Incident today with door to door beggar.

This is a discussion on Incident today with door to door beggar. within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The man was panhandling/begging/soliciting money. In most communities there are ordinances against this. We have had people do this on occasion in our neighborhood and ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: Incident today with door to door beggar.

Distinguished Member Array GunGeezer's Avatar
    The man was panhandling/begging/soliciting money. In most communities there are ordinances against this. We have had people do this on occasion in our neighborhood and we always call the police who respond eventually and if the guy is still around they take him for a ride.
    In Florida, when they cross your property line( front lawn/driveway) they can be charged with trespassing if they refuse to leave when asked. If they get surly with you there is always stand-your-ground. We as citizens don't have many rights anymore, but as long as I pay my taxes, my house is mine and my word in it is law!
    They used to allow panhandling on street corners in my city. The place got over run with dead-beat types asking for handouts. They began to get pretty aggressive and made my wife extremely nervous to the point she avoided certain intersections. Most of them were homeless and started tent cities on city property and in parks where they used any convenient area to relieve themselves. The city finally got tired of all the complaints and made it illegal and began arresting those who still tried it. Practically over night they fled like locusts to another city that had no such ordinance.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by marcclarke View Post
    How very odd. When I have called my local police's non-emergency number I have reached a real live police officer every time.

I suggest you elect a new Police Chief.
    Maybe the result of city cutbacks.....

Quote Originally Posted by bigdogtx View Post
    Maybe the result of city cutbacks.....
    Maybe.

And the solution is the same. Elect a new Police Chief.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fastk9dad View Post
    My policy is, if I don't know you or am not expecting you (for service/trades), I don't answer the door.
    Or the phone for any length of conversation. Adric, y'all sound like good people. But this isn't an economic environment for face-to-face random acts of kindness. Here in LA, I'm always learning. I'm a nice guy but have no remorse or hesitation to treat strangers like I'm retsupt99.
    But I may have remorse when I don't.
    Americans understood the right of self-preservation as permitting a citizen to repel force by force
    when the intervention of society... may be too late to prevent an injury.
    -Blackstone’s Commentaries 145–146, n. 42 (1803) in District of Columbia v. Heller, 554 U.S. 570 (2008)

Adric, we're having just that scam in my area of FtW, Wedgwood.

ALso, the non-emergency number is initially a recording with options, a call-taker comes on the line after the options are done.

I think the last time I dialed the non-emergency number I just got the same 911 dispatcher. Hopefully it at least marks the call as non-emergency and puts me on hold if there are other calls.

This would have been a good time to discreetly snap a cell phone photo of the guy for future use.

He wanted you to finance his next fix! Either dope or booze!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    Your dad has a good head on his shoulders.
    I kind of disagree, Dad should know better than to
    1: open the door to strangers.
    2: leave safety of home to walk away with stranger.
    3: consider actually getting into car with stranger, whether son is with him or not.

What would Dad have done if the son was not home, decided to "take a chance" and drive the guy anyways?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links