Incident today with door to door beggar.

This is a discussion on Incident today with door to door beggar. within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My parents live in the house next to me. Today this man showed up at my fathers home, rang the doorbell, then gave my dad ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: Incident today with door to door beggar.

Incident today with door to door beggar.

My parents live in the house next to me. Today this man showed up at my fathers home, rang the doorbell, then gave my dad a sob-story about needing money for some baby formula. My dad said he wouldn't give him any money. So next the man said he was very hot and tired and asked if my dad would drive him home. Of course my dad being in his late 60's didn't feel comfortable doing that. So he walked over to my house with the man. My dad asked if I'd drive all of us down to the store and buy some baby formula and take the man home. I agreed. But then the man lost interest. He said, "Look, could you just give me the money and trust me?" My dad and I both politely said no. Then he walked off. He didn't even seem interested in the ride home anymore.

My dad told me later that he specifically came to my house knowing that I'd be armed, and felt more comfortable taking the man to the store and home. Now we see that was a good judgement call because apparently the man didn't want to be driven home. There is no telling what he would have done if he had gotten in the car with my dad.

I was going to call the police but my wife insisted that i not call 911 and tie up emergency lines for something like that. So I called the police department's main number but there was simply a recording saying that if we needed police assistance to hang up and dial 911. So I just said forget it.

Anyway. That's the end, nothing spectacular.
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Burns's Avatar
    Every department has a non-emergency/information number, you probably didn't call the right one? Glad that everything worked out, hopefully the next guy he does it to is just as lucky.
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable- JFK

Every time I have called the non-emergency line they transferred me to 911.
    --Jason--

Quote Originally Posted by Burns View Post
    Every department has a non-emergency/information number, you probably didn't call the right one?
    +1

One thing to consider is if when your father walked over to your house, did he lock the door behind him? An accomplice could've easily came in the door behind the two of them. Talking through the door or completely ignoring strangers might be the best course of action. Opportunity arrises once the door is open, they could be scouting to see what you have inside or kick the door in once you unlock and start opening it. We as law abiding/good hearted people often feel like we need to help others (which isn't bad), but unfortunately, some people take advantage of that. Just some things to consider - I'm not trying to tell you what to do (hopefully I didn't come off that way).

In the end, I'm glad that you and your father are safe and sound.
    oneshot, TN_Mike and Pistology like this.
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

(J.R.R.Tolkien [Faramir], The Two Towers

I don't answer my door for anyone, unless they've called me first. Basically, if I'm not expecting you, then you're not coming into my home...It's just too dangerous nowadays. Incidentally, If I'm out in my yard, I'm armed. I once had a "sales" person enter my open garage while I was out there working, I informed them in no uncertain terms that my garage is part of my home, and you are not to enter my home without my permission. This sales "lady" was supposedly selling magazines, she then asked if I would mind going into my home to get her something to drink! I told her that she's not welcome, "hit the road". I'm convinced that people could avoid alot of problems by keeping their boundaries secure. Keep your guard up! Stay alert, stay alive...

Quote Originally Posted by ttowndeputy View Post
    I don't answer my door for anyone, unless they've called me first. Basically, if I'm not expecting you, then you're not coming into my home...It's just too dangerous nowadays. Incidentally, If I'm out in my yard, I'm armed. I once had a "sales" person enter my open garage while I was out there working, I informed them in no uncertain terms that my garage is part of my home, and you are not to enter my home without my permission. This sales "lady" was supposedly selling magazines, she then asked if I would mind going into my home to get her something to drink! I told her that she's not welcome, "hit the road". I'm convinced that people could avoid alot of problems by keeping their boundaries secure. Keep your guard up! Stay alert, stay alive...
    magazines eh? 99% of the time those people are scammers. The longer they stay on your property the more of chance they might "get hurt" and boom you got a law suit

He wanted cash for booze and/or dope, period. Thank God he was not willing to hurt or maim to get the cash.
    Pistology likes this.

I think I would of called 911 irregardless of what my wife would said. What you experienced is what they have the line for. Send a unit and pick this guy up. You have to believe he kept knocking until someone I went stupid and did as he asked. That person likely doesn't haven't their son next store. Not trying to give you guilt trip.

It's just too weird to trust anyone you don't know at the door. I won't give rides, and I don't answer the door to strangers. I will call the local police to have them check out a person who is trying to get a ride. Not to get them in trouble...just to have the LEO evaluate if they need more assistance..Wish the world wasn't this harsh. My 2 cents..it is now.
    niks, RemMod597 and Pistology like this.
    All men are equal...CC makes us equal-er.

Not to hijack your thread but your post reminded me of an incident that occurred years ago at a quick stop, aka Stop and Rob. A guy came toward me in the parking lot near the gas pump, sizing me up he simply said, "I am not going to lie to you, I am drunk and I want some cash to buy some beer (a few other of his comments I am not allowed to post ie., much vulgarity) I replied to him that was the wrong approach to use. He then said, "you are a preacher aren't you?" I smiled and told him yes, he then proceeded to tell me he was filled with the Holy Spirit and could speak in strange tongues.
    danwdooley likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by ttowndeputy View Post
    This ^^^

Just don't answer the door - ever! Stay armed - always.

I would have said no,if you need help I'll call the Police for you,bet he woulda found all kinds of energy to haul butt,
    TELL YOUR DAD TO ASK STRANGERS QUESTIONS BEHIND A LOCKED DOOR.
    There are numerous incidents where once a door is unlocked you just opened the one deterrent between you and a BG that may save your life
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by Blades View Post
    Every time I have called the non-emergency line they transferred me to 911.
    How very odd. When I have called my local police's non-emergency number I have reached a real live police officer every time.

I suggest you elect a new Police Chief.
    ColoradoLady likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by adric22 View Post
    My dad asked if I'd drive all of us down to the store and buy some baby formula and take the man home. I agreed. But then the man lost interest. He said, "Look, could you just give me the money and trust me?" My dad and I both politely said no. Then he walked off. He didn't even seem interested in the ride home anymore.

And that is how we do that.

The goal was the money, of course. The baby formula ruse was nothing else. The wind hissing out of his sails proved every question you might have had about his basic motives. Circumspection is a wonderful thing. Willingness to help, leavened with unwillingness to be made a fool. Your father's been 'round the dance floor more than once. Kudos.
    atctimmy and ColoradoLady like this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Your dad has a good head on his shoulders.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links