Went orange... at church?

This is a discussion on Went orange... at church? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by 383 In Virginia, carrying on school property and in churches (during services) are prohibited. There have been times that I would have ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: Went orange... at church?

Quote Originally Posted by 383 View Post
    In Virginia, carrying on school property and in churches (during services) are prohibited. There have been times that I would have felt better in church if I had been armed.
    In Virginia, you can legally carry in church. The law states you can carry if you have "good and sufficient reason." Last year, attorney general Ken Cuchinelli established in a ruling that "self defense is good and sufficient reason." I lived in Virginia last year when this changed and debated it ad nauseum with the Roanoke Times columnist, Dan Casey.
    tcox4freedom likes this.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by ANGLICO View Post
    And if you are from NASA and in Polk County (child sex sting), you offer them Skittles and Condoms...... That is bad, I know it. I'm going straight to 'Heck'.
    ooooof....Polk County must set some kind of records for child sex stings.....

Distinguished Member Array matthew03's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    In Virginia, you can legally carry in church. The law states you can carry if you have "good and sufficient reason." Last year, attorney general Ken Cuchinelli established in a ruling that "self defense is good and sufficient reason." I lived in Virginia last year when this changed and debated it ad nauseum with the Roanoke Times columnist, Dan Casey.
    True, my Pastor, (close friend), was planning on closing the balcony at my church and only decided not to on the condition that I carry to service. BugDude we must have been neighbors.

Every couple of years, just before the offering, a masked gunman would try to stick up the pastor on the stage. "Gimme your money!" The pastor would explain that robbing him is a lot like robbing God, because the pastor's money is not his, but was given to him by the congregation with the task of doing God's work.

The meek masked man would then take a seat, while the pastor then went into a sermon about how we're supposed to be giving to charity - a LOT - and by refusing to give to charity and spending the money unwisely instead - we would also be stealing from God. (What always struck me, other than the masked gunman, was the pastor's emphasis that the money didn't have to go to this specific church (though we were obviously welcome to!), but that it was a lifestyle choice). I was raised in a different style of church, though, that pointed out that the 'rich man' in Luke was objectively much poorer than we were.

To be continued - the day Gecko45 was in the audience ...
    Our current plan for Universal Iron Lung coverage, just sayin'.
    Wisest. Retirement. Plan. Ever.
    Good thing the March of Dimes worked. How, why?

Alternately, for those with a tool shed, ideas, or creative loved ones to tell..

Quote Originally Posted by CanuckQue View Post
    Every couple of years, just before the offering, a masked gunman would try to stick up the pastor on the stage. "Gimme your money!" The pastor would explain that robbing him is a lot like robbing God, because the pastor's money is not his, but was given to him by the congregation with the task of doing God's work.

The meek masked man would then take a seat, while the pastor then went into a sermon about how we're supposed to be giving to charity - a LOT - and by refusing to give to charity and spending the money unwisely instead - we would also be stealing from God. (What always struck me, other than the masked gunman, was the pastor's emphasis that the money didn't have to go to this specific church (though we were obviously welcome to!), but that it was a lifestyle choice). I was raised in a different style of church, though, that pointed out that the 'rich man' in Luke was objectively much poorer than we were.

To be continued - the day Gecko45 was in the audience ...

I'm not so sure this would be a smart thing at my church. The minister and his wife just got their CPL's and there are at least three people that I know of that carry every Sunday, and I know the minister has given permission to four others. I realize the incident your talking about is a staged peformance to lead into the "Give till it hurts" sermon but I hope they explain it to people before someone assumes its real and gets scared into a heart attack of draws a weapon to protect the minister.

Quote Originally Posted by matthew03 View Post
    BugDude we must have been neighbors.
    Could have been. Lived in Pulaski county 14 years. I had 2 60s Volkswagen bugs, one painted like Herbie and the other a hippy flower peace bug.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Just last year a pastor and an associate pastor were shot during a service locally. It doesn't happen often, but evil can go anywhere. I'll never understand the states that don't allow carry in church.
    Sheriff Grady Judd calls parishioners "heroes" for restraining suspect until deputies arrived | wtsp.com

Quote Originally Posted by TedBeau View Post
    I'm not so sure this would be a smart thing at my church. The minister and his wife just got their CPL's and there are at least three people that I know of that carry every Sunday, and I know the minister has given permission to four others. I realize the incident your talking about is a staged peformance to lead into the "Give till it hurts" sermon but I hope they explain it to people before someone assumes its real and gets scared into a heart attack of draws a weapon to protect the minister.
    Ehn, to quote the bishop. "God will know His own"
    Our current plan for Universal Iron Lung coverage, just sayin'.
    Wisest. Retirement. Plan. Ever.
    Good thing the March of Dimes worked. How, why?

Alternately, for those with a tool shed, ideas, or creative loved ones to tell..

GH
    We can't carry in my church because it's attached to the school & like VA it's against the law. Our pastors & school principal are definitely for carry laws but unfortunately we can't do legally. At most services there is at least one off duty PO in attendance. Whether they're carrying is unknown to me. I would guess that they are.

You did just fine, paaiyan. Keeping a vigilant watch on the person in question, watching his hands & determining that he wasn't a threat. Had he been the kids would have been safe with you there & armed.

Well done.
    Glenn

USN Submarine & UDT/SEAL Veteran
    1SG, US Army Retired - Airborne Infantry All the Way!
    Special Operations Mentor
    M&P40, M&P40C

Went orange... at church?
    Yep, no need to be surprised that you might have to actually go to red in church. Bad things can, and do, happen everywhere. Glad your situation turned out to be harmless though. Well done.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Quote Originally Posted by TN_Mike View Post
    Yep, no need to be surprised that you might have to actually go to red in church. Bad things can, and do, happen everywhere. Glad your situation turned out to be harmless though. Well done.
    Church is no different than the grocery store, the mall, walking down the street, taking in a movie, or skipping rocks across the pond at the park. SD in on you.

At our church we have a specific policy that no dramas, skits, etc. will contain real or fake weapons or acts of aggression unless the audience is fully made aware. This helps avoid situations that the op was confronted with.
    Confidence is the feeling you have before you realize the full measure of the situation.

Wow...I've never seen anyone wear orange clothes to Church.

About 2 years ago on a Sunday morning the Pastor was preaching about the persecution of Christians in other nations. Suddenly 4 men with hoods over their heads and pistols drawn burst through the church doors, ran up to the pulpit grabbed the Pastor and drug him out of the church. I couldn't tell who the BG's were due to the hoods over their heads.
    All I and the rest of the congregation could do is watch in horror as the BG's were yelling at the top of their voices as they drug the Pastor out of the church. Shortly thereafter the pastor came back inside and explained that he was trying to show what some churches in other parts of the world go through.
    Fortunately I didn't have my ccw permit yet so I wasn't armed. Honestly, I don't know what I would have done if I was armed. Needless to say I was highly pissed off and have talked to the pastor about what could of happened if me or someone else would have been armed that morning. He informed me that he realized his mistake during the next service when a man in the congregation charged the BG's during the same skit.
    If you died today and stood in front of God and He asked you " Why should I let you into My Heaven?" what would you say?

Quote Originally Posted by Weeg View Post
    Wow...I've never seen anyone wear orange clothes to Church.

That's how they do it at county lock-up.

Quote Originally Posted by goldmaster View Post
    About 2 years ago on a Sunday morning the Pastor was preaching about the persecution of Christians in other nations. Suddenly 4 men with hoods over their heads and pistols drawn burst through the church doors, ran up to the pulpit grabbed the Pastor and drug him out of the church. I couldn't tell who the BG's were due to the hoods over their heads.
    All I and the rest of the congregation could do is watch in horror as the BG's were yelling at the top of their voices as they drug the Pastor out of the church. Shortly thereafter the pastor came back inside and explained that he was trying to show what some churches in other parts of the world go through.
    Fortunately I didn't have my ccw permit yet so I wasn't armed. Honestly, I don't know what I would have done if I was armed. Needless to say I was highly pissed off and have talked to the pastor about what could of happened if me or someone else would have been armed that morning. He informed me that he realized his mistake during the next service when a man in the congregation charged the BG's during the same skit.
    Stunning. 45 points prevents me from expressing my true opinion.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links