I was car jacked at gunpoint

This is a discussion on I was car jacked at gunpoint within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by sid1 I will later this evening when I have more time away from work. Yes as others had said it was a ...

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast
Like Tree158Likes

Thread: I was car jacked at gunpoint

Quote Originally Posted by sid1 View Post
    I will later this evening when I have more time away from work. Yes as others had said it was a time issue and my position of my truck myself and the front door.
    Do what you want but don't fall into this trap. For a long time you will second guess everything that happened and how if you did something different the BG would not have gotten into your head. The only thing I see you did wrong was you were in the wrong place at the wrong time and when someone can bottle the potion that keeps you from doing that I will buy some. If you have to find a victims support group and talk it out and you will find you are not the only one
    ericb327 and oneshot like this.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Chad Rogers View Post
    I can't wait to hear from the guys who would have done blah, blah, blah if it had only been them.

If only you had been open carrying. Then you would have had the force field around you...
    OK, I've had a chance to analyze this, I'll bend to your wishes and arm chair quarter back it! Wait no longer!

What would have been going thru my mind? Hopefully not a bullet followed by...

Running into the store men's room to wipe up and flush my soiled former whitey tighties down the commode.

That's probably the only thing different I might have done.

Sincerely glad it didn't escalate into something more than property and you're safe to tell the tale. Not everyone is capable of keeping their cool under extreme duress.

Thanks for sharing. It gives us all something to ponder and learn from.
    I think, therefore I am...

<the Menace>

Well,All I can say is if it had been me,I would have Blah,Blah,Blahed,sorry C.R. had to do it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chad Rogers View Post
    I can't wait to hear from the guys who would have done blah, blah, blah if it had only been them.

If only you had been open carrying. Then you would have had the force field around you...

You miss this action?

Quote Originally Posted by gigamortis View Post
    I am one that doesn't give up that easy. As the dirtbag got in the driver's seat with his attention off of me and on getting away with the truck, I probably would have been in the blind spot behind the B-pillar waiting with my gun drawn waiting for him to back up into view of my muzzle. Chances are, he'd be looking over his right shoulder to back up, and I'd have the jump on him from his blind left side through the driver's window. I wouldn't care how many of my truck's windows I would have to shoot out to retire a criminal that threatened my life. Who knows how many other lives he could have endangered while in getaway mode.

Glad you're OK. Stuff goes down quick, and we can't all be Jason Bourne.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill MO View Post
    Once he starts to drive away the fight is over, there is no longer a threat in any way, unless he is shooting at you as he leaves.

There is a chance of that in bold happening any time shots are fired. If that is a worry for you and will keep you from using your gun I think you need to rethink you carrying a gun. When you carry you take responsible for such things and if you can't deal with those things happening then your mindset is not right to carry.
    Well, first of all, the threat to my life is a moot point. Lets look at

(B) unlawfully and with force removed, or was
    attempting to remove unlawfully and with force, the actor from the
    actor's habitation, vehicle, or place of business or employment; or
    Notice the term "removed" in past tense. And if that wasn't enough, here's the law on personal property:
    Sec. 9.42. DEADLY FORCE TO PROTECT PROPERTY. A person is justified in using deadly force against another to protect land or tangible, movable property:
    (1) if he would be justified in using force against the other under Section 9.41; and
    (2) when and to the degree he reasonably believes the deadly force is immediately necessary:
    (A) to prevent the other's imminent commission of arson, burglary, robbery, aggravated robbery, theft during the nighttime, or criminal mischief during the nighttime; or
    (B) to prevent the other who is fleeing immediately after committing burglary, robbery, aggravated robbery, or theft during the nighttime from escaping with the property; and
    (3) he reasonably believes that:
    (A) the land or property cannot be protected or recovered by any other means; or
    (B) the use of force other than deadly force to protect or recover the land or property would expose the actor or another to a substantial risk of death or serious bodily injury.
    Which means I'd be perfectly justified in blowing the guy's brain out while he was trying to drive off, as I suggested in my earlier post. EVEN if the threat no longer existed.

However, I could also argue the case the the threat is not over. You don't know if he plans to shoot you as he drives off. You don't know if he plans to commit other crimes and kill other people once he has your vehicle. He might even shoot at police who are trying to apprehend him. I say if the opportunity exists for a clear, clean headshot while he is driving off.. I would take the shot. If I wasn't sure I could make the shot for whatever reason, then I'd let him go rather than risk him returning fire.
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

Sorry I'm late to the party. I'm glad things turned out well. No doubt a scary situation. I hate it when people point guns at me.

Drawing against the drop is one thing, but trying it from a sitting position with a seat belt on is a losing proposition. I think you did the correct thing in this situation.

I think any resistance and he probably would have shot you. Since he just robbed the place, all he wanted was out of there... and fast. Your truck was running and it was a crime of opportunity for him to jack you.

Glad you got your truck back. I hope they catch him soon.
    sgb, Hopyard, sid1 and 2 others like this.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

glad you ok man

Quote Originally Posted by sid1 View Post
    Yes sir and have been looking, a friend sent me this video of an option I could have taken? Krav Maga Self Defense Techniques : Carjacking Defense Moves with Krav Maga - YouTube I would never know if I would have been clear minded and thought of doing this with out practicing this on some type of training? Maybe others here can give advise on this?
    The video makes the assumption that the driver's side window is open and the BG sticks his gun hand inside the window. I'm one who rarely has the window open unless I'm at a drive in bank doing a transaction. I know a car jacking could happen there as well but as bored as I am sitting there waiting for the air tube to return my deposit slip, and/or cash, I'm pretty much always looking around and would hope to see anyone approaching.

I won't even begin to second guess what I'd do if I were in the OP's shoes in his situation.
    Dan,

CZ82 nut

Quote Originally Posted by adric22 View Post
    Well, first of all, the threat to my life is a moot point. Lets look at

Notice the term "removed" in past tense. And if that wasn't enough, here's the law on personal property:

Which means I'd be perfectly justified in blowing the guy's brain out while he was trying to drive off, as I suggested in my earlier post. EVEN if the threat no longer existed.

However, I could also argue the case the the threat is not over. You don't know if he plans to shoot you as he drives off. You don't know if he plans to commit other crimes and kill other people once he has your vehicle. He might even shoot at police who are trying to apprehend him. I say if the opportunity exists for a clear, clean headshot while he is driving off.. I would take the shot. If I wasn't sure I could make the shot for whatever reason, then I'd let him go rather than risk him returning fire.
    Sec. 9.42. DEADLY FORCE TO PROTECT PROPERTY. A person is justified in using deadly force against another to protect land or tangible, movable property:
    (1) if he would be justified in using force against the other under Section 9.41; and
    (2) when and to the degree he reasonably believes the deadly force is immediately necessary:
    (A) to prevent the other's imminent commission of arson, burglary, robbery, aggravated robbery, theft during the nighttime, or criminal mischief during the nighttime; or
    (B) to prevent the other who is fleeing immediately after committing burglary, robbery, aggravated robbery, or theft during the nighttime from escaping with the property; and
    (3) he reasonably believes that:
    (A) the land or property cannot be protected or recovered by any other means; or
    (B) the use of force other than deadly force to protect or recover the land or property would expose the actor or another to a substantial risk of death or serious bodily injury.
    The OPs event happened in the morning. So if you were doing the same, you would NOT be justified in blowing his head off.....
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NH_Esau View Post
    Glad you're OK. Stuff goes down quick, and we can't all be Jason Bourne.
    Ah, but we can all be Jason Bourne in our DC posts.
    Bark'n, darbo, ericb327 and 1 others like this.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Quote Originally Posted by Harryball View Post
    The OPs event happened in the morning. So if you were doing the same, you would NOT be justified in blowing his head off.....
    I think you are mis-reading the law. The way I read it, you are able to use deadly force in retrieving property from someone who is fleeing after committing
    • burglary
    • robbery
    • aggravated robbery, OR
    • theft during the nighttime

The way you are reading it suggests that the person must be doing these things at night time for it to count. it does not. And this law has been tested in court a few times already.
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

Glad things worked out and noone was hurt. I can only imagine what I would have done in the moment.

I'm glad you are ok. And as a bonus got your truck back.

Distinguished Member Array ericb327's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    Ah, but we can all be Jason Bourne in our DC posts.
    Now that's funny!
    For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill. (Sun Tzu) The Art of War

https://www.facebook.com/ninja312

My food and product review blog
    http://trualitybarandgrille.wordpress.com/

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast

Links