I was car jacked at gunpoint

This is a discussion on I was car jacked at gunpoint within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Illusive Man A gun is not our most important weapon; it is our brain. The ability to analyze the situation and decide ...

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast
Like Tree158Likes

Thread: I was car jacked at gunpoint

Distinguished Member Array TSiWRX's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Illusive Man View Post
    A gun is not our most important weapon; it is our brain. The ability to analyze the situation and decide the best course of action to take. The gun is merely a tool to employ once our brains have decided that it is the prudent course of action. Even with a gun, the OP made the decision to ride it out and for that he is alive to tell his story.
    ^ I agree wholeheartedly.

sid1, you did right. I'm glad you got your truck back , and hope that the perp gets what he deserves.

We can all what-if as much as we want to, but you did right by getting yourself home today.

I would have gladly done exactly what you had, and be most thankful that I lived to tell the tale. I carry, ostensibly, to be able to defend myself and my loved ones against those who think that what I've given them is not enough - like in the Antioch incident below - but starting behind the muzzle (and I can see myself in your shoes, how quickly the situation would have erupted, had it been at my favorite local gas station...I also would not have had time to evade or otherwise defend), I honestly see no choice. Given there's not blood on the walls/windows/door of the station, if he hadn't shot me already at that point, I would agree with Bark'n's assessment that all this criminal wanted was to be the heck away from the scene. I see no reason not to have surrendered the car.

I would be thankful to God that my kid wasn't in the car (my wife commutes separately, I'm the usual driver for our daughter).

I would be thankful that the guy didn't just pull the trigger: Antioch driveway mugging captured on video - San Jose Mercury News .

I also think that you did right by not trying to stop him after you got out of your vehicle: there's too many "what ifs" there to count, and a lot would carry the implications of potentially hurting innocents, as several fellow DC.com members have proposed.

You did good. I wish that had I been in your shoes, I would be able to retain enough clarity to see myself through the situation as you did.
    sid1 and Hopyard like this.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by jdsumner View Post
    For all those espousing shooting the fleeing felon as he drives off, even IF legal, have you considered those whom he might drive over once his brains are all over the dash and the vehicle is no longer under anyone's control? Or, that the vehicle may plow into into a major road way under speed, now that the deceased jakker is brain dead and his right foot is now stabbed to the floorboard?

Just curious. A family friend suffered a stroke or similar attack coming home from work, as he slowed for a very sharp turn. The turn is rated 25mph, and as he came out of it and had his siezure, he stabbed his accelerator and it was estimated he hit the power pole at 60+ mph.

So unless others were in the vehicle w the op, brainpoppin' the thug sounds to me like endagering more people than your gonna save just lettin' him skate.

ymmv.

dan
    I hear ya, my truck has full coverage and I have a big old homeowner’s policy that takes over and the rest can stand in line for there’s. Chances are you are not going to make a brain omelet on your dash board but you might get enough of him that he needs help and needs to give up. The poster got lucky; he got his truck back. How many others get robbed and never get anything back and on top of that have to pay a deductible if they have one or just lose out altogether.

Robbery doesn't just take your things, it takes your sense of manhood and robs you of your ability to relax and be at peace
    sid1 likes this.

Senior Member Array jblives2ride's Avatar
    Glad your ok
    sid1 likes this.
    I would rather live my life as if there is a God,
    And die to find out there isn't, than live my life
    As if there isn't, and die to find out there is.
    God Bless

VIP Member
    And I was annoyed because a beggar approached me yesterday... Sid1, glad you are alive today.

I don't understand the discussion about shooting when he drove away with the car. I guess I carry to defend my life and get out of sticky situations. Seems like re-engaging would just be a reckless thing to do.

Hopefully they catch the guy.

Rest well.
    sid1 likes this.

I don't understand... how could you let him get away..?
    This is DC!
    We carry guns!
    We aren't afraid to use them!
    "US" would have used our extreme level of daily training to take out one of "Them."
    The least you could have done was stick your index finger in the barrel of his gun... Then if he'd a pulled the trigger, it woulda blown up on him... I know this 'cause I saw it in a Yosemite Sam cartoon once!

NO.

Sid1, you did it 100% right, you're here to tell the story... you even got your truck back... And probably, if you had to give a description of the perp to the police sketch artist it would've looked something like one of these:

sketch.jpg sketch2.jpg

You did fine... sometimes, for all our preparedness, there are situations we cannot overcome, with or without our guns... Especially when it comes to property... Sure, if it's certain death, most of us will go out fighting... but for property? Nah.

Besides, you got it back... And, you got a story that will live forever, you have reason to train a bit more...practice a bit more, buy a new gun if you want... and enjoy a steak dinner or six...
    sid1 and Chad Rogers like this.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Has it occurred to anyone else that the BG had a horrible getaway plan, which is to say he did NOT HAVE a plan. He ran out, the OP was there, he took the vehicle by force.

OP I think you are being very generous saying it took 3-4 seconds for the BG to travel that distance. Looks like this was a classic example of "screwed by fate." Even Chuck Norris might have been caught short.
    sid1 likes this.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Wow ,who knew post and attitudes would "jump Threads",this is comical and sad.
    sid1 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by glockrocker View Post
    Wow ,who knew post and attitudes would "jump Threads",this is comical and sad.
    Pleased to meet you, Pot.

Kettle

It is to throw some jocularity into the subject at hand....
    sid1 likes this.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Things I have learned from this thread and a change in how I do things.
    First) never park in front of a store, park off at an angle so if you do get jacked the perp has to back up in order to advance.
    Two) my gun is now uncovered when I am sitting in my truck so the removing the seat belt and grabbing the gun is one motion without my shirt getting in the way.
    three) if I get jacked try and shut the truck off and throw the keys on the floor board or hand them to the perp giving me time to move back so his gun hand has to cross over his body as they sit in the truck forcing them to shoot over their shoulder to get me which will give me an advantage to shoot him as he advances out the lot.

Did I miss anything?

Quote Originally Posted by barstoolguru View Post
    Things I have learned from this thread and a change in how I do things.
    First) never park in front of a store, park off at an angle so if you do get jacked the perp has to back up in order to advance.
    Two) my gun is now uncovered when I am sitting in my truck so the removing the seat belt and grabbing the gun is one motion without my shirt getting in the way.
    three) if I get jacked try and shut the truck off and throw the keys on the floor board or hand them to the perp giving me time to move back so his gun hand has to cross over his body as they sit in the truck forcing them to shoot over their shoulder to get me which will give me an advantage to shoot him as he advances out the lot.

Did I miss anything?
    yeah... what if it's a warm day but not hot enough for the AC as you are sitting in your truck, windows open. Parked, angle in to the entrance of the convenience store. And the robber ambles out looking for all the world like he's getting into the car next to you on the right.... but instead, he draws, and points his weapon at your head?

You now have to pick up the gun with your right hand (this assumes you are right handed, of course), sweep it from pointing left to pointing right all before he gets off a shot... That's if it's completely uncovered and laying in your lap... if it's still holstered... you have to draw, swing, and point it to the right... from seated...

You cannot let every actual scenario that ever really happened be the basis for a new method of preparedness... there simply is NO WAY to cover all the bases all the time... You come up with a notion... I can come up with a way it will not work...
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Glad you made it home. You made the right call.

Quote Originally Posted by oakchas View Post
    yeah... what if it's a warm day but not hot enough for the AC as you are sitting in your truck, windows open. Parked, angle in to the entrance of the convenience store. And the robber ambles out looking for all the world like he's getting into the car next to you on the right.... but instead, he draws, and points his weapon at your head?

You now have to pick up the gun with your right hand (this assumes you are right handed, of course), sweep it from pointing left to pointing right all before he gets off a shot... That's if it's completely uncovered and laying in your lap... if it's still holstered... you have to draw, swing, and point it to the right... from seated...

You cannot let every actual scenario that ever really happened be the basis for a new method of preparedness... there simply is NO WAY to cover all the bases all the time... You come up with a notion... I can come up with a way it will not work...
    My thoughts are based on the situation he was in and how I changed the way I think. And you are right you can’t be ready for everything but you have to be ready for something. I am a truck driver so as a general rule we don't have the windows down because of dust, trash and noise so we can assume that the windows are up.
    as far as him or anyone jumping in my doors are always locked (live in the city and auto locks) so that’s not happening so now as far as parking in front of the door I don't for reasons that it's too easy for someone to hit the mirrors or scratch the truck so that’s not happening. I can't be ready for every situation but I can try by looking around before I jump out.
    Ask him how his life changed and he will tell you. When you are a victim of crime you look at things different; nothing ever looks the same again

Quote Originally Posted by barstoolguru View Post
    When you are a victim of crime you look at things different; nothing ever looks the same again
    I have been a victim of crime, and I have been stalked... Yes, I do look at life a bit differently than I did... but I still do not prepare for any and every possible nuance of crime or its possible effect on me... or how I would react to it...
    Life is too short... carry on....

You did ask if you had missed anything... you missed every other possibility... take into account Murphy's law... For me, murphy is out there... but he also works against the BGs... preparedness might make one a slightly lesser target for murphy... but then I hear he likes a real chalenge...
    boatman likes this.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Distinguished Member Array Bill MO's Avatar
    I have been a victim of crime, and I have been stalked... Yes, I do look at life a bit differently than I did... but I still do not prepare for any and every possible nuance of crime or its possible effect on me... or how I would react to it...
    Life is too short... carry on....

You did ask if you had missed anything... you missed every other possibility... take into account Murphy's law... For me, murphy is out there... but he also works against the BGs... preparedness might make one a slightly lesser target for murphy... but then I hear he likes a real chalenge...
    Your post on murphy is why I try to look at gun related situations with this philosophy "Situations dictate strategies, strategies dictate tactics, and tactics dictate techniques". Because anytime you find yourself in a gunfight the fight will be what the fight will be. So keep your head in the game.
    Bark'n, barstoolguru and sid1 like this.
    It's gotta be who you are, not a hobby. reinman45

"Is this persons bad behavior worth me having to kill them over?" Guantes

Senior Member Array Chad Rogers's Avatar
    "US" would have used our extreme level of daily training to take out one of "Them."
    Now that's priceless. :-)
    "People who take an Internet handle of a great warrior, are usually the first to go fetal when crunch time comes." - Me

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast

Links