Whataburger at 2am : Carry Always.

This is a discussion on Whataburger at 2am : Carry Always. within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; carry a gun always. and certainly at 2am. no matter what the location. I got panhandled once INSIDE a McDonald's in downtown Eerie PA as ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: Whataburger at 2am : Carry Always.

carry a gun always. and certainly at 2am. no matter what the location.

I got panhandled once INSIDE a McDonald's in downtown Eerie PA as I was about to order. Right in front of the manager. He said he'd given up trying to do anything about it.

2. Remove Ads

You need to roll that window down. If you have ever fired a shot in a vehicle you know what I mean. It gets load and you don't hear very well.
    Semper Fi
    "Marines don't surrender-they win or die." from Brute

Well if I were in that situation I probably would have rolled the window down because I am friendly to strangers that look like they may be asking for directions or need some help (if I am in my home area). However if there was anything amiss that set off my alarms such as they way he dressed (no hoodies or low slung pants) or if he could have a weapon I would likely keep the window closed or maybe crack it slightly but when I am at a drive thru (rare) I always pull close to the window. I almost always go inside. A stranger that approaches me that is obviously looking for a handout gets treated just like a panhandler or beggar, but that one seems like a stupid one to let you see his expensive ride.
    Yoda, I am, yes.

This shows why I don't carry much. Because I never go anywhere! Especially at 2:00 AM. I haven't been awake at 2:00 in -- I don't know when.

I absolutely hate drive thru's and I will not use them. I'll give a whole list of reasons I hate them:
    • I hate talking to people through an intercom. Especially with all of the foreiners we have working these days it just makes it that much more difficult to communicate.
    • They always get the order wrong. (see reason above) and you're going to be miles away before you figure it out.
    • It usually takes longer to get your food than if you just walk inside. Especially if the person in front of you placed a large, complex order.
    • You are trapped in line most of the time. You can't just leave whenever you want to.
    • It wastes gas (or in my case, electricity if I'm running the A/C or heater)
    • It is the ultimate example of American laziness.

The only time I used drive-thru was when my daughter was a baby and I didn't want to have to take her out of her car-seat and bring her inside.
    Now. Having said that. I'm not sure which concept is safer, using the drive-thru or going inside. If you go inside there is equal possibility you could be there while a robbery attempt is made. but at least you aren't stuck someplace where you can't move. Since most restaurants are made of glass, if you are inside you can typically see everything going on outside. If you saw some masked gunman walking towards the place, you would have time to do something. In the drive-thru you can't see much except what is going on on that side of the building.
    GeorgiaDawg likes this.
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

A long story and I will not repeat it here, but I once saved my butt by having my window down only 6" or so.

In the days before electric windows. I rolled it up so fast I caught the guy by his elbow and trotted him up a steep hill.

Never roll it down all the way to talk to a stranger.

VIP Member
    Aside from the advice re window, I would tend to stay away from places late at night. All types of critters come out.

I've recently changed gas stations that I frequent when going to work. Reason: I was approached by bums at the convenient one I used to go to. One was very belligerent. I'm not going to go to any place that my spidey senses get a hit...

Whataburgers are overrated. Do not use the drive thu, it puts you at a tactical disadvantage right away. Nothing good happens at 2 am.

at 2 in the morning I usually goto the Wataburger on conway and 495 usually about 6 units there doing paper work (Great night ride out that way on the bike) or if im hungry the one down the street usually has 3 state troopers parked waiting.
    When life gives you lemons, Open a lemonaid buisness.

Senior Member Array GeorgiaDawg's Avatar
    A lot of fast food restaurants close down after 10 or 11 anyway and only keep the drive thru open later, so that makes it difficult if you fancy a meal or snack after that time.

If you can, as others have said, try to put some distance between you and the car in front of you. You can also try stalling for a minute or two before making your order to give the car(s) in front of you time to get their food and drive off, if the establishment you are patronizing has a drive thru lane that you can't get out of in an emergency.

I enjoy Whataburger but don't have any in Colorado. I always make sure I get one when I vacation in Florida, though.
    "For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast." - Ephesians 2:8-9

“The purpose of the law is not to prevent a future offense, but to punish the one actually committed” - Ayn Rand

The best way I find to annoy our local beggars is to beat them to the punch, I ask them for a cigarette and so far every one of them has walked away without saying a word.

Oh, forgot to mention that I don't smoke.
    GeorgiaDawg likes this.
    "Those without swords can still die upon them."

Keep your window cracked and don't make eye contact. Turn your radio up very loud. Be ready to fight or flight, whichever you can do.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Quote Originally Posted by Caertaker View Post
    I do this myself but believe or not I had one do exactly that. It was when I was in college and living down in Detroit. We never had any food in the house so I'd graze where ever I could. I had started going to this KFC near my house after morning class somedays. It was in the hood but usually empty when I'd get there because they'd just opened. The women who worked there seemed pretty cool and quickly got to know me because well, I stuck out like a sore thumb in that neighborhood. They used to have spicy chicken. It wasn't on the menu and I always suspected they used yesteday's leftover chicken but dang was it tasty. Anyway I pull up to place my order and this scrawny disheveled guy comes out of nowhere, approaches the car asking for money. His timing was a bit off and I had finished my order so I quickly zipped around the corner and pulled up to the window as close as I could get. Sure enough he follows and somehow gets between my car and the window asking for money. I had already paid so he wasn't going to be able to snatch it when paid the woman. Well you didn't actually pay the woman. They had a security set-up like a party store with a three sized box.. They rotate the box so the open side is near you, you put your money in a cup and they rotate the box so the open side is near them. The real reason why I remember this incident after so many years is that the guy had a long think string of snot hanging out of is nose and down across his mouth. I always assumed he was high on heroin to run around like that but I guess he could have been sniffing glue. That put an end to my spicy chicken. I never went back.
    WHAT?!? You stopped eating spicy chicken?
    "You cannot invade the mainland United States.
    There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
    - Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto

Sig P238/Sig 1911 Ultra/Beretta PX4 Storm/Kimber Ultra Carry II

Quote Originally Posted by ppkheat View Post
    Typically most folks scrunch up their vehicles too close in the drive thru lane. But it's always best to leave enough room so you can break the line and leave. Granted it would be hard for me to leave and abandon a Whataburger and strawberry shake order.
    Dude! A hamburger and a shake? Near impossible to walk away from!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links