I was car jacked at gunpoint - Page 6

I was car jacked at gunpoint

This is a discussion on I was car jacked at gunpoint within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Sid im glad it turned out ok. The goal is to get out alive, which you did. You can now judge for yourself the level ...

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast
Like Tree158Likes

Thread: I was car jacked at gunpoint

Sid im glad it turned out ok. The goal is to get out alive, which you did. You can now judge for yourself the level of preparedness you will need in the future.
    Guest1 and tcox4freedom like this.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

Shooting a TIRE out,ever seen how far a Vehicle can go on a flat?Why would you shoot out the Tire?The only sure way to stop a vehicle is dispatching the driver,unless you carry around a LAWW.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sig35seven View Post
    Yes, I have. Not talking about a tire going 60 mph. Hardly moving. Not difficult. However, a better/safer choice would be to stab the side wall with a knife if you have one. (yes, I've done that also.)
    sid1 likes this.

Dam, glad your ok and able to tell your story. You were able to go home to your family and thats all that counts.

Quote Originally Posted by glockrocker View Post
    Bill MO is right in his exp,if one of your rounds strikes and kills the threat,and the other travels downrange enters a home and kills Sally sleeping in her bed,or having ice cream with granny,well,your not going to be remembered for killing the threat.
    That is always the case. There is a price tag attached to each bullet.

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    1. Parking away from the entrance may keep you from being carjacked but it limits your cover and ability to flee when you meet the BG face to face at the doorway.

2. OP I'm guessing this is the first time you've been in such a situation. I'd like you to break down the incident for us second by second. When you saw the BG coming out of the store, did it occur to you to drop the tranny into gear and flee the situation, or ready your sidearm for action, or were you stuck in "observe" mode? Sounds like the BG got inside your OODA loop.
    sid1 likes this.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Quote Originally Posted by Brad426 View Post
    Well, I know for a FACT that I woulda snatched the guy's heart out of his chest with my bare hands like the bad guy in "Temple of Doom".
    Of course you could always do what the Asian assassin in one of the Lethal Weapon movies did to the Mel Gibson's character's gun. One lightning fast move and you've got the car jacker's gun slide off his gun and he's left asking, "how did he do that? How DID he do that?"
    Dan,

CZ82 nut

Distinguished Member Array ericb327's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by paramedic70002 View Post
    1. Parking away from the entrance may keep you from being carjacked but it limits your cover and ability to flee when you meet the BG face to face at the doorway.

2. OP I'm guessing this is the first time you've been in such a situation. I'd like you to break down the incident for us second by second. When you saw the BG coming out of the store, did it occur to you to drop the tranny into gear and flee the situation, or ready your sidearm for action, or were you stuck in "observe" mode? Sounds like the BG got inside your OODA loop.
    I think its safe to say it happened much faster than he could have reacted. The phrase "You Got Me" comes to mind. Besides, the OP still has another 24 hours before he has to go into detail.
    sid1 likes this.
    For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill. (Sun Tzu) The Art of War

https://www.facebook.com/ninja312

My food and product review blog
    http://trualitybarandgrille.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by FireCop View Post
    Glad you made it out of the situation unscathed (for the most part). I fully understand the need to speak with a therapist after an incident of that nature. I can see where having a gun placed to your temple would send your psyche into a tail spin! It is unfortunate that we have to live amongst scumbags that would even consider doing something like that. That is the sector of society that justifies CCW. I hope you can put the psychological trauma of this event behind you and return to a more peaceful state of mind. You are definitely doing the right thing in explaining your experience here, as well as seeking advice from a professional.
    I can see it now, the OP will start dressing in black, and start going down into the worse parts of town, just waiting for someone to give him an excuse to draw on them and shoot. He'll get a reputation and be knnown as the dark avenger! Soon half the people in town will start cheering him and the other half will demand the police catch him and put him away!

JUst kidding, I think you did amazing. I actually often wonder if I might overreact in such a situation, I worry that in this type of scenario I would let anger overcome my judgment and I'd be tempted to take a shot at the fleeing suspect. I really need to train myself to look for what behind the suspect. There is such a high risk of injuring a bystander when your amped up at shooting at a moving target.

Distinguished Member Array sid1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by glockrocker View Post
    It's easy for people to quarter back from the safety of their computer,I am glad you are safe,pray that you recover fully.NOW!,how about a vehicle class,find a credible instructor in your area,learn the ins and out s of vehicle defense,may not be as simple as a CJ next time.
    Yes sir and have been looking, a friend sent me this video of an option I could have taken? Krav Maga Self Defense Techniques : Carjacking Defense Moves with Krav Maga - YouTube I would never know if I would have been clear minded and thought of doing this with out practicing this on some type of training? Maybe others here can give advise on this?

Distinguished Member Array sid1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by paramedic70002 View Post

I will later this evening when I have more time away from work. Yes as others had said it was a time issue and my position of my truck myself and the front door.

Senior Member Array GeorgiaDawg's Avatar
    I'm really glad you made it out of that situation safely. A friend of my wife's was murdered in Alaska by a guy going on a killing spree a few years ago. The friend was shot in his car as he was warming it up in the morning. The shot was louder than the BG thought it would be and caused him to take off on foot (it was still dark) rather than take the car he was after and risk people following the stolen car.

It could have been a lot worse, but I'm glad you had enough sense not to risk your life when he already had the jump on you.
    "For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast." - Ephesians 2:8-9

“The purpose of the law is not to prevent a future offense, but to punish the one actually committed” - Ayn Rand

That training video is all find and dandy but if that gun was at your head then it would be a bit harder to pull off. What if he was standing another step back and you couldn't reach? In order to pull that move off like he did in the video, it would have to be perfectly set up like it was in the video, including no one or nothing in front of the vehicle. Just too many "what ifs." The other thing is, even if you practiced that over and over, all it would take is one miss on your part and you wouldn't have been able to post this topic if you would have made that move. Once this happens and he's got you at a disadvantage like in your original post, if he hasn't shot you by then, chances are that he's not going to and he just wants the vehicle. Not 100% but still very likely. I'm sure that throughout the entire process you were weighing your odds and actions and you chose to live and not be a hero. Let him have have the chunk of metal and live to see another day. I believe that in your specific situation, the actions that you took gave you better odds of coming out alive and, well look.....here you are.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

The thing with videos is they are set up "not to Fail" there is alway's the what if,what if your window is up,what if he is back another foot........,just get some good training.Harryball is up your way P.M. him and get with him,might get the hook-up on an instructor.
    Quote Originally Posted by sid1 View Post
    Yes sir and have been looking, a friend sent me this video of an option I could have taken? Krav Maga Self Defense Techniques : Carjacking Defense Moves with Krav Maga - YouTube I would never know if I would have been clear minded and thought of doing this with out practicing this on some type of training? Maybe others here can give advise on this?

Sid1, WOW!! First & foremost ... glad you're OK. You may seem fine today, but I bet your mind will be racing 120 mph tonight when it hits the pillow, sleep may be scarce tonight.

I would like to ask you to describe the rest of the story with the same level of detail as you did the first part. What I mean is you left us with the gun at your temple & you sitting in the truck. Now we all now the big picture that it ended with you out of the truck, the BG gone with your truck, but in detail, what was the process to this end result? How many BGs (sounds like 1), how long for the LEO to arrive, what was the exchange of you getting out & him getting in? etc. With your window down & the gun to your head, at some point during the process of opening the door, he had to pull his arm back out of the window to get in the truck once you exited. Once you unbuckled your belt with your right hand in that area of the gun, the door opening, & him stepping back (don't know, just visualizing & assuming), could slow movement & delay tactics, telling him to hold on because you have a bad leg, making up anythg to buy even a few seconds to gather thoughts have helped in any way? I'm sure it was just a flash, over in seconds.

These questions are why I'm asking for a detailed descripion of events of part 2 of the story if you can.

Thanks,

KB
    Asked by a CNN reporter "What do you feel when you shoot a terrorist"?, the Marine sniper simply shrugged & replied "recoil".

Now more than ever, we are at war on our home soil ... WAKE UP & arm our troops when they are on home soil!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sid1 View Post
    I practice stuff like that. It is easy when your life isn't actually on the line. It is a remarkably dangerous move.
    It is way too easy for the BG to get the gun back into line. I'm not saying there aren't times to try it; like when
    you are sure your are going to be dead if you don't do something, but all things considered, I think the OP did just
    great and took the only smart route he had available to him.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Links