McDonalds do nothing robbery

This is a discussion on McDonalds do nothing robbery within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; It really depends on the dynamics of the situation. If the BG is going to start shooting or is already shooting I would engage, If ...

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree61Likes

Thread: McDonalds do nothing robbery

It really depends on the dynamics of the situation. If the BG is going to start shooting or is already shooting I would engage, If its just a smash a grab, I do nothing but be a good witness. Each scenario being its own, it is really hard to tell what to do....
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

2. Remove Ads

If he does not present a gun or start rounding up people, let him go. I'm not inserting myself into his situation.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ghost tracker View Post
    Pretty cut & dried as far as I'm concerned. NOTHING makes you a LEO except...BEING an LEO. I'm not a cowboy, the cavalry or a Super Hero. I carry a handgun to protect myself & my family against life-threatening assault, with the option of providing aid to others depending on perceived circumstances. You said the felon used the "I have a gun threat" but you didn't say if anyone had SEEN the gun. I also don't know where I sitting in relation to the action and/or the exits. I don't know if I'm alone or have my grandchildren with me. I don't know if he's a screaming, tweaker maniac or a quiet, calculating career criminal. So there's a lot more details to the scenario before I can explain & justify my tactics & choices. If you're asking if I'll step-in to simply stop cash being taken from McDonalds, no. But if your asking if I'll step-in to stop a botched robbery that evolves into a death trap for me or others in the restaurant? Yep, I will.

^I'm kinda gravitating to this campfire^^^^^^^^^^
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Quote Originally Posted by oneshot View Post
    ^I'm kinda gravitating to this campfire^^^^^^^^^^
    Mind if I join you? I'll bring the marshmellows.
    DamnitBob likes this.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

In the case of the Sheriff, I've always been under the impression that a sworn police officer was required (when at all possible) to intervene to stop a crime, even if off duty?

Quote Originally Posted by Orange Boy View Post
    In the case of the Sheriff, I've always been under the impression that a sworn police officer was required (when at all possible) to intervene to stop a crime, even if off duty?
    Nope. No law REQUIRES their action... Upheld by the SCOTUS... Most LEO's I know would not hesitate to engage. OTOH, many times all the BG wants is $$$, but compliance does not always work as many dead victim's families can attest. If I were LEO, I would engage... and as a private citizen... I would only engage to protect my own... or if the life of another was in clear and obvious peril and I could do so safely.
    Politicians, take note of Colorado 9/10/2013.
    "You are elected to service, not power.
    Your job is to "serve us" not to lord power over us."
    Me, 9/11/13

Quote Originally Posted by diver1102 View Post
    My ccw instructor (county sheriff) gave us this senerio and it has got me thinking, is it ok to do nothing?

Your sitting at McDonalds enjoying your bigmac and coke when a guy comes in and demands money. He is using the "I have a gun threat" Do you either A) let the money be taken (its mcdonalds a few hundred won't hurt their bottom line I promise) and simply call the police or B) intervien and start a shootout with inoocents including children that could be injured or killed.

He said he would simply call it in, even as an off duty officer. I think his point 1)your ccw doesn't make you a cop, don't go around trying to be one. 2)you don't always have to draw and be very sure that when you do you've really used it as a last resort.

Thoughts?
    I'm all for being cool and letting the situation pass, but the instant I'm ordered to do anything or a gun is pointed at me, I'm going to kill him. He leaves me out of it, takes the money and leaves, I'll stand by and observe for my wittiness statement. But the moment he involves me is his last moment on earth.

Quote Originally Posted by ArmyMan View Post
    I'm all for being cool and letting the situation pass, but the instant I'm ordered to do anything or a gun is pointed at me, I'm going to kill him. He leaves me out of it, takes the money and leaves, I'll stand by and observe for my wittiness statement. But the moment he involves me is his last moment on earth.
    you must be good to draw on a man(men) that has the upper hand to start with. I am no hero but I am not going to wait and see if I am going to be a victim first

Quote Originally Posted by barstoolguru View Post
    you must be good to draw on a man(men) that has the upper hand to start with. I am no hero but I am not going to wait and see if I am going to be a victim first
    I hear what you're say'n, take his initiative away. I can't say I disagree.

One robber to cover the registers, employees and the lobby. He can't stay trained on me forever. He looks at me, gives me this-or-that order, has to look away sometime, and when he does he'll hear me give him an order, and when that gun flinches in my direction, 13 rounds of .45 hollow point will enter his body.

Do criminals in America honestly think they can do anything the US Army doesn't already deal with and train for in Afghanistan? Pft. This guy wants to leave me out of it, take his money and run, everyone needs to just be cool and just let the situation ride. Don't involve me, though, because I'll act.

I've made the flash decision to kill before, I'll make it again.

Distinguished Member Array Burns's Avatar
    My job: Make it home to my wife, if that means not intervening to stop a robbery, that's fine with me. Now if I feel threatened or see a woman/child being threatened, I will do everything I can to stop it.
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable- JFK

Quote Originally Posted by Burns View Post
    My job: Make it home to my wife, if that means not intervening to stop a robbery, that's fine with me. Now if I feel threatened or see a woman/child being threatened, I will do everything I can to stop it.
    Internet tuf-guys may try to give you grief for that, but pay no attention if they do. Yours is a valid survival instinct like many others.
    W9HDG likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Burns View Post
    I have to ask; if a BG holds up Micky D's does he just point the gun at the men? Or is it OK to point a gun at employees but not the customers or just the male ones?

The 71yo man was an internet (cafe) tough guy and he didn’t bat an eye; don't underestimate people on the net just because they talk. Rule #1 of a fight is never underestimate your enemy something our military has done in the past and got whooped by "a bunch of farmers"

Distinguished Member Array Burns's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by barstoolguru View Post
    I have to ask; if a BG holds up Micky D's does he just point the gun at the men? Or is it OK to point a gun at employees but not the customers or just the male ones?
    Obviously it's not "OK" to point a gun at anybody, but I'm not going to risk my life for a guy that chooses not to protect himself, it's HIS choice, nobody else made it for him. What I'm saying is I would do everything in my power to stop any threat against a woman or child, and that's a lot more than most people can say.
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable- JFK

Quote Originally Posted by gottabkiddin View Post
    Let him have the mcBucks. If he starts shooting, that changes everything, put him down.
    He starts pointing the gun at me or family, he gets fired upon, preferebly before he fires.
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it. Albert Einstein

"People in Arizona carry guns," said a Chandler police spokesman. "You better be careful about who you are picking on."

Let him have the money, if he involved me I would respond accordingly. Otherwise be a good witness.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links