A BG at your window at night.

This is a discussion on A BG at your window at night. within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; a friend lives in a rural situation with the nearest neighbor hundreds of yards away. He was home and at 0 dark thirty his dog ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree32Likes

Thread: A BG at your window at night.

Senior Member Array threefeathers's Avatar

a friend lives in a rural situation with the nearest neighbor hundreds of yards away.
    He was home and at 0 dark thirty his dog began barking. My friend grabbed his flashlight and handgun and began searching. He saw movement near a window of his home. Wallking stealthfully he slowly opened his rear door and began to creep around the house. He did not light his flashlight because he could hear someone at the rear window that was around the corner.
    He rounded the corner and saw a large fellow trying to life the window open. My friend quickly lit his 100+ Lumen flashlight that was in his left hand and pointed his handgun in his right hand, the crook reached in his belt line but quickly showed both hands empty when he realized my friend was armed.
    It was then that my friend realized that he had left himself in a position he couldn't call for help, with both hands filled he couldn't use his cell phone and the nearest neighbor couldn't hear him.
    The BG began to back up and suddenly broke into a run. My friend did not see a weapon on the BG so he didn't shoot and he was barefoot so he couldn't chase.
    My friend backed up into the house, locked up and called the sheriff. My firend went to the neighbors houses the next morning and one or two told him they had also found someone on their land. One of the neighbors identified the fellow as someone he knew and the BG turned out to be quite a dangerous guy.

I live in a similar area in the woods, a good hike to the next house.

I know the book answer is to barricade and call the police, but most calls would end up with the officer trying to reason with a coon, possum, or skunk, so I violate the book quite often. My standard check the premises gear is my cell phone, light, one of my handguns, and one of the .22 rifles (I really need to get another .22 pistol). I leave the shotgun in the house because I can't Arnold two long guns at once. So far, only the .22 has needed to be used. If I ever do encounter a BG, the sight of me in my boxers and muck boots might just scare any BG into thinking he'd stepped into a live action Deliverance sequel.

That said, a chase would be a bad idea, regardless of footwear or lack thereof. Backing up into the house, locking up, and calling was the right answer.

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    My Mom had this happen once when I was there. He knocked on her window and called her by name but she didn't know him. I put my Security Six barrel against the glass and told him to scram, probably not the technically correct response, but IMPD told me I was ok since I was preventing him from trying to enter the home.
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

Quote Originally Posted by INccwchris View Post
    My Mom had this happen once when I was there. He knocked on her window and called her by name but she didn't know him. I put my Security Six barrel against the glass and told him to scram, probably not the technically correct response, but IMPD told me I was ok since I was preventing him from trying to enter the home.
    They don't call it a "Security Six" for nothing!

I had a similar situation. Was one of those pushy magazine salesmen. When I was 23 and visiting back from college, my Mom decided to ask the salesman in for a drink of water or a soda (since it was 100+ degrees that day, and she's a nice person, felt bad for him in the heat). I heard them talking, him trying to sell magazines, my mom saying "No thank you" 3 times.Then he started to yell about she was a "rich" and why couldn't she "help him out". When I heard that, I came downstairs with my XD40 with a CT laser, which I always carry in the house. I put the CT dot on his crotch and told him to beat it, then called the cops.
    gejoslin likes this.

This is why lights mounted on a handgun or rifle is a nice accessory.

Quote Originally Posted by gator15 View Post
    This is why lights mounted on a handgun or rifle is a nice accessory.
    I have a tactical light on my pump 12 ga shotgun, but it still takes 2 hands. The light on a pistol that only requires the use of one hand can be difficult to engage the light without also engaging the trigger finger.

Personally, I would not have gone outside. There could have been an accomplice outside jump him from behind. If I saw movement outside of a window, I'd stage myself in my house where I could see the window but he couldn't see me. Like in NFL football, when he broke the plane, touchdown!!!!
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Generally speaking, I don't think it is a good idea to go armed outside your premises. If a shooting occurred, that could look like an aggressive action on your part. I think I would call 911, armed, from a secure, defensive, safety room or area. Let that dirt bag come to me. If he comes into your zone, light him up. The authorities will show up later and carry his dead ass away. Just my .02. I've never been in your situation.
    ksblazer likes this.

I agree with BugDude's approach...
    Stay inside, call 911, grab the Glock-21 w/SureFire X-300, stay out of sight and wait for breaking glass to start the fireworks!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Just like baking a cake. Open window, add bad guy, season with lead, and stir. Bake on high for 10 minutes and let the police remove him from the oven. Quick and easy dead bad guy cake.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Distinguished Member Array Once's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    I have a tactical light on my pump 12 ga shotgun, but it still takes 2 hands. The light on a pistol that only requires the use of one hand can be difficult to engage the light without also engaging the trigger finger.

Personally, I would not have gone outside. There could have been an accomplice outside jump him from behind. If I saw movement outside of a window, I'd stage myself in my house where I could see the window but he couldn't see me. Like in NFL football, when he broke the plane, touchdown!!!!
    This would me as well.

Distinguished Member Array Bill MO's Avatar
    Those who live in rural areas find themselves in different situations than those in cities. Mainly LE being hours away in stead of minutes and fewer LE to start with. So those living rural tend to take care of things themselves, cleaning up afterwards themselves or calling for clean up, depending on who and what was taken care of. For things not human the 3 S rule applies most times. (3 S rule = shoot, shovel and shut-up)
    gejoslin, BugDude, pfries and 3 others like this.
    It's gotta be who you are, not a hobby. reinman45

"Is this persons bad behavior worth me having to kill them over?" Guantes

VIP Member
    We've lived very rural for the past 25+ years, one long way in, one long way out. There are quite a few vehicles parked around my house at any one time. BTW they are not up on blocks, LOL. I suppose it looks as if there are several people living here. Usually there are 2-4 yard dogs around the house, not confined. AFAIK, we've never had anyone lurk around the house, it certainly doesn't mean that it couldnn't happen, it just hasn't happened yet.
    Rock and Glock and gejoslin like this.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

VIP Member
    IMO your friends biggest mistake was going out the house and engaging the perp. I understand the desire to protect your home, but what if there had been an accomplice keeping a watch for the first guy? It could have had a much different outcome.
    Stay inside, call 911, take up a defensive position where you can watch the window and wait. If the police show up in time, they can arrest the individual. If they don't show up in time, and the perp enters his house, he has a clear, justified shoot.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

hello 911.... you need to send the coroner there is a dead body under my window
    BugDude likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill MO View Post
    Those who live in rural areas find themselves in different situations than those in cities. Mainly LE being hours away in stead of minutes and fewer LE to start with. So those living rural tend to take care of things themselves, cleaning up afterwards themselves or calling for clean up, depending on who and what was taken care of. For things not human the 3 S rule applies most times. (3 S rule = shoot, shovel and shut-up)
    I agree, generally with a moment or two of listening you can discern animal. If I deem otherwise I still go but family is waiting with phone and back up. I think some of this has to do with comfort and training level, I would not expect my misses to head outside I however will. The fastest emergency response time I have experienced here at the house is 45 min. 2+ hours for non-emergency. My neighbors are more reliable back up than the law.
    tcox4freedom likes this.
    Mors est libertas

MALAD JUSTED

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links