I was car jacked at gunpoint

This is a discussion on I was car jacked at gunpoint within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Dang man. Glad your okay and nothing BAD happened. I am glad to know the police and a fellow member came through for you. That's ...

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
Like Tree158Likes

Thread: I was car jacked at gunpoint

Dang man. Glad your okay and nothing BAD happened. I am glad to know the police and a fellow member came through for you. That's awesome!

Sent from my DROID RAZR

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Bill MO's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by adric22 View Post
    I'm also glad this turned out okay. I'm not sure what I would have done.

I have made it a habit to keep my shirt behind my gun (essentially open carrying) when I'm driving just for these sort of things. I've discovered how long it takes to get my gun from my hip when my shirt is covering it, plus I'm half sitting on the shirt, and my seatbelt is keeping the shirt over it too. This is one reason I now carry AIWB, the gun is more accessible while seat in the car. However, if my SA failed me and found myself in this situation with gun already on my temple, it still probably wouldn't help any. If you do not have the gun in hand by the time his gun is on your temple I see any movement to draw being a bad move to make, And even if I managed to shoot the dirtbag there is still a good chance he'll shoot back and I wouldn't want to take that risk. What I see happening with this situation is both you and the BG dying.

However, a few others commented that they would shoot the guy as he drove off. I think I'd be tempted to do the same. Problem here is there is no long a threat to your life, it is leaving. Unless he is going to shoot you as he is driving off. I don't mind replacing a windshield or fixing a bullet hole in the car. After all, that would probably cost less than the repair work it would need after getting ragged out buy a carjacker. I'd probably wait until he was closing the door, then just blow his brains out. I did this in a FOF class the instructor asked where is the threat to your life? I was carrying AIWB and drew as we passed, his getting into the car and my getting out. I then step behind him and shot him in the head through the door opening. Again NO GUN pointed at me at the time and he was leaving. Threat gone. My thought after the FOF situation, was to order him out of the car, if he tries to run over me with the car leaving or tries to bring the gun to bear I now have a threat to life and can shoot. He'd be concentrating on getting the vehicle in drive.. Every vehicle is a bit different so he would probably be paused for a moment. (He'd probably never figure out how to get my car in gear) I'd take that opportunity to terminate him.

Of course, I'm just being an armchair quarterback. Without actually being in that situation I'm just theorizing what I'd do.

Now I'm not saying I would have shot him or done anything to have stopped him. NO! To say any such thing one would have to have been there in the GG's shoes at the time. Sitting at the keyboard and being there is two different big things in life. But I would have been looking for any moment to have put lead into him. No matter how small of a opening it may be. Be it all comes down to did your mind freeze up or did it keep working and openly thinking trying to work out the problem at hand.

Just some of my thoughts on the situation the OP had.

Still a good job done by OP he got to go home to his family.
    It's gotta be who you are, not a hobby. reinman45

"Is this persons bad behavior worth me having to kill them over?" Guantes

Quote Originally Posted by Sig35seven View Post
    OP did the right thing. I may have been tempted to shoot out a tire. Close range. I would imagine discharge of the weapon may cause some legal issues but it would prevent a speedy get away and may have prevented a high speed chase ending up killing innocent people.
    Have you ever shot out a tire? TV wrong again.
    Secret Spuk likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill MO View Post
    Now I'm not saying I would have shot him or done anything to have stopped him. NO! To say any such thing one would have to have been there in the GG's shoes at the time. Sitting at the keyboard and being there is two different big things in life. But I would have been looking for any moment to have put lead into him. No matter how small of a opening it may be. Be it all comes down to did your mind freeze up or did it keep working and openly thinking trying to work out the problem at hand.

Just some of my thoughts on the situation the OP had.

Still a good job done by OP he got to go home to his family.

I understand your point BUT he made it out of the situation alive. By the time he would have had an opportunity to shoot the guy he was already out of harms way and the guy was only taking his truck and he was no longer in immediate danger.

I think shooting the guy as he is driving away or attempting to drive away would only open up the opportunity for an innocent bystander to get hurt by your shots or his possible return fire.

Quote Originally Posted by MBRIDER View Post
    I understand your point BUT he made it out of the situation alive. By the time he would have had an opportunity to shoot the guy he was already out of harms way and the guy was only taking his truck and he was no longer in immediate danger.

I think shooting the guy as he is driving away or attempting to drive away would only open up the opportunity for an innocent bystander to get hurt by your shots or his possible return fire.

Once he starts to drive away the fight is over, there is no longer a threat in any way, unless he is shooting at you as he leaves.

There is a chance of that in bold happening any time shots are fired. If that is a worry for you and will keep you from using your gun I think you need to rethink you carrying a gun. When you carry you take responsible for such things and if you can't deal with those things happening then your mindset is not right to carry.

No where has it ever been said "life is fair". Life happens and we live with it, how ever it happens. But for me living life in fear and afraid to do, is not living.

Just me and my thoughts.

sgb
    sid1 I'm most certainly glad you're unharmed. Your guard was down and you got overwhelmed, once you're behind such an 8 ball there is little you can effectively do.

Now having survived such an encounter it's a great teachable moment to look at what we all could do differently to avoid becoming placed in such a situation when doing such routine (normally uneventfully) tasks as stopping at the gas station.
    OD* and BenGoodLuck like this.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

Distinguished Member Array ericb327's Avatar
    Once he starts to drive away the fight is over, there is no longer a threat in any way, unless he is shooting at you as he leaves.

There is a chance of that in bold happening any time shots are fired. If that is a worry for you and will keep you from using your gun I think you need to rethink you carrying a gun. When you carry you take responsible for such things and if you can't deal with those things happening then your mindset is not right to carry.

No where has it ever been said "life is fair". Life happens and we live with it, how ever it happens. But for me living life in fear and afraid to do, is not living.

Just me and my thoughts.
    One might argue that your mindset is not right for carry if you are disregarding the safety of innocents if you are no longer in danger. If I am not interpreting your post correctly, please explain.
    suntzu and GeorgiaDawg like this.
    For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill. (Sun Tzu) The Art of War

https://www.facebook.com/ninja312

My food and product review blog
    http://trualitybarandgrille.wordpress.com/

There has to be a threat on your life or someone else life for you to use your gun to defend against. If there is not you are in the wrong a DA will be on your A** with no let up. And you will do time.

I'm saying anytime shots are fired there is a risk to the public as your round may go through the BG and hit someone else or you can miss. You have no control over the BG's rounds what so ever. There is therefore a risk to the carry and use of a gun each time it is fired. So I ask can you live with that responsible if something does happen you didn't plan on. Life is not fair and does not always go the way one plans, can you live with what happens if it all goes south. Which it can in a heart beat. If not then you need to work on your mindset before carrying a weapon. Because your thoughts will effect your use and when you need it most you will not use it correctly.

Sometimes life is our HELL on earth. Can you live with it?

Bill MO is right in his exp,if one of your rounds strikes and kills the threat,and the other travels downrange enters a home and kills Sally sleeping in her bed,or having ice cream with granny,well,your not going to be remembered for killing the threat.
    There has to be a threat on your life or someone else life for you to use your gun to defend against. If there is not you are in the wrong a DA will be on your A** with no let up. And you will do time.

I'm saying anytime shots are fired there is a risk to the public as your round may go through the BG and hit someone else or you can miss. You have no control over the BG's rounds what so ever. There is therefore a risk to the carry and use of a gun each time it is fired. So I ask can you live with that responsible if something does happen you didn't plan on. Life is not fair and does not always go the way one plans, can you live with what happens if it all goes south. Which it can in a heart beat. If not then you need to work on your mindset before carrying a weapon. Because your thoughts will effect your use and when you need it most you will not use it correctly.

Glad you're safe...Very teachable experience for all of us...Food for thought is the purpose of either hypothetical or REAL LIFE scenarios on this forum...Thanks for posting and by all means continue to talk about it, especially with a trained counselor if you have someone available.
    Guest1 likes this.
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

Have you ever shot out a tire? TV wrong again.
    Yes, I have. Not talking about a tire going 60 mph. Hardly moving. Not difficult. However, a better/safer choice would be to stab the side wall with a knife if you have one. (yes, I've done that also.)
    "Confidence is food for the wise man but liquor for the fool"

It appears we are talking about completely different situations.

I fully understand the risks if I ever needed to use my weapon. My point is this. Being as the guy was out of harms way by the time he would have had an opportunity to shoot (BG driving away) shooting IMO is completely unnecessary and as YOU point out likely opening yourself up to a DA's field day by you shooting a fleeing BG when your life is not in danger.

VIP Member
    The best part of your story is that you're alive to tell it. I'm glad you're ok!
    Ben

Cogito, ergo armatum sum. I think, therefore I am armed. (Don Mann, The Modern Day Gunslinger; the ultimate handgun training manual)

Distinguished Member Array ericb327's Avatar

I know & understand the mindset you speak of. However, there would have to be substantial threat from the BG doing immediate bodily harm to another if I were to engage him/her while fleeing.
    For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill. (Sun Tzu) The Art of War

https://www.facebook.com/ninja312

My food and product review blog
    http://trualitybarandgrille.wordpress.com/

I went through something kind of similar, though I was thrown in the trunk area of an SUV. Two guys, one had a handgun and the other played with what looked like piano wire. Every time I looked over the back seat, the handgun was pointed at me. In my situation, I was unarmed, but ended up having to fight while BG-2 was at the third ATM pulling out money.

One thing lead to another and the gun discharged during the struggle. It was an ugly scene, but I walked away alive.

This was in 1999 when I was 19 years old. Ever since, I've dedicated a lot of time to training. In my current line of work, shooting from a vehicle is something we practice quite often along with all other types of vehicle tactics. If I'm on my time and alone, I'd have no issue just giving up the car, though I can't say either way what I'd do for sure since these situations are so dynamic and each is very different. If I have my children in their car seats or I'm with a client, it may be a very different story, but again I can't say for sure. I think you did the best thing you could at the time.

For me, I've spent a lot of time training for a multitude of situations. It doesn't mean I'll do one thing or another, it just means that I'm more capable of fighting if it comes to that. Last year I needed to default to my training when there was an attempted home invasion and I was charged with a crowbar.

Sadly, many people that carry don't take their training any farther than the static range. I know I sound like a broken record, but I cannot stress enough the importance of advanced training. We can still make the decision to give up a vehicle or wallet and move on, but we're not always so lucky and occasionally the bad guy makes the decision for us whether we're fighting or not, as in both of my situations. Sometimes we can't just walk away.

I'm glad you made it out of there alive and it seems you made the right decision. Very often these pieces of trash have no clue how to handle a firearm and may have the hammer cocked back and their finger on the trigger, which is an accident waiting to happen.

As for the other stuff brought up like shooting the tires, or whatever other nonsense…… Seriously?
    Bill MO, Guest1, Bark'n and 5 others like this.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Links