go.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    Quote Originally Posted by Brad426 View Post
    I admit, if I were bleeding from my femoral artery I would be way less concerned about where I put the cart at Wal-Mart.
    Of course, I couldn't be found at a Wal-Mart... Avoid that place like... well, I just refuse to go there.
    2nd AMEN likes this.
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

Quote Originally Posted by mlr1m View Post
    How would you feel if the people who pick up your trash were to leave your container in random locations up and down your street instead of in the proper place? How bout if your mail carrier just left your mail at the first house on your block so you could walk down in the rain,snow or heat to pick it up?
    Just saying.

Michael
    I get it. I just think his response was too much.

My post was more about looking for more civil ways to deal with these types of verbal rants from strangers without escalating. Sure, avoidance is always best but what if that isn't possible at the time? I think some people are gifted debaters/arguers and can get their way just by using the right words and tone.

If that is a learned skill, I want it.
    Luis

"Everybody's got a plan, 'til they get hit".

Mike Tyson

Personally, I love Wal-Mart. I can remember the days in the 60's and 70's where you had to go to ten different stores to get the stuff you needed. Now it is all in one place, which is a God send. Think about it, if you had to drive to the grocery store for groceries, then to the pharmacy, then to the gas station, then to the shoe store, then to the sewing store....ad infinitum.....

As to lazy...well, I would address that comment...but I am lazy and tired of typi.........
    Fortune Favors the Bold!

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links