Are you defending your property or your life? - Page 2

Are you defending your property or your life?

This is a discussion on Are you defending your property or your life? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; working for the company I did, carry was not allowed. at the time, Missouri (where it happened) did not allow carry. I was a sitting ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree47Likes

Thread: Are you defending your property or your life?

working for the company I did, carry was not allowed. at the time, Missouri (where it happened) did not allow carry.

I was a sitting duck with a lit car topper sign.

sent from my sending device

The Jack Benny Program - "Your Money Or Your Life" - YouTube

Reminds me of the old Jack Benny skit, your money or your life.

If he's or she is standing in my house uninvited I suspect there not here to say Hi. Despite the current Castle Law issues in Florida, Missouri also passed Castle Law. I'd drop the Hammer. My Dad always taught me, don't draw it unless you have to and if you do make sure to use it like you mean it.
    Spirit51, hinkleid and P95 like this.
    Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.
    Ronald Reagan

Senior Member Array GeorgiaDawg's Avatar
    If someone is threatening my life, for whatever reason, I believe it is acceptable to use deadly force. I don't care if they want my wife, my money, or a stick of gum.
    "For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast." - Ephesians 2:8-9

“The purpose of the law is not to prevent a future offense, but to punish the one actually committed” - Ayn Rand

Maybe we need to look at it this way......

* An armed person (gun/knife) approaches you and demands your wallet/money that would be considered a threat to your life and not the property. That fact that he wants the wallet/money is secondary since they are armed.

* You notice someone has broken into your garage and is hauling out your lawn mower or whatever (does not appear to be armed or not noticeable). This would be considered defending your property and not your life.
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

Quote Originally Posted by Crowman View Post

* An armed person (gun/knife) approaches you and demands your wallet/money that would be considered a threat to your life and not the property. That fact that he wants the wallet/money is secondary since they are armed.

* You notice someone has broken into your garage and is hauling out your lawn mower or whatever (does not appear to be armed or not noticeable). This would be considered defending your property and not your life.
    Too bad he had that extra lawn mower blade in his hand...looked to me like he was swinging it. "Bang, bang"
    Crowman and Spirit51 like this.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty901 View Post
    Life you have no right to defend property. Read the law you have to let them take it heck in Wisconsin your required to help them load it up.
    If you are not in fear of great bodily injury or death from them why would you give them anything? Just like giving stuff away? If you are in fear for your life then you would be fighting for your life not your property.

Michael
    ericb327 likes this.

That's pretty much the way I see it. I'm not going to go through the legal hassle of shooting somebody over a lawn mower. But, if somebody points a gun at me, he has already made the decision that somebody is about to be shot. I'm going to try my best to keep that somebody from being me.
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

Exactly my point.

Michael

The Media ... that has an agenda..... find it hard to argue about you defending yourself against some scumbag or defending your family against some scumbag who's trying to kill you or them ..... but "property" gives them (in their eyes) something to argue about, and one in which they feel they can find bad examples to help their cause.

And, anything they can use to try to paint "those gun folks" as bad, they will jump on it.
    DPro.40 and mlr1m like this.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by P95 View Post
    Property is not worth dyeing for....life is worth fight for.
    All the "stuff" in my house is insured and replaceable---I am insured but NOT replaceable. In my house, at night, the bedroom door is locked and secured--someone enters my home and starts taking things I will not leave my bedroom to confront them--I do not wish to die over a lousy TV or a computer that I can replace. If they decide to try and come into my bedroom, they will die sure as I write this missive. I should note it is only my wife and I at home--no children or other family members in other parts of the home. "Presumption by a reasonable person of imminent death or great bodily injury" is the cornerstone of using your firearm. Someone asking you firmly for your wallet is very questionable after you kill them. PS: In SC, at night and only at night, if you see someone stealing or committing what appears to be a felony and you perform a "citizens arrest" on them, you can shoot them and kill them if they try to evade your arrest.

Quote Originally Posted by kelcarry View Post
    All the "stuff" in my house is insured and replaceable---I am insured but NOT replaceable. In my house, at night, the bedroom door is locked and secured--someone enters my home and starts taking things I will not leave my bedroom to confront them--I do not wish to die over a lousy TV or a computer that I can replace. If they decide to try and come into my bedroom, they will die sure as I write this missive. I should note it is only my wife and I at home--no children or other family members in other parts of the home. "Presumption by a reasonable person of imminent death or great bodily injury" is the cornerstone of using your firearm. Someone asking you firmly for your wallet is very questionable after you kill them. PS: In SC, at night and only at night, if you see someone stealing or committing what appears to be a felony and you perform a "citizens arrest" on them, you can shoot them and kill them if they try to evade your arrest.
    ...including if they have broken or are breaking into your outhouse with a view to plunder.

1995-96 Bill 44: Citizen's arrest - South Carolina Legislature Online
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

Seems clear that basic term "self-defense" is self explanatory, by definition: defense of a person. Like you, my take is that defense of anything else is where something else is being protected. For my part, I'm highly willing to defend myself and loved ones no matter what it takes, even if that results in serious injury or death. To the extent I believe I'm able to affect things in a deadly situation blowing sideways right in front of me, I might extend that to others (ie, an armed robbery right there). And should my local/state hirelings (ie, the DA, police and state reps) see fit to pull the finger out and stop criminalizing defensive actions by citizens (instead, terming such things "vigilantism"), then I'll consider other situations well beyond that, though not until then.

Things/stuff can be replaced, are often (at least partly) insured. Irrespective of any anger or frustration I might have over not defending such stuff, I believe that loss of it isn't worth the loss of my life or the lives of my loved ones. But that's just me.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Distinguished Member Array ericb327's Avatar
    It's not just your property you're defending! Sure, property can be replaced. But what about DIGNITY?
    revldm likes this.
    For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill. (Sun Tzu) The Art of War

https://www.facebook.com/ninja312

My food and product review blog
    http://trualitybarandgrille.wordpress.com/

This provokes this scenario in my mind. OK you wake up at zero dark thirty and realize someone is burglarizing your detached garage or an outbuilding. Calling the police who have one car to cover the whole county is not expected to be of any assistance for quite awhile. You decide to try to surprise and detain said BG for police. A controversial move I agree. This is defense of property at this point, but said BG decides to attack you instead of complying . Now it is self defense situation. I'm on the fence on this one but also don't think we should stand by and let people steal from you. Lots to consider, IE; could it be done without compromising your families safety. Specific state law ....
    RIP Jeff Cooper

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links