I was car jacked at gunpoint

This is a discussion on I was car jacked at gunpoint within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Chaplain Scott GLAD you are OK!!! Man, you just never know do you!!?? Too bad you couldn't have run him over when ...

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Like Tree158Likes

Thread: I was car jacked at gunpoint

Distinguished Member Array sid1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Chaplain Scott View Post
    GLAD you are OK!!! Man, you just never know do you!!?? Too bad you couldn't have run him over when he was in front of you.
    Very valid point, as I pulled up I was two feet from the building, (parallel) and as he ran out he was in full stride coming my way. If I put my truck in drive to run him over (I would have loved too) he would have been on my drivers side already.

2. Remove Ads

If you lived to talk about it, you did good.
    mprp, Chaplain Scott and 64zebra like this.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Quote Originally Posted by pfries View Post
    Very sorry to hear it Sid, glad you are OK. You did good, one of the reasons I have a car mounted holster, not to say that it would have changed anything but I feel it increases my odds of survival in many potential situations.
    This has been an avenue I've looked at, for just this reason. But in this case I really feel I would have still lost this fight. I think the only way it would have ended with me shooting this scumbag would to have had my gun on my lap finger on trigger.

Distinguished Member Array ericb327's Avatar
    I hope you don't suffer the side affects too bad. Fight or flight can be a real hard on your head and body. Can't imagine what must be goin through head right now.
    KoB likes this.
    For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill. (Sun Tzu) The Art of War

https://www.facebook.com/ninja312

My food and product review blog
    http://trualitybarandgrille.wordpress.com/

mkh
    Quote Originally Posted by } View Post
    Very sorry to hear it Sid, glad you are OK. You did good, one of the reasons I have a car mounted holster, not to say that it would have changed anything but I feel it increases my odds of survival in many potential situations.
    It would have changed things - the BG would have been driving off with your truck and your gun.
    sid1, BugDude, Dandyone and 5 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by gigamortis View Post

Thanks for sharing your experience. It does give the rest of us here a scenario to think about when approaching stop and robs. From now on, I will park in the back 40 when needing to go inside a stop and rob. That would put me at a lesser probability of getting caught off guard vs. my vehicle being an opportunistic easy picking right at the front door.
    Very good advise, and one I will start to practice

If you walked away from a bad situtition it is all good.
    sid1 and 64zebra like this.
    You do not know, what you do not know, until you realize that you do not know it

VIP Member
    The important thing is you survived the experience.
    sid1 likes this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by ericb327 View Post
    I hope you don't suffer the side affects too bad. Fight or flight can be a real hard on your head and body. Can't imagine what must be goin through head right now.
    Cant you tell, as I'm writing this, I am curled up in a ball in the corner of my room, on speaker phone with my therapist?
    Thanks, I'm actually doing pretty good about the whole thing. It's only a truck and can be replaced. Now if it were my Harley then?
    The Manager of the gas station said he will give me a copy of the video and I will share when I can.
    paramedic70002 likes this.

I was was almost car jacked in the summer of 2010 here in Cincinnati at a stop light. It messed with my head and my muscles were sore for three days. My gun was in the glove box. Because my permit hadn't shown up yet. Same situation, not much I could do! Glad they saw me reach and back off.

I came home and kissed & hugged my son. Never told him.
    sid1 likes this.
    For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill. (Sun Tzu) The Art of War

Wow a touch of reality hits the DC; we can now see that not every hold up/ truck jacking ends in a blood bath/shootout. Glad you are all right and got your truck back but the other side of the coin shows that no matter how hard we train or read about things sometimes the odds get you anyway
    suntzu, ericb327, sid1 and 1 others like this.

Thanks for posting this. It helps us realize that just because we have a weapon, we don't have to use it to have a successful outcome. Glad you are OK.

Senior Member Array Chad Rogers's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sid1 View Post
    Ok so here's the story, this happened this morning. I woke up as I normally do at 4:30 AM take the dog for a walk. Grab my cell and my gun place it on my hip get ready for my 30 minute ride to work. My daily routine is to stop off at the gas station for my morning coffee. (So far just the same as every other day). As I pull up to the gas station I place my truck into park and just then a guy runs out of the front door pointing a gun at me (he is in front of my truck as this happens). Still in a jog he rounds the drivers window of my truck (my window is down) still pointing a gun at me but now it is pressing against my temple. I just realized I came up to an armed robbery of the gas station. What’s going though my head is I have my gun on my hip, but it's at my 4 O’clock and my seat belt is still on and my truck is still running. WHAT TO DO? This dirt bag has got the jump on me and there isn't a thing I can do. I then came to my senses and realized I wasn’t going to die over something as trivial as my truck. (not going lie having a dirt bag freaking out pushing a gun into my temple was very unsettling) and as many times I played it over in my head today I don’t think I would have came out ahead on this one. I gave the truck up. I would like to give two thumbs up to the Milwaukee PD. they bent over backwards to find my truck (which they did, within an hour after it was jacked).

I would also personally thank a member of this forum "Chiboxer" and his hard work on getting my truck back so fast. (happened about 5;15 AM truck dusted for finger prints at work about 7:50 AM )

I owe you brother!
    I can't wait to hear from the guys who would have done blah, blah, blah if it had only been them.

If only you had been open carrying. Then you would have had the force field around you...
    jdsumner likes this.
    "People who take an Internet handle of a great warrior, are usually the first to go fetal when crunch time comes." - Me

Quote Originally Posted by Chad Rogers View Post
    I can't wait to hear from the guys who would have done blah, blah, blah if it had only been them.
    Yeah well, the next time they get a gun pointed to their temple they can find out for themselves!
    jdsumner likes this.

I'm also glad this turned out okay. I'm not sure what I would have done.

I have made it a habit to keep my shirt behind my gun (essentially open carrying) when I'm driving just for these sort of things. I've discovered how long it takes to get my gun from my hip when my shirt is covering it, plus I'm half sitting on the shirt, and my seatbelt is keeping the shirt over it too. However, if my SA failed me and found myself in this situation with gun already on my temple, it still probably wouldn't help any. And even if I managed to shoot the dirtbag there is still a good chance he'll shoot back and I wouldn't want to take that risk.

However, a few others commented that they would shoot the guy as he drove off. I think I'd be tempted to do the same. I don't mind replacing a windshield or fixing a bullet hole in the car. After all, that would probably cost less than the repair work it would need after getting ragged out buy a carjacker. I'd probably wait until he was closing the door, then just blow his brains out. He'd be concentrating on getting the vehicle in drive.. Every vehicle is a bit different so he would probably be paused for a moment. (He'd probably never figure out how to get my car in gear) I'd take that opportunity to terminate him.

Of course, I'm just being an armchair quarterback. Without actually being in that situation I'm just theorizing what I'd do.
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Links