A BG at your window at night.

This is a discussion on A BG at your window at night. within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Having lived in the middle of no where for most of my life I have had plenty of "non-human" encounters at oh dark thirty. I ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree32Likes

Thread: A BG at your window at night.

Having lived in the middle of no where for most of my life I have had plenty of "non-human" encounters at oh dark thirty. I understand the general rule of thumb is to stay inside but when you live in the sticks even a office running lights and sirens is not going to get to you in time if it isn't non-human. Why waste the officers time for a skunk, raccoon, etc when as mentioned above the 3 s's work just fine. Living in town now, yes I would stay inside and call 911, but I wouldn't do that in the sticks.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Bill MO's Avatar
    As ppkheat said in his post its a long way in and a long way out. After about the second time of calling for LE on a coon in the dog food you would be waiting days instead of hours for them to show. There have been break-ins reported here where I live that it has taken 3 days for the Law to show up. You up to holding up in your safe room for that long? Again rural folks are different they see a job that needs done they do it. Why call 911 or go to the ER when a bandaid will work.

That is the main thing I see wrong with living in the city, folks there see having a problem as a need to call someone else to take care of it. Not only do they (the citizen) think so, the powers to be require it.
    W9HDG, tcox4freedom and gejoslin like this.
    It's gotta be who you are, not a hobby. reinman45

"Is this persons bad behavior worth me having to kill them over?" Guantes

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    I have a tactical light on my pump 12 ga shotgun, but it still takes 2 hands. The light on a pistol that only requires the use of one hand can be difficult to engage the light without also engaging the trigger finger.

Personally, I would not have gone outside. There could have been an accomplice outside jump him from behind. If I saw movement outside of a window, I'd stage myself in my house where I could see the window but he couldn't see me. Like in NFL football, when he broke the plane, touchdown!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by thedogfather View Post
    Generally speaking, I don't think it is a good idea to go armed outside your premises. If a shooting occurred, that could look like an aggressive action on your part. I think I would call 911, armed, from a secure, defensive, safety room or area. Let that dirt bag come to me. If he comes into your zone, light him up. The authorities will show up later and carry his dead ass away. Just my .02. I've never been in your situation.
    [QUOTE=archer51;2327349]IMO your friends biggest mistake was going out the house and engaging the perp. I understand the desire to protect your home, but what if there had been an accomplice keeping a watch for the first guy? It could have had a much different outcome.
    Stay inside, call 911, take up a defensive position where you can watch the window and wait. If the police show up in time, they can arrest the individual. If they don't show up in time, and the perp enters his house, he has a clear, justified shoot.[/QUOTE]

Quote Originally Posted by Bill MO View Post
    Those who live in rural areas find themselves in different situations than those in cities. Mainly LE being hours away in stead of minutes and fewer LE to start with. So those living rural tend to take care of things themselves, cleaning up afterwards themselves or calling for clean up, depending on who and what was taken care of. For things not human the 3 S rule applies most times. (3 S rule = shoot, shovel and shut-up)

^^^^^^YEP^^^^^^^^^

To all in bold.

To clarify;
    If I were home with the family, I would assess who/what/ prior to making a call to the law.
    If its critters, as was the case a number of years back, with two separate incidents of rouge dogs trying(successfully once) at getting @ our caged pet rabbits, I'm shagging out the door after them.
    If its thug behavior for sure, they are getting the "Hey buster I am armed and the black N whites are on the way" speech.

We live out in a rural area,dead end rd., corn to the west, beans to the east, my empty field to the N., and about six houses spread out over the five acres to the S.

Bad thing is, when we keep the a/c off if its not gonna be above 80-something for a week or so, we are vulnerable much more so with the windows open, but it has been relatively quiet here for the 19 yrs. we have been here.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Ok, well put ... yea the difference in rural -v- urban environment. I lived "out in the sticks" for most of my younger years. Today, I live just outside the city limits, which puts me in Whatcom County here in Washington. It spreads from the saltwater on the west to the glaciers of the North Cascade Wilderness in the east. Canada to the north. No doubt there are areas where a sheriff response could be a long way out. I didn't consider that earlier. Guess I've been a "townie" too long, ha ha.

Senior Member Array threefeathers's Avatar
    Excellent ideas here, Personally I chided him for going outside in the first place. My friend saw the BG through a window and then went outside. In AZ he could have shot the man right there and then. But once the fellow was running it would have created a very iffy situation. My friend killed a robber in Texas and was badly wounded by an IED in Iraq so he does not suffer from a lock of courage, just a lack of thinking through the situation.

Going outside usually leaves an unlocked door for possible entry by perp while your doing your Elmer Fudd impersonation .Just something to consider lol. Better to have law on your side and simply wait and see imho..
    RIP Jeff Cooper

Quote Originally Posted by thedogfather View Post
    Generally speaking, I don't think it is a good idea to go armed outside your premises. If a shooting occurred, that could look like an aggressive action on your part. I think I would call 911, armed, from a secure, defensive, safety room or area. Let that dirt bag come to me. If he comes into your zone, light him up. The authorities will show up later and carry his dead ass away. Just my .02. I've never been in your situation.
    I tend to agree with your assessment, as a matter of fact, that's what I did a few months ago when my ADT home alarm whaled at 3:00 A.M.

I learned allot from that experience and my short comings. One of which living in the boonies, it took the Sheriff's Deputy about thirty minutes to get here.

I'm well aware that material things can be replaced, however, in my un-securable no door pole barn, I have thousands of dollars worth of farm implements among other valuables that's not insured. If I catch a criminal trespassing and stealing, I'm going to take my chances with my 870 Express and confront them / him / her until the cops finally arrive.
    I think, therefore I am...

<the Menace>

I want to say shoot him through the window then crack it and call the po-po, but that would be wrong wouldn't it? Oh wait.. he was peeping wasn't he? (joke)
    Why?? Because at the last second, the Police are minutes away.

With the background on threefeathers friend of coming back from a war zone I can understand his reaction. In a war zone you don't sit back and wait for the by to make another move. Typically you would advance toward the target and engage. I think he just needs to retrain his mind to where he is ( home not at war) but with the fact that many of our troops go back to the war zones on many tours I'm afraid you will see throw OPs situation over and over again. I would ask the OP to eextend my thanks for his service.
    USMC Retired
    Marine Corps League..life member
    Military Order of the Purple Heart
    Disabled Vietnam Vet

Release the hounds.

If the friend is hundreds of yards away from neighbors a shotgun would work fine, just lead a little bit.
    Yoda, I am, yes.

Quote Originally Posted by threefeathers View Post
    Excellent ideas here, Personally I chided him for going outside in the first place. My friend saw the BG through a window and then went outside. In AZ he could have shot the man right there and then. But once the fellow was running it would have created a very iffy situation. My friend killed a robber in Texas and was badly wounded by an IED in Iraq so he does not suffer from a lock of courage, just a lack of thinking through the situation.
    That changes everything. If I know or highly suspect it's a human intruder, it becomes a 911 and barricade situation. Going outside in that situation, obviously without a plan, was not a good idea.

But I've been out several times middle of the night the past few weeks doing some critter control, and a raccoon or possum rummaging sure can sound like a person. I go out armed for both, and always with my cellphone. Not sure what's spiked the activity - I think it has something to do with the heat and lack of rain making natural prey a bit more scarce. Neighbors seeing the same thing, and from the sounds of it, they're using the same prescription I am - 4700mg of Pb.

Distinguished Member Array tcox4freedom's Avatar
    I have a tactical light on my pump 12 ga shotgun, but it still takes 2 hands. The light on a pistol that only requires the use of one hand can be difficult to engage the light without also engaging the trigger finger.

Personally, I would not have gone outside. There could have been an accomplice outside jump him from behind. If I saw movement outside of a window, I'd stage myself in my house where I could see the window but he couldn't see me. Like in NFL football, when he broke the plane, touchdown!!!!
    Living in the country, "you gotta do what ya gotta do".

LEOs can be way to far away to help. It takes 45min to an hour to get from one end of our county to the other and there are only 9 deputies to cover it all. Out here we help ourselves & we help our neighbors. Whether it be a prowler or other BG -- brush fire or livestock on the loose -- you have to help each other when you live in the country.

My neighbors and I've had problems with prowlers & thieves several times & you just have to scare them off in the best way possible when it could take up to an hour to get a deputy to respond. That's why I have three dogs. When I've had to respond to potential prowlers on my property, I ALWAYS take a dog with me. To me, a PP trained dog is more important than anything else I have to help me in the way of security.

-
    Bill MO likes this.

Similar thing happened at my aunt and uncle's house when I was a kid. My aunt saw a guy watching us through a living room window. She called my uncle over, gave him a kiss and told him about the guy. He didn't look at the window, just walked into the next room and came back with a 6" .357. Guy took off like a shot.

I lived in the rural mountains of Virginia the last 14 years. I still didn't go outside at night without the floodlights on. Once you round the corner of the house on a black bear, you think twice before doing it again.
    tcox4freedom and 1911srule like this.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Distinguished Member Array tcox4freedom's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pfries View Post
    I agree, generally with a moment or two of listening you can discern animal. If I deem otherwise I still go but family is waiting with phone and back up. I think some of this has to do with comfort and training level, I would not expect my misses to head outside I however will. The fastest emergency response time I have experienced here at the house is 45 min. 2+ hours for non-emergency. My neighbors are more reliable back up than the law.
    Plus 1+

I have several friends on our sheriff's dept. If there is ever a bar-fight or a gang related fight call, ALL nine deputies must respond and they could be tied up for quite some time.. One of the shift commanders told me that it isn't unusual for a 911 call to take up to 45min; and I've seen non-emergency calls take longer than 24hrs. That's why all the LEOs I know are PRO cc & HD.

I lived in the rural mountains of Virginia the last 14 years. I still didn't go outside at night without the floodlights on. Once you round the corner of the house on a black bear, you think twice before doing it again.
    Another good reason to have dogs.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links