So Carolina-3 Men Block Road. Shots fired at van. What would you do?

This is a discussion on So Carolina-3 Men Block Road. Shots fired at van. What would you do? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Strange story and scary too. Sounds like a good way to get most motorists to stop so you can "do your dirty". Thinking about it--if ...

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree73Likes

Thread: So Carolina-3 Men Block Road. Shots fired at van. What would you do?

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    Strange story and scary too. Sounds like a good way to get most motorists to stop so you can "do your dirty". Thinking about it--if it happened almost as I was at the bridge without an opportunity to really back up or turn around and they were dressed as described I tend to believe (who the heck really knows but seems like the only option) that I would also run thru them.
    Fatherly advice I gave to my daughter who is attending a military ceremony in the area and had booked a hotel in Spartanburg---go elsewhere. Once upon a time a vibrant and nice town with a substantial "downtown". No more mills, no more jobs, no more money, no more vibrant downtown--apparently the only business now is to lock arms, stop cars on bridges, and do your thing. Situational awareness tells me to stay away from Spartanburg and advise others similarly.

2. Remove Ads

Stop, back up about 100 yards, U turn, drive away and call 911. If there's others behind me, let them pass, see what happens. If the "others" are also bad, road bumps it is.
    abillb likes this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gene83 View Post
    Before the shooting call, a deputy had stopped to speak with three men dressed similarly, but none had identification or weapons on them, according to the report.

Well dang, there wasn't nothing suspicious about that. "You got any identification, like maybe a driver's license or something? No? How about your two buddies? They don't have any identification either? Are you guys like twelve or thirteen? What are you doing out after midnight all dressed in black?

Headquarters, this is Deputy Fife. I checked it out. Nothing suspicious to report."
    Dang it. People don't need ID to walk around. You don't live in Stalinist Russia.

And you don't want to. Stop asking for things that we shouldn't be doing.

You won't get a safe world with the path you suggest.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Quote Originally Posted by Brad426 View Post
    BugDude?
    That's what I wondered!?!?!
    abillb likes this.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kelcarry View Post
    Strange story and scary too. Sounds like a good way to get most motorists to stop so you can "do your dirty". Thinking about it--if it happened almost as I was at the bridge without an opportunity to really back up or turn around and they were dressed as described I tend to believe (who the heck really knows but seems like the only option) that I would also run thru them.
    Fatherly advice I gave to my daughter who is attending a military ceremony in the area and had booked a hotel in Spartanburg---go elsewhere. Once upon a time a vibrant and nice town with a substantial "downtown". No more mills, no more jobs, no more money, no more vibrant downtown--apparently the only business now is to lock arms, stop cars on bridges, and do your thing. Situational awareness tells me to stay away from Spartanburg and advise others similarly.
    You might need to visit Spartanburg again. Yes, we have bad areas, but it is far from a war zone. We have one of the lowest unemployment rates in the state by county(4th or so last time I looked). Our downtown is being revitilaized.

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    Dang it. People don't need ID to walk around. You don't live in Stalinist Russia.

And you don't want to. Stop asking for things that we shouldn't be doing.

You won't get a safe world with the path you suggest.
    Agreed.
    Remember the outburst of joy when the old Soviet empire collapsed? It was soon followed an outcry from some because of the increase in crime. Some of them went so far as demanding that their old government come back as it took care of them better. Under the new freedoms they had to take care of themselves. We cannot argue with the fact that oppressive totalitarian governments are better equipped to prevent crime than a limited type of government is.

We are now having the same argument that the people in the old Soviet Bloc nations had. Is freedom worth the dangers that come with it. Should the government protect you from what might happen or should it protect your freedom to protect yourself. Should we have a government that takes away your freedom in the name of security. Or, should it protect your freedom while punishing those who abused those freedoms.

Michael
    Last edited by mlr1m; July 26th, 2012 at 01:26 PM. Reason: I made an oopsie

Senior Member Array royal barnes's Avatar
    Nowhere in the scenario does it say they were wearing ski masks. It says they were wearing hoods and had their faces covered. Maybe by the hoods? Did they have their faces covered when encountered by the deputy? He makes no mention of it. Probably not. So they were in fact wearing normal clothes and walking. I will repeat my earlier statement that it did not go down as stated by the complainant. Smells more like a busted drug deal than anything else.

Distinguished Member Array tcox4freedom's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tessa View Post
    Stop, back up about 100 yards, U turn, drive away and call 911. If there's others behind me, let them pass, see what happens. If the "others" are also bad, road bumps it is.
    Sounds good on the surface.

But, any cars behind you could be accomplishes coming to wreck your vehicle or block you in further.

Question:
    How fast can you back your car 100 yards?
    Now, can you do it while swerving so a BG with a rifle can't get you in his sights?

One more thing backing up does is cause you to take your eyes off the danger. Not to mention most people aren't skilled enough as drivers to accomplish evasive maneuvers with a car.

In fact, most drivers have difficulty doing something as simple as "backing" into a parking space. Now add speed, FEAR, adrenalin while trying an emergency "J" turn on a dark lonely road and you have the makings for a wrecked & disabled vehicle.

Driving though allows you to keep you eye on the potential danger while moving forward allow you a much faster avenue of escape than a reverse "J" turn would.

The only thing that would possibly make me choose reverse would be having the road blocked with a larger vehicle that couldn't be pushed through; or forced off the road.

Question:
    How fast can to drive "forward'?
    Can you more easily drive forward while swerving to make it more difficult to be hit?

-

VIP Member
    This sounds like Season 3, episode 12 of "24"!

Do you have a link to the news story? I also am leaning to the side that says this event didn't happen as it was reported. But I'll keep an open mind if someone can provide some facts.

When I lived in Israel, the scariest thing that ever happened was when I was driving on a dark road at night and suddenly saw a dog standing in the middle of the road. When I slowed my car, two other dogs lunged at my car from either side, barking and baring fangs. I floored it and swerved around the dog in the middle. It seemed like the dogs had planned everything from the start.
    Ben

Cogito, ergo armatum sum.
    I think, therefore I am armed.

(Don Mann, The Modern Day Gunslinger; the ultimate handgun training manual)

Distinguished Member Array Burns's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tcox4freedom View Post
    Sounds good on the surface.

But, any cars behind you could be accomplishes coming to wreck your vehicle or block you in further.

One more thing backing up does is cause you to take your eyes off the danger. Not to mention most people aren't skilled enough as drivers to accomplish evasive maneuvers with a car. In fact most drivers even have difficulty "backing" into a parking space. Now add FEAR, adrenalin and trying an emergency "J" turn a dark lonely road and you have the makings for a wrecked & disabled vehicle.

Driving though allows you to keep you eye on the potential danger while moving forward allow you a much faster avenue of escape than a reverse "J" turn would.

The only thing that would possibly make me choose reverse would be having the road blocked with a larger vehicle that couldn't be pushed through; or off the road.

-
    Here's a story: A few years ago I was driving, pulled out of a parking lot and a guy must have thought I "cut him off" even tho I wasn't even close to him. He turned around, followed me, went in front of me, and slammed on the breaks as hard as he could trying to make me crash into him. Then he got out and started coming towards us, I think I saw something in his hand but I couldn't tell what it was. I couldn't go forward because his car was about 2 feet from the bumper, floored it in reverse and went around him, he jumped back in and started chasing me again, I ran a few stop signs, drifted around a few corners and got away from him and called the police.

Despite what you would think, that adrenaline helped more than anything.
    tcox4freedom likes this.
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable- JFK

Quote Originally Posted by mkh View Post
    3 guys with "arms locked" blocked the whole road? Must have some narrow roads in S.C.
    Just because they were in the road with arms locked doesn't mean they were up to no good.
    Are we sure the guy wasn't overreacting a bit
    wizard.jpg
    BenGoodLuck and Hopyard like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Burns View Post
    Here's a story: A few years ago I was driving, pulled out of a parking lot and a guy must have thought I "cut him off" even tho I wasn't even close to him. He turned around, followed me, went in front of me, and slammed on the breaks as hard as he could trying to make me crash into him. Then he got out and started coming towards us, I think I saw something in his hand but I couldn't tell what it was. I couldn't go forward because his car was about 2 feet from the bumper, floored it in reverse and went around him, he jumped back in and started chasing me again, I ran a few stop signs, drifted around a few corners and got away from him and called the police.

Despite what you would think, that adrenaline helped more than anything.
    I had a guy do that to me but his big mistake was I was on my way to my deer lease in east Texas. He made the mistake of following me down a side road. When I stopped and got out with a marlin 30-30 he all of a sudden left for some odd reason. You would think someone that went through all that trouble would have something to say... go figure

[QUOTE=bentcursor;2332716]This sounds like Season 3, episode 12 of "24"!

Do you have a link to the news story? I also am leaning to the side that says this event didn't happen as it was reported. But I'll keep an open mind if someone can provide some facts.

Here you go:

Spartanburg man: Shots fired at van with him, 8-year-old inside | GoUpstate.com

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jframe38 View Post
    Just thinking if this happened to you on a dark country road how would you think you would react?

[...]The three men who approached the victim's van all wore black jackets with hoods and had their faces covered, the report states. Before the shooting call, a deputy had stopped to speak with three men dressed similarly, but none had identification or weapons on them, according to the report.

No arrests have been made.
    No identification on any of them? That'd raise a red flag for me. I was under the impression LE can detain you until your indentified?

Also, something seems to be missing from this story. This is quite the odd random attack/attempted robbery. I'd be inclined to believe the guy in the van had pissed somebody off that he shouldn't of.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin

"Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by barstoolguru View Post
    Just because they were in the road with arms locked doesn't mean they were up to no good.
    Are we sure the guy wasn't overreacting a bit
    wizard.jpg
    This is what I would worry about. I have come across many folks who believe that it is perfectly permissible for them to block traffic when they are walking. Would be hard for me to tell if they are up to no good or just exercising their right to be stupid.

Michael

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links