So Carolina-3 Men Block Road. Shots fired at van. What would you do? - Page 6

So Carolina-3 Men Block Road. Shots fired at van. What would you do?

This is a discussion on So Carolina-3 Men Block Road. Shots fired at van. What would you do? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I thnk what some people just aren't getting is the BG's desire NOT to get hurt. IMHO; Actually having to run over the BGs in ...

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
Like Tree73Likes

Thread: So Carolina-3 Men Block Road. Shots fired at van. What would you do?

Distinguished Member Array tcox4freedom's Avatar
    I thnk what some people just aren't getting is the BG's desire NOT to get hurt.

IMHO; Actually having to run over the BGs in the road is not much of a worry. Most BGs are cowards and are seeking total submission from their victims. Once they see you are willing to run trough them with a 4,000+lb vehicle, I think most BGs will be diving for the bushes from whence they came!

-

I drive a Dodge Ram with a 6" lift and I have two young daughters. I'd just flip the highbeams on and floor it. And they would do....THIS!

If that fails, I've always got a .40 and .22 on the floor. Two very fast firing semiautos. I also drive a lot on back roads and there's a very troublesome trailer park near my home. One day I'm gonna buy it and evict every last one of them.

I wouldn't drive through them. I'd just stop, throw it in reverse, and go back the direction that I came. Heck, it could be three ninja superhero types trying to warn me that the road was out or the bridge was about to collapse. You just never know. If they attempted to pursue me, I would assume that they had some motive other than warning me of impending danger and take the appropriate action. Once again, you have to be cautious. They could just be overly agressive ninja vacuum cleaner salesmen with no identification working late to meet the quota of a demanding boss.
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

I'm a little late to the party here, but for those of you saying you'd throw it in reverse, have you ever actually tried to drive a vehicle fast in reverse, possibly around a corner, while it's pitch black out? Realize this was a country road with no street lights, and everyone knows reverse lights are pathetic. Who's to say that they aren't going to chase after you? I've driven my Subaru fast in reverse before. It's not easy. In my 30yr old Bronco on 35's, not going to happen. If you happen to be right next to a wide spot and can make a 3-point turn, depending on the distance between you and them, that might be your best bet.

All that said, I'd try to avoid them and get the car flipped around. Because that's most likely impossible in my truck, they'd be testing out my 3/8" plate steel bumper.
    tcox4freedom likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by A1Fiddler View Post
    I'm a little late to the party here, but for those of you saying you'd throw it in reverse, have you ever actually tried to drive a vehicle fast in reverse, possibly around a corner, while it's pitch black out? Realize this was a country road with no street lights, and everyone knows reverse lights are pathetic. Who's to say that they aren't going to chase after you? I've driven my Subaru fast in reverse before. It's not easy. In my 30yr old Bronco on 35's, not going to happen. If you happen to be right next to a wide spot and can make a 3-point turn, depending on the distance between you and them, that might be your best bet.

All that said, I'd try to avoid them and get the car flipped around. Because that's most likely impossible in my truck, they'd be testing out my 3/8" plate steel bumper.
    Yep, I've driven in reverse and honestly, I think I can outrun you. If you can run faster than I think you can, keep in mind when you catch me, I'm still armed.
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

I'm simply provoking thought here, not necessarily saying you're wrong. We don't know what the road conditions were is the point I was trying to get across.

Quote Originally Posted by A1Fiddler View Post
    I'm simply provoking thought here, not necessarily saying you're wrong. We don't know what the road conditions were is the point I was trying to get across.
    That's true. There are a lot of unknowns. My point is that if I could avoid a confrontation, I would try my best to do so. I think that's usually the best approach. Trouble will have to come looking for me. I won't seek it out.

Quote Originally Posted by mlr1m View Post
    This is what I would worry about. I have come across many folks who believe that it is perfectly permissible for them to block traffic when they are walking. Would be hard for me to tell if they are up to no good or just exercising their right to be stupid.

Michael
    Sounds like getting clipped by a vehicle would be a valuable learning experience for them. ;)

They'd get a rapidly approaching blast from the horn as a warning. South Carolina's laws consider an occupied vehicle as defensible as your home as part of the Castle Doctrine. Since it makes no mention whether the vehicle is in motion or not, I think that means that if one of them ends up on your hood, you're allowed to shoot him off as you're speeding away.

I'm not a lawyer though. :)

Distinguished Member Array tcox4freedom's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gene83 View Post
    Yep, I've driven in reverse and honestly, I think I can outrun you. If you can run faster than I think you can, keep in mind when you catch me, I'm still armed.
    You may be able to outrun him. But, you couldn't out run the bullets that he may be firing at you; while your head is turned trying to drive in reverse.

You can still drive faster "FORWARD"!

Once SA & avoidance has failed, creating distance and seeking the best possible cover are the number one priorities in a SD situation. Driving forward, through or around a roadblock (when possible), helps you accomplish this in the fastest & most proficient means possible. It also gets you OUT of the BGs sight picture in the fastest time.

You are a sitting duck the entire time you are driving in reverse!

Driving through allows you to keep your head low & get the farthest possiple distance away in the shortest amount of time!

BTW;
    I have been in a similar situation as a personal security officer. Back in the early 80's, I was involved in a attempted "hit" and I had to drive through/around a car & was shot at by the BGs. I made it through safe except for a few bullet holes in the back of the car.

-

Forget reaching for a weapon - if it's close, I'm pressing the pedal to the floor and aiming for COM. If I've got 30-40 yards, I'll look for other egress options.

Assault with a deadly weapon, maybe. But with a kid in the van? I'll take my prison time if it comes to that.

Quote Originally Posted by mlr1m View Post
    To put it more clearly. How does one differentiate between a group of idiots exercising their right to be stupid and a group of individuals that mean you harm.

Michael
    Perhaps the fact that they had their faces covered with masks might be an initial clue. . .
    Somewhere in the Pacific NW

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Links