Whataburger at 2am : Carry Always.

This is a discussion on Whataburger at 2am : Carry Always. within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Little story, hope it's not too boring. There were no shots fired, but leather was cleared. Was soberly going for a burger at 2am earlier ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: Whataburger at 2am : Carry Always.

Little story, hope it's not too boring. There were no shots fired, but leather was cleared.

Was soberly going for a burger at 2am earlier this week...I'm a musician, I work odd hours. The fast food joint drive-through is one lane with no exits and my G26 was riding in the center console. So....this pretty nice F250 truck pulls up in the church parking lot adjoining the Whataburger drive-through area. (Whataburger is a TX fast food place that makes a pretty awesome sandwich...fyi) The driver, a 20-something white male gets out, leaves it running, and I can see there is a person in the passenger seat.

I'm stuck in a line of cars, I watch him egress and walk toward my car, and come around to my window. During this time, I calmly pull out the glock and hold it beside my right leg so it remains concealed. I roll the window down.

The dude starts begging for gas money to get back to Dallas! His big ass truck is still running the whole time. lol. I declined and laughed to myself that this guy's scam is about as stupid as it gets. He asked all the other cars, received nothing, and then drove off. Sorry friends, I don't even give money to homeless people, let alone (deleted expletive) driving better vehicles than myself.

I mentioned it to the drive thru woman who said it happens all the time, but the destination they claim they are headed to changes every few nights.

So my little lesson was, had I left the piece at home, I would have been kicking myself for allowing myself to be put in that situation. Carry always friends, remain vigilant, maintain situational awareness, be safe.

Thanks for reading

VIP Member
    Why did you wind down the window?
    I havenít heard any of the journalists who volunteered to be waterboarded asking to have their fingernails wrenched out with pliers, or electrodes attached to their genitals.

There is one thing I thought of when I read your post: how far did you roll down your window? Here's my thought process... random dude walks up to your car while being trapped between the car in front and behind - so nowhere to go, really. If you don't/didn't roll down your window, random dude might get annoyed or aggravated and cause a bigger scene, potentially escalating the situation. On the other hand, if you roll down your window all the way, even with your pistol at your side and at the ready, he most likely will have the upper hand because he is not confined by the interior of the car (steering wheel, limited turning capabilities, etc). If you roll the window half-way down or anywhere in between completely up or down, if bullets start flying the shrapnel from the glass could pose a greater threat (though bullets flying would be my main concern). Sorry for rambling... I guess something I can suggest is leaving enough space between yourself and the vehicle in front of you to be able to quickly egress if the proverbial stuff hits the fan. This can also be done at stop lights, too. Just a thought. I'm glad nothing more came from it and you're safe and sound.
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

(J.R.R.Tolkien [Faramir], The Two Towers

Nothing new in Tx I been approached pumping gas,walking out of Walmart,people begging on every highway off ramp,I carry always,but in 6 years only time I've unholstered and held my 1911 under my leg was when the guy driving decided to stop at a convenience store in the GHETTO and ask for directions,I felt like chum in a shark tank and my vision got blurry I was checking my 360 so often.
    When he came back I asked one ? ARE U OUTTA UR .......MIND
    Rhcmlc and Spade115 like this.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I would have smacked him with the beer bottle I usually have at 2am

All of the Whataburgers in this area have 2 to 3 uniformed (but off duty) officers pulling security overnight. It's a pretty sweet deal for the deputy constables usually.
    Spade115 likes this.

I usually pull as close to the drive-thru wall as I can get without scraping my mirror, so unless he wants to squeeze into the 10" space next to my car, he'll have to talk the the guy in front or back of me.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Quote Originally Posted by Hiram25 View Post
    I usually pull as close to the drive-thru wall as I can get without scraping my mirror, so unless he wants to squeeze into the 10" space next to my car, he'll have to talk the the guy in front or back of me.
    I do the same at ATM's after doing a recon of the area before pulling up to the machine.
    tcox4freedom likes this.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Quote Originally Posted by Hiram25 View Post
    I do this myself but believe or not I had one do exactly that. It was when I was in college and living down in Detroit. We never had any food in the house so I'd graze where ever I could. I had started going to this KFC near my house after morning class somedays. It was in the hood but usually empty when I'd get there because they'd just opened. The women who worked there seemed pretty cool and quickly got to know me because well, I stuck out like a sore thumb in that neighborhood. They used to have spicy chicken. It wasn't on the menu and I always suspected they used yesteday's leftover chicken but dang was it tasty. Anyway I pull up to place my order and this scrawny disheveled guy comes out of nowhere, approaches the car asking for money. His timing was a bit off and I had finished my order so I quickly zipped around the corner and pulled up to the window as close as I could get. Sure enough he follows and somehow gets between my car and the window asking for money. I had already paid so he wasn't going to be able to snatch it when paid the woman. Well you didn't actually pay the woman. They had a security set-up like a party store with a three sized box.. They rotate the box so the open side is near you, you put your money in a cup and they rotate the box so the open side is near them. The real reason why I remember this incident after so many years is that the guy had a long think string of snot hanging out of is nose and down across his mouth. I always assumed he was high on heroin to run around like that but I guess he could have been sniffing glue. That put an end to my spicy chicken. I never went back.

Distinguished Member Array ericb327's Avatar
    I have engaged street people before they get too close.

A simple no thanks before they can say anything works fine. Specialy while on foot.
    For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill. (Sun Tzu) The Art of War

https://www.facebook.com/ninja312

My food and product review blog
    http://trualitybarandgrille.wordpress.com/

VIP Member
    Cattle prods tend to discourage beggars!

Seriously though, if you saw him walking your way, you had time to roll up your window. Sitting there with your window up and shaking your head no should be all the discouragement he needed.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Id'a lit into 'im. In my best Houston drawl...

What the billy hell you mean "you need some gas money?"

You drivin' that there 4X4 veee-hicle pickem up truck, leave it runnin'...
    Why I can hear it suckin' gas clear over here...
    And you got the sand to tryan tell me you need gas money....

What the hell, boah.... you thinkin' I fell off the turnip truck last night, er what?

Now git yerself back to that truck and skeedaddle on outa here...

and don't mess with none of the other folks in this here line...
    Or I will get outta my little rice grinder and kick your redneck-
    4X4 drivin-
    gas sucking-
    money grubbin-
    but allaway to the po leece station... are we clear, son?

Go away now, you bother me, boy!

And I probably would have, too, what with the G26 ridin my thigh... Ida liked to see his response to that...
    johnmed3 likes this.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Distinguished Member Array phreddy's Avatar
    Everyone came out alive and unharmed so that is good, however, I don't know about rolling down the window to talk to him. A friend of my famliy was killed at a bank drive-thru at 8:45 in the morning in 2009. The guy walked right up to her min-van, asked her something and then starting blasting away before she could react. He pulled her out of the van and took off. This was a busy drive-thru and many people witnessed the shooting.

VIP Member
    Typically most folks scrunch up their vehicles too close in the drive thru lane. But it's always best to leave enough room so you can break the line and leave. Granted it would be hard for me to leave and abandon a Whataburger and strawberry shake order.
    ericb327 likes this.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Distinguished Member Array ericb327's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ppkheat View Post
    Typically most folks scrunch up their vehicles too close in the drive thru lane. But it's always best to leave enough room so you can break the line and leave. Granted it would be hard for me to leave and abandon a Whataburger and strawberry shake order.
    Yes, at stop lights too.
    For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill. (Sun Tzu) The Art of War

https://www.facebook.com/ninja312

My food and product review blog
    http://trualitybarandgrille.wordpress.com/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links