Are you defending your property or your life?

This is a discussion on Are you defending your property or your life? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; More and more the distinction between defense of property and defense of life is becoming blurred. The media is playing a big part in this ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree47Likes

Thread: Are you defending your property or your life?

Are you defending your property or your life?

More and more the distinction between defense of property and defense of life is becoming blurred. The media is playing a big part in this in my opinion. The laws in many cases also play into this confusion.

For me defense of property is when there is no danger or threat to a person. You see someone two blocks away breaking into your parked car might be an example. On the other hand if you are in your car and someone demands you give it up that might be a defense of life issue. I say might because you may or may not feel threatened. If you don't feel threatened you laugh and drive away. If you do feel threatened it then goes from defense of property to defense of life.

I constantly hear how its only money give it to them. First if its only money and there is no threat why would I give it to them? Second, if I feel threatened enough to give them my money it is no longer about the money. It is about my life. If someone is asking for your property and you do not feel threatened you are not being robbed. You are being panhandled.

When the media or the Government tries to claim it is only property they are dead wrong when the person being robbed feels they are in danger.

Or I could just be full of it.

Michael

2. Remove Ads

P95
    Property is not worth dying for....life is worth fight for.
    Last edited by P95; July 8th, 2012 at 07:07 PM.

I agree, but maybe the question is: Would you kill to protect your property? If you were being robbed, and you felt threatened, you are POSSIBLY defending your life--or perhaps---you could give them your money and they'd go away. What to do? Money first? See if they leave you alone, and if not, draw? I don't know for sure how I'd handle it.

Quote Originally Posted by Spirit4earth View Post
    I agree, but maybe the question is: Would you kill to protect your property? If you were being robbed, and you felt threatened, you are POSSIBLY defending your life--or perhaps---you could give them your money and they'd go away. What to do? Money first? See if they leave you alone, and if not, draw? I don't know for sure how I'd handle it.
    My point is that,in my opinion, if you give over your property because you fear for your life you are not defending your property. You are defending your life. I am not talking about how a person might react, but why.

Michael
    tcox4freedom likes this.

For me to feel compelled to fork over my property, they'd have to be threatening me with serious physical harm. That being the case, my response would likely go something like this: "bang, bang...thump."
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Distinguished Member Array ericb327's Avatar
    If someone is demanding property in my possession they will have to take it by force. We have to draw the line somewhere. Someone that wants to take something from me has just initiated a deadly situation, for them or me.

There are some situations of course that I would handle differently. Legally speaking.
    For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill. (Sun Tzu) The Art of War

https://www.facebook.com/ninja312

My food and product review blog
    http://trualitybarandgrille.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    For me to feel compelled to fork over my property, they'd have to be threatening me with serious physical harm. That being the case, my response would likely go something like this: "bang, bang...thump."
    I will hand over my property... 124 grains at a time.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

Quote Originally Posted by mlr1m View Post
    My point is that,in my opinion, if you give over your property because you fear for your life you are not defending your property. You are defending your life. I am not talking about how a person might react, but why.

Michael
    Okay, so if you give over your property because you fear for your life, then by giving your property you have defended your life. There might not be a need for further defense. But if there is....!!!!

Life you have no right to defend property. Read the law you have to let them take it heck in Wisconsin your required to help them load it up.

VIP Member
    In my opinion, anyone who is willing to take my property from me at knife or gun point, is also willing to do me grave bodily harm or kill me. He has made a conscious decision that he wants to die (although most aren't smart enough to realize it). I will not use my gun to defend my property, but I will use it to defend my life against a predator while he tries to apply his trade.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Senior Moderator
    In a perfect world one would be able to defend his property with lethal force if need be.

If everyone grew up with concept that you could get your ass shot for stealing, the world would be a better place.

We wouldn't have career felons doing it for a living with in this rotating door justice system of of ours.
    The reason that it will never happen is because of lawyers. It cuts into their bottom line. They make a living off of that stuff too.

Giving up property to some meth headed punk just because you cant legally kill him goes against everything manly. Letting someone take something,anything, in your house because he is running out the door with your TV or whatever and you don't feel "threatened" and not shooting him like the vermin he is, is down right wrong.

For the liberal intelligentsia among us that would argue the finer points of defending property with lethal force, take a look around you and see how well that is working.
    Oh thats right...it ain't.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

The greatest problem with letting him have your property, there would have to be some level of threat for that to happen, and you are justified in defence, second big problem if he victumnizes you once, there is a good chance he will do it again, and the next time he may kill you. If he hightail it at near world record running speeds, and does not have property with him, have let him flee, and there is a very good bet he does not want to see men again. Of course he will likely victumnize someone else and society would be better off without him, shooting in this case might will put you in a legal tangle, and has a very good chance of costing you dearly in legal fees.

Alrighty, all you arm chair pistoleros, how many of you have been in a robbery? How many of you now set off a metal detector due to a piece of metal left inside you during a robbery?

Having 20 years of restaurant experience has allowed me to be involved in 3 robberies. One (for $19.00) left a bullet sitting on the outside of my 5th rib. The 14 yr. old gang banger started shooting immediately after asking for my money.

There isn't anyone here who can say with 100% accuracy just what they will do in a violent situation. Situational awareness is the key, but there are times that does not work.

I was lucky; I was shot at point blank range, and lived to tell about it.

sent from my sending device

Senior Moderator
    shooting in this case might will put you in a legal tangle, and has a very good chance of costing you dearly in legal fees

Trust me...it would and in most places is not even legal.

Notice that I said in a "perfect world", which unfortunatley, we arent in.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tnlc9 View Post
    Alrighty, all you arm chair pistoleros, how many of you have been in a robbery? How many of you now set off a metal detector due to a piece of metal left inside you during a robbery?

Having 20 years of restaurant experience has allowed me to be involved in 3 robberies. One (for $19.00) left a bullet sitting on the outside of my 5th rib. The 14 yr. old gang banger started shooting immediately after asking for my money.

There isn't anyone here who can say with 100% accuracy just what they will do in a violent situation. Situational awareness is the key, but there are times that does not work.

I was lucky; I was shot at point blank range, and lived to tell about it.

sent from my sending device
    Did you return fire?
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links