So Carolina-3 Men Block Road. Shots fired at van. What would you do?

This is a discussion on So Carolina-3 Men Block Road. Shots fired at van. What would you do? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by mlr1m This is what I would worry about. I have come across many folks who believe that it is perfectly permissible for ...

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree73Likes

Thread: So Carolina-3 Men Block Road. Shots fired at van. What would you do?

Quote Originally Posted by mlr1m View Post
    This is what I would worry about. I have come across many folks who believe that it is perfectly permissible for them to block traffic when they are walking. Would be hard for me to tell if they are up to no good or just exercising their right to be stupid.

Michael
    so you would run Dorothy and Toto not to mention the tin man and scarecrow ?
    what ever happen to values in America today ?

imagesCATVUZJ0.jpg "OMG that mean old man said he would run us over"

2. Remove Ads

Originally Posted by mlr1m
    This is what I would worry about. I have come across many folks who believe that it is perfectly permissible for them to block traffic when they are walking. Would be hard for me to tell if they are up to no good or just exercising their right to be stupid.

Michael
    Quote Originally Posted by barstoolguru View Post
    so you would run Dorothy and Toto not to mention the tin man and scarecrow ?
    what ever happen to values in America today ?

imagesCATVUZJ0.jpg "OMG that mean old man said he would run us over"
    I believe that you have misunderstood my post. To put it more clearly. How does one differentiate between a group of idiots exercising their right to be stupid and a group of individuals that mean you harm. It might be legal to use force on the latter but nor the former. Make the wrong choice and you will have harmed innocent people.

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by mlr1m View Post
    I believe that you have misunderstood my post. To put it more clearly. How does one differentiate between a group of idiots exercising their right to be stupid and a group of individuals that mean you harm. It might be legal to use force on the latter but nor the former. Make the wrong choice and you will have harmed innocent people.

Michael
    I was having some fun with you but now back to the question. THERE is no law that gives you the right to run someone over because they are in the road. The pedestrian has the right of way. If someone is on the road you have two choices first is to call the cops and two back up, turn around and find a different route but there is NO law that says you can run someone over because they are in the middle of the road. If you feel your life is in question you can back up if possible or continue forward IF you can't back up BUT you can't run someone over because they are in the road
    mlr1m and Hopyard like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    Dang it. People don't need ID to walk around. You don't live in Stalinist Russia.

And you don't want to. Stop asking for things that we shouldn't be doing.

You won't get a safe world with the path you suggest.
    Oh, good grief Hop, cut me some slack. You don't have any ID on you? I've got more ID on me than you can shake a stick at. I've got a drivers license, a handgun permit, and commercial license for my business (all with photographs) plus the usual voter registration card, library card, social security card etc. You got nothing? You're out after midnight with your two friends all dressed in black and none of you have anything? Tell me this story about how all that came to be. I'm not going to arrest you, but if I'm law enforcement, I'll be keeping an eye on you and I'll let you know that I'm doing it. That's not Stalinist Russia. That's just trying to uphold some responsibility for your safety.
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

Senior Member Array xsigma40cal's Avatar
    Shots fired at me with my 8 yr-old nephew in the car=me goin Mad Max on 'em.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gene83 View Post
    Oh, good grief Hop, cut me some slack. You don't have any ID on you? I've got more ID on me than you can shake a stick at. I've got a drivers license, a handgun permit, and commercial license for my business (all with photographs) plus the usual voter registration card, library card, social security card etc. You got nothing? You're out after midnight with your two friends all dressed in black and none of you have anything? Tell me this story about how all that came to be. I'm not going to arrest you, but if I'm law enforcement, I'll be keeping an eye on you and I'll let you know that I'm doing it. That's not Stalinist Russia. That's just trying to uphold some responsibility for your safety.
    Nowhere did I say the officer should not have spoken to them, ascertained who they said they were, inquired about their business out at that hour, which the story implies he did--- and LEO was bamboozled, or the story isn't real.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

I never saw them. It was dark. Thought I hit a deer. Damn.

Three guys wearing masks and hoodies trying to stop me by forming a human chain in the road? My Tundra would need a good washing the next morning....

Quote Originally Posted by djp105 View Post
    Three guys wearing masks and hoodies trying to stop me by forming a human chain in the road? My Tundra would need a good washing the next morning....
    And barring any real proof of a threat you will probably be behind bars and unable to give it that washing.

Michael

Well, we laid a strip for the Jersey Shore Prepared to cross the line I could see the bridge was lined with bears But I didn't have a doggone dime I says "Pigpen, this here's the Rubber Duck" "We just ain't a-gonna pay no toll" So we crashed the gate doin' ninety-eight I says "let them truckers roll, ten-four"

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Buckj View Post
    Well, we laid a strip for the Jersey Shore Prepared to cross the line I could see the bridge was lined with bears But I didn't have a doggone dime I says "Pigpen, this here's the Rubber Duck" "We just ain't a-gonna pay no toll" So we crashed the gate doin' ninety-eight I says "let them truckers roll, ten-four"
    C.W. McCall - Convoy - YouTube
    Buckj likes this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Senior Member Array royal barnes's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Buckj View Post
    I have that as a ring tone for my phone when I'm feeling a little red around the neck.
    Buckj likes this.

GH
    Quote Originally Posted by royal barnes View Post
    I have that as a ring tone for my phone when I'm feeling a little red around the neck.
    I went for a long walk the other day with the sun to my back. I was only wearing T shirt with no collar. Now I can play the banjo.
    Glenn

USN Submarine & UDT/SEAL Veteran
    1SG, US Army Retired - Airborne Infantry All the Way!
    Special Warfare Mentor
    M&P40, M&P40C

I was having some fun with you but now back to the question. THERE is no law that gives you the right to run someone over because they are in the road. The pedestrian has the right of way. If someone is on the road you have two choices first is to call the cops and two back up, turn around and find a different route but there is NO law that says you can run someone over because they are in the middle of the road. If you feel your life is in question you can back up if possible or continue forward IF you can't back up BUT you can't run someone over because they are in the road
    Really? I think most states have laws that say pedestrains must use cross walks, side walks if available and if not, must walk on the side of the road facing traffic. Pedestrians do not have the right to interfere with traffic. Texas even goes so far to say that pedestrians must yield to vehicles on the highway unless it is as a designated spot.

To get back to the OP's post. I would hit the gas. If in my Jeep and my light covers were off, I would hit all my off road lights as well, limiting their vision. If in my other vehicles, I would hit the high beams to limit their vision. No stopping, or backing up or any of that. You would simply be giving them more time to engage you and take aim. If they are getting out of the way, they can't aim nearly as well.
    tcox4freedom likes this.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

If you feel your life is in question you can back up if possible or continue forward IF you can't back up BUT you can't run someone over because they are in the road
    While details are somewhat sketchy about exactly what was known when, what is claimed is that as he "approached a bridge ... three men came out of the bushes with their arms 'locked,' forming a human chain in front of the bridge; and that they were dressed all in black, hooded with faces covered."

There are also no laws that demand an obvious, on-the-instant barricade be acceded to that's placed in front of an approaching person by threatening-looking people who manifest apparently threatening intentions. And the immediate gunfire as the person/vehicle passed proved the judgement/fears the driver had over their intentions.

When presented with such an apparently threatening situation, you show me any statutes that require one to stop and take it.

IMO, the citizen did exactly the right thing: drove right through/past them. Everything comes down to the totality of circumstances. There are "choices of evils" statutes on the books for good reason, because not all of the choices we're presented in this life, particularly by people with evil intentions against us, are sugar-coated ones. Had the assailants opened fire prior to the person approaching in the vehicle (which they apparently didn't in this case), it seems to me that anyone would have had every right to do whatever was necessary to exit the deadly ambush, irrespective of the assailants' wishes to survive their predation.
    tcox4freedom likes this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links