I was targeted... at the grocery store! - Page 3

I was targeted... at the grocery store!

This is a discussion on I was targeted... at the grocery store! within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Did he look under 21y/o? Maybe he was feeling you out to see if you would buy he and his friend some beer? Having the ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: I was targeted... at the grocery store!

Did he look under 21y/o? Maybe he was feeling you out to see if you would buy he and his friend some beer? Having the luxury of reading about this and time to digest the options I would try and casually put the cart between us and have at least one hand on it to use as a ram if needed. Thanks for posting and allowing us to learn from your encounter.

No need to beat yourself up over this. You gained valuable experience if there is a next time. I consider myself fairly well prepared and aware but an incident in a Walmart (yeah, I know, ...shocker) parking lot caught me off guard last winter. I was on vaca with my family and after a long day of being in the parks, I dropped them off at the hotel and I ran to Wallyworld to pick up a few things. I noticed that a (cute) redhead happened to be in the same aisle or nearby me everywhere I went. Peculiar, but not unheard of as I am a stud extraordinaire......well no, not really. Anyway, I check out and she's on my 6 the entire way towards my truck. I stop, turn around and ask her to state her business. She pours on the typical story of being low on cash and how embarrassing it is to be asking a person for any sort of cash. I truly had no cash and told her so. What she said next floored me. She said she would do ANYTHING for me if I could help out. OK, I was honestly a bit stunned and right then and there I could have been a target for someone from behind since I wasn't prepared for that angle. I never expected to be propositioned in a Walmart parking lot by Disney World for chrissakes. Talk about shock and awe. Something new everyday!!

I have to say the OP scenario make me feel very uncomfortable, some folks can be very mentally unstable. It sounds like you were "picked" from at least the beer cooler. I am not sure that I would have handled the encounter much differently however at the end eye contact and a stern voice go a long way (at least you'll likely know where you stand from there).

Quote Originally Posted by oldrwizr View Post
    You were panhandled. It happens every time you go downtown in Durham NC. Take a deep breath, it's over now.
    I Hate that crap!
    Former US Army SFC
    LTC-Class A HC: MA
    AG License: RI
    LTC: CT

Senior Member Array Phillep Harding's Avatar
    Those who think pretty girls are safe, I know one who is the head of a badger team. And look up "lot lizards" some time.

Distinguished Member Array BurgerBoy's Avatar
    Yeah. Don't forget about Ma Barker and her boys.
    Vietnam Veteran - 1966-1970 USASA
    Carry Pistol. Gen 3 Glock 23, .40 Cal.
    Carry Pistol. Gen 3 Glock 19, 9mm.
    Bersa Thunder 9 UC Pro, 9mm. Gave To Daughter To Carry.
    Self Defense Stories
    Give me a minute before I post again.

I was at an out of town convention one time and I was walking from the hotel across the street to a restaurant where everyone had agreed to meet. As I walked I heard a voice some distance behind me shout, "Hey man!" I kept walking. A few seconds later (and this time much closer,) "HEY MAN!" I whirled on my heel and stuck my hand in my pocket to grab the butt of my 642 S&W. I said loudly, "Stop right there! You wanted my attention, now you have it. What do you want?" The guy says, "Man, you acting like you got a gun in yo pocket or sumpthin." I said, "I might." He waves his hands like "nevermind," turns around and starts walking toward a young couple nearby pushing a baby in a stroller. I said. "And, leave them alone too!" He swerved away from their direction and took off at a fast walk in the other direction. Three things to point out about this encounter. First, this is why I like pocket carry. The guy was never sure if I was packing or not and he definitely did not want to push it and find out. Second, being that I was in a strange town my SA was on red alert and I still never spotted the guy stalking me until he shouted. Third, the couple with the baby was clueless.
    "If you only knew the power of the dark side!" - Darth Vader

Just remember that woulda's and coulda's belong in the past. You are human and as such will make mistakes. You are still here and can learn from the experience. A few months back I saw this older, grandmotherly type lady approaching me in a grocery store parking lot in broad daylight. She asked me for cash (which I don't carry) to help her buy food to "feed her son". When I told her I was sorry but I couldn't help, she started begging for a ride because she "remembered" she had a gift card for Wendy's. Told her sorry but no and she tried to climb into the passenger door. Fortunately I only unlock the door I need or it could have gotten real ugly, as I didn't have my CPL yet (should be here in a couple weeks). I wasn't scared of her, but I was worried about any possible accomplice she may have had nearby. My wife used to tease me about the fact that I was being paranoid by not unlocking all the doors at once, not so much after I told her the story.

Good learning experience. Glad it worked out OK for you.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Sponsored Links