I was targeted... at the grocery store! - Page 2

I was targeted... at the grocery store!

This is a discussion on I was targeted... at the grocery store! within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Glad to hear it turned out good, Chalk it up as lesson learned. No need to be embarrassed...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: I was targeted... at the grocery store!

Distinguished Member Array sid1's Avatar
    Glad to hear it turned out good,
    Chalk it up as lesson learned. No need to be embarrassed

A while back I drove into one of those Murphy gas stations at the local Walmart store, and started pumping gas into my truck. I noticed this guy talking to one of the other customers putting gas into his vehicle. Then he walked over to where I was. I looked him dead in the eye and he stopped about 8 feet away and asked me if he could use *my credit card* to put $10.00 worth of gas in his truck as he had a house painting job to do that day and was out of gas (he did have a ladder on top of his vehicle).. I said I did not think I wanted to do that if it was ok with him. Maybe some other time. He walked over and stood by his vehicle and waited for ther next customer. I did not plan on letting him get any closer than that 8 feet though.

You won't believe this, but once I was panhandled at a carwash by a young guy in a wheel chair. He had long hair and a neatly trimmed beard, and he was clean and had on nice clothes. There was a van parked nearby and I assumed it was his. There was a women inside it and I think a kid as well. I did not give him any money. It was a nice new van. Not too long after that I was approached by a middle-aged guy wearing a baseball hat and driving a new red Ford F-150 with ca crew cab. He had a red plastic gas can in his hand (his prop) and his story was that he had left home without his billfold and ran out of gas in the parking lot (next to a chain drug store) I said no thanks, buddy, and walked into the store. I watched him out the glass door and he was pulling the scam on everybody that walked by. The manager called the cops and they said he had been doing that all over town.

Perhaps you were not made out as a target, but may have made yourself a target. I know this may not be acceptable......but it's just a thought.
    You ever wonder why?

I was in NC visiting family about a year ago and I saw an old van parked towards the rear of the station with several people in tank top undershirts and several small dogs running around. I intentionally pulled into a pump the fartherest away from them. About the time I started pumping, I saw one of the bean pole guys heading my way with a gas can. I knew what was coming. So, I turned sideways with the pump handle between me and his direction and had my hand on my XD40sc IWB on the opposite side. All the while, I figured if anything happened I could douse him with gas. As he approached, I told him to stop. He poured on the sob story and I said, "hold the gas can with both hands and I'll put a couple bucks in it." This accomlished a couple things. It kept his hands occupied where I could see them and I did not have to bend down making myself vulnerable. It also kept him in line with the nozzle and I kept my back to the truck. After a gallon or so, I said, "Alright man, I've got to get going." He thanked me profusely and be-bopped back to the rattle trap happier than a pig in mud. It was not my usual response...maybe I was in touch with my inner hippy. The thought did cross my mind that if they could not afford gas, I wonder how they are feeding the dogs. Oh well, not my issue.
    Ransom, tundra and msgt/ret like this.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

As the price of gas goes up again, be ready for more attempts to distract your attention and get to your money.

My mother, brother, husband, son, or girlfriend just got sick, went to the hospital, had surgery, needs my help or is dying and I need gas, a repair etc.

I have even been approached for money (a hotel room) several times and many more for gas.

One guy, in BDUs with a sob story won me over for a chunck of money with the best, "I'll pay ya back when I get home." I guess he saw the base sticker on the vehicle we were driving.

We exchanged points of contact. Never heard from him so I decided to check him out. He never existed.

I can only hope some soldier beats to bum within an inch of his life when he gets caught impersonating a soldier.

I know, God will.
    Certified Glock Armorer

I normally wait for a pretty lady to follow out the grocery store . Then I head to my truck. This way, any tail will be watching the girl and not be aware of me... LOL

bad joke... I know...
    Doug;}
    RSO, WA. XDMc 9mm, S&W 642CT & 442 38 sp, 1947 Savage 99 300,
    1972 Marlin 336 RC .35, 1922 Walther Model 4, 1933 Walther DSM 34, High Standard 1954 22LR

I prefer to be judged by 12 then carried by 6

yeah 1 for charlotte, i live rite outside of charlotte, not sayin its the roughest city but it made gangland. lots of gkbs and hvk and ****. gotta watch ur back in charlotte
    ruger91

NRA member

Quote Originally Posted by WHYDAH View Post
    I've carried for a long time. I have always practiced what I thought to be good situational awareness. I'm embarrassed to post this, but some may glean something useful from it, so here goes.

I stopped in to a local grocery store not long ago to pick up a few things while on the way home from somewhere (can't remember from where).

I was standing in a aisle ogling the micro-brews when the affable fellow walks up and engages me in a short conversation regarding the subject of my attention, laughs, then walks off. I didn't think anything of it at the time.

I purchase my few items and roll the basket out to the parking lot to my car and never noticed this same guy following behind me. I open the back of my Suburban, and while standing there with both hands full and with my left foot chocking the basket to hold it in place, this guy comes right up on me asking for money. I am standing there obviously caught flat-footed and wondering what to do while watching this guy to see where his hands were and basically trying to allow my brain to catch up with the situation.

Luckily, he only wanted a handout. He gave me a sob story and asked me to help him out. By then I had relaxed somewhat and told him that I didn't carry cash.... only a debit card (lie). He said OK, and got into the passenger seat of a brand new Toyota parked right beside me being driven my some women, who backed out and drove away with both of them laughing. I'm left standing there feeling very foolish and berating myself for having been caught in that manner. I was armed, with a concealed G19 tucked neatly away in an IWB.

The unnerving thing was that this guy had picked me out in the store. I have to assume that his banter with me was somehow his means of checking me out. The thing is, I don't look like a friendly guy.... really. And I'm not a 90 lb weakling, either. I was caught completely unawares! It could have turned out much worse. But, as it is, it serves as a learning experience.
    . Thats why I use the cart if i cant one hand my groceries. Looks like he parked next to you and followed you from the start.

Luckily, he only wanted a handout. He gave me a sob story and asked me to help him out. By then I had relaxed somewhat and told him that I didn't carry cash.... only a debit card (lie).
    It's generally not advisable to engage in conversations with these types. A businesslike "No" is all you really need to say. If the situation warrants it you may be more forceful about it.

I'm going to post a piece I found called "Street Robberies and You: The Basics" which offers some very sage advice on how to react to confrontations by both individuals and groups.

Look for it in the "reference" forum.

Well I think the point is that when you go out, you expect not to really be noticed as everyone has their own business on their minds. Ever put on a favorite T-shirt with a little hole in it or tiny stain and ask your significant other if it looks okay, and they'll reply, "who's going to notice?" So it would be unnerving to find out that someone had actually been watching and contemplating an action with you. And it's especially unnerving when you realize you were completely oblivious to it.

It sounds like a lot of us have been approached at some point in time or another... we let our guard down at times. It happens. Don't beat yourself up over it and take the lesson learned to then be more vigilant.

Personally, I don't like being approached by anybody begging for money. I give them an uninterested NO. They usually leave and approach someone else. I don't feel bad about it. I give to charity, I help with my child's school, I'm generous (to a point), loyal, work hard, and I pay my taxes. I already support myself, my family, and several thousand other people (through my taxes) and I'm not going to be made to feel guilty for telling some "poor unfortunate" soul NO. If they NEED gas, they NEED to get a JOB!
    ccw9mm, goldmaster and Chris Dawg like this.

Quote Originally Posted by ruger91 View Post
    yeah 1 for charlotte, i live rite outside of charlotte, not sayin its the roughest city but it made gangland. lots of gkbs and hvk and ****. gotta watch ur back in charlotte
    I have got a friend that is now a police detective on the CMPD(25 + years), he was home around July 4 and we caught up on some old times and he told me some dangerous stories about the Queen City.

...and while standing there with both hands full and with my left foot chocking the basket to hold it in place, this guy comes right up on me asking for money. I am standing there obviously caught flat-footed and wondering what to do while watching this guy to see where his hands were and basically trying to allow my brain to catch up with the situation.
    I'm glad you're ok and the most important thing is that you learned from the situation. I'm sure your SA will be much higher in the future. Keep in mind, that even with your hands full, if the SHTF, you could always take back the initiative and throw things at the BG. There will be times when your hands will be occupied, even if your SA is on full alert. This incident has given you a wealth of lessons to help you in the future.
    Ben

Cogito, ergo armatum sum. I think, therefore I am armed. (Don Mann, The Modern Day Gunslinger; the ultimate handgun training manual)

As someone else said, you are human. Don't be embarrassed because you didn't get took by his little game. If you had pulled out a 5 or a 10 and gave it to him and he then jumped into the brand new Toyota and drove off laughing, then you'd have a reason for being embarrassed. As for concealed carrying. . . it really doesn't come into being an issue in this situation because it wasn't needed or used, luckily for you. The way I see it, you're the one that should be laughing as "they" drove away because you didn't get took. As for not picking up on him checking you out in the store, learn from it. No need for embarrassment.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links