Incident today with door to door beggar. - Page 2

Incident today with door to door beggar.

This is a discussion on Incident today with door to door beggar. within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm a fairly charitable person. I just have parameters which helps keep me safe, and ensures my charitable contributions don't get wasted. What that means, ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: Incident today with door to door beggar.

I'm a fairly charitable person. I just have parameters which helps keep me safe, and ensures my charitable contributions don't get wasted.

What that means, is I don't give money or rides to those who appear to be homeless, down on their luck, or panhandlers/beggars. There are plenty of sources for those people to go to for a hot meal, a shelter, financial assistance or whatever they need. I direct them to those resources, and/or will be happy to call the police for them to get assistance and a more immediate response to their needs.

I donate my cash to established charitable organizations I have checked out or have dealt with before and have a long standing relationship with.

Having an established policy on how I donate and help the community makes it easier not to be caught off guard, or put in an awkward position when beggars and street people pop out to ask for a handout. I just say "No, I can't help you, but I can tell you who to call for help."
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar
    With regards to the non emergency number, it used to be that this number was published in the front of the local phone book (at least that is what I recall from when I was younger). Several years ago, we had a new years eve party a guest, who worked with my wife, became very intoxicated and we sent him to bed instead of letting him drive home. In the middle of the night we woke up, found his keys and left. In the process he set off our house alarm (waking us up), his car alarm, and my truck's alarm (I am sure the neighbors loved us). After getting off the phone with the alarm company, I tried to find the non-emergency number in the phone book, but wasn't having any luck. Finally I said screw it and dialled 911 and reported him giving a description and where I believed he would be heading. I was (later) told that reporting him was a smart thing to do from a liability standpoint.

Surprisingly he didn't show up to work for 3 days with no call and no explaination and when he did return he was miraculously enrolled in an alcohol abuse program (we had zero idea that he had a sever problem when we invited him). Though he never said anything, I am convinced he got nabbed.

I didn't mean to hijack the thread, but the main point was that I couldn't find a non-emergency number when I needed it.

HOLD ON! Of course he wanted the money, but he asked your dad for a ride but then walked away when you were going to be in the vehicle. When it would have been 2 on 1, he was no longer interested in the ride. That makes me suspect he had something in mind if he would have been in the car with just your dad. I personally think you should report this to the police today and keep a vigilant watch around your houses and inform your other neighbors. There's a reason he mentioned the ride with your dad and walked off when you came into the picture...and I'd venture to say his reason wasn't good. Stay alert and don't under-estimate the person...he may have been scouting people out and targeted your dad for a reason. Please stay safe.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Distinguished Member Array ericb327's Avatar
    My community has an ordinance about soliciting. I put no soliciting signs on my doors along with a not trespassing sign. I hate getting all the church, pizza, realty, roofing and window ads put on my door. I just don't want those people on my property. Thieves have been using this as a way to case the neighborhood.
    For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill. (Sun Tzu) The Art of War

https://www.facebook.com/ninja312

My food and product review blog
    http://trualitybarandgrille.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    HOLD ON! Of course he wanted the money, but he asked your dad for a ride but then walked away when you were going to be in the vehicle. When it would have been 2 on 1, he was no longer interested in the ride.
    Good point. Should have said that what the guy didn't want was baby formula. Could have been change, all the cash you had, the keys to your home, your car, your life or any combination of these.
    ericb327 and BugDude like this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

My parents are too nice, too charitable, and too trusting. I live 630 miles away from them and worry about this kind of stuff, especially considering how the neighborhood has declined in the last 20+ years. I've tried and tried to warn them about some of this stuff. In their case, it is mostly neighborhood people they "know", but like I've tried to tell them you don't know what a person is capable of when they're hopped up on stuff.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    HOLD ON! Of course he wanted the money, but he asked your dad for a ride but then walked away when you were going to be in the vehicle. When it would have been 2 on 1, he was no longer interested in the ride. That makes me suspect he had something in mind if he would have been in the car with just your dad. I personally think you should report this to the police today and keep a vigilant watch around your houses and inform your other neighbors. There's a reason he mentioned the ride with your dad and walked off when you came into the picture...and I'd venture to say his reason wasn't good. Stay alert and don't under-estimate the person...he may have been scouting people out and targeted your dad for a reason. Please stay safe.

^^^Absolutely ^^^^

Your father made out okay, the next guys may not. I'd have called the cops as soon as possible regardless what my wife said. In a situation like that YOU need to evaluate everything that transpired and make YOUR decision based on what took place. If the guy just wanted the cash and he possed no threat, so what, that's his fault for lying. Let him tell it to the cops. At least he'll get his ID ran and see if he's a wanted theif, or worse. IMO, that could've easily gone bad for you and your father. Just sayin.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

I don't deal well with panhandlers, they quickly find out that they need to do a 180...

That could have been a big problem for your dad.
    He should not have opened the door.OMO
    Last edited by RETSUPT99; July 9th, 2012 at 10:30 AM.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

P95
    Seemed to be just another dope head. Glad it was a safe turnout for everyone.

911 is the PD's number. If you have business with the po-po, dial 911.

Distinguished Member
    My policy is, if I don't know you or am not expecting you (for service/trades), I don't answer the door.
    "I got a lot of problems with you people!" - Frank Costanza

adric22,
    Your Dad's a smart guy, kudos to him. I would've reported it in case this guys next visit was more aggressive which might have been his intent...
    RIP Jeff Cooper

Distinguished Member
    Our local police have a non-emergency number, but it still answered by the same dispatcher who handles all the 911 calls. The difference is they know before they answer it is not a priority call. They can tend to more urgent issues before they take your call. Calling 911 when there is no emergency is illegal in some areas, so think about this before you dial.

Quote Originally Posted by oldnfat View Post
    ...Calling 911 when there is no emergency is illegal in some areas, so think about this before you dial.
    Yes. Always use the non-emergency number for calling the police when McDonald's shorts you two McNuggets.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Distinguished Member Array ArkhmAsylm's Avatar
    -
    The emergency could have been the next potential victim's - call 911 next time. I have yet to have an officer tell me I've done wrong by doing so in these types of cases.
    "Historical examination of the right to bear arms, from English antecedents to the drafting of the Second Amendment, bears proof that the right to bear arms has consistently been, and should still be, construed as an individual right." -- U.S. District Judge Sam Cummings, Re: U.S. vs Emerson (1999)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links