An attack in Israel compared to the Aurora massacre

This is a discussion on An attack in Israel compared to the Aurora massacre within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; In 2008, a lone gunman murdered 8 young students at an Israeli school ( Mercaz HaRav massacre - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ) "The attacker ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: An attack in Israel compared to the Aurora massacre

VIP Member

In 2008, a lone gunman murdered 8 young students at an Israeli school (Mercaz HaRav massacre - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

"The attacker was stopped by two Israel Defense Forces officers who were former Mercaz HaRav students themselves: Yitzchak Dadon and Captain David Shapira, who both dealt the fatal blow to the attacker with their personal firearms".

In 2012, a lone gunman murdered 12 people and wounded 58 others at an Aurora Colorado movie theater. The attacker was not stopped by anyone in the theater.

However, according to the Daily Mail (James Holmes: Gunman used police evidence bags as hand puppets as mother admits she had feared he was disturbed for years | Mail Online), "Torrence Brown, Jr. was in the cinema and one of his friends, 18-year-old A.J. Boik, was killed in the massacre. He plans to file a lawsuit and will name the theater, for not properly securing the emergency exit, and Holmes’ doctors, for allegedly prescribing medications, as defendants. The law suit will also name the studio Warner Brothers, claiming that Dark Knight Rises is too violent."

In Israel, people are given licenses to carry firearms (although, the right to carry is very limited) and, more often than not, are able to end an attack and stop the perpetrator. No one sues anyone after an attack.

In the U.S., there will be hand-wringing over too many guns and lawsuits blaming everyone for the murderer's violence. Instead, we need more guns in the hands of law-abiding citizens who are trained on how and when to use them. And we need fewer lawsuits.

To Mr. Brown - your lawsuit is an insult to your friend and the other victims. You had no problem going to see the so-called violent movie. Stop trying to enrich yourself at the expense of the victims and their families.
    Ben

Cogito, ergo armatum sum. I think, therefore I am armed. (Don Mann, The Modern Day Gunslinger; the ultimate handgun training manual)

"Torrence Brown, Jr. was in the cinema and one of his friends, 18-year-old A.J. Boik, was killed in the massacre. He palns to file a lawsuit and will name the theater, for not properly securing the emergency exit and Holmes’ doctors, for allegedly prescribing medications, as defendants. The law suit will also name the studio Warner Brothers, claiming that Dark Knight Rises is too violent."
    There we go again. No one was taking care of us. Sue 'em, even the movie studio for making the movie. I'm going to be sick.
    Rock and Glock likes this.

Gun sales up 47% in Colorado.............also CCW Permit Apps.

There is no guarantee that a permitted carrier could have stopped the massacre. But at least they would have had a fighting chance.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

One of the most impressive things I have ever saw was a store tape in Israel. There was a young woman shopping and the clerk. Some guy ran in screaming. The shopper drew her gun and shot him in the head. He was a bomber getting ready to light himself and everyone around him up. She ended the threat by shooting him, close range, in the head.

It is the perfect example of being the right person in the right place at the right time.

Then I think of the poor woman at the Lubies Cafeteria in Texas a few years ago. She watched as some loon shot people...including her mother and father. She left her firearm in the car that day....following the "rules" of Lubies.

This is a perfect example of being the right person...in the right place....at the right time....without the tools to act.
    That turns all the "rights" in the prior sentence to "wrongs".
    Last edited by Rock and Glock; July 26th, 2012 at 11:07 PM.
    sdprof, lordofwyr and mprp like this.
    A woman must not depend on protection by men. A woman must learn to protect herself.
    Susan B. Anthony
    A armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one has to back it up with his life.
    Robert Heinlein

Quote Originally Posted by xXxplosive View Post
    Good. Means people are learning.

Senior Member Array GeorgiaDawg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by xXxplosive View Post
    I plan on going to the LGS in Denver in a few weeks. I'm sure it'll be even more crowded than usual.
    "For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast." - Ephesians 2:8-9

“The purpose of the law is not to prevent a future offense, but to punish the one actually committed” - Ayn Rand

Heck even here in maine its gone up. I was at Cabelas today and the firearms manager told me that since the CO shooting they have sold over 125 pistols. :-) people are starting to get it!

Senior Member Array GeorgiaDawg's Avatar
    IRTT: I have a friend whose wife is from Israel and she married my friend and moved to the US, where she promptly discovered she was more afraid to walk around here because she doesn't see people with guns everywhere like in Israel. While in Israel, she knew that she was better protected because if someone started shooting, 15 others would be shooting back.
    "For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast." - Ephesians 2:8-9

“The purpose of the law is not to prevent a future offense, but to punish the one actually committed” - Ayn Rand

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 1911247 View Post
    ...people are starting to get it!
    Except the high profile people who have armed bodyguards and who rail against guns any chance they get (Bloomberg for example).
    Rock and Glock likes this.
    EDC - M&P Shield .40, Ruger P90, OR Ruger SR1911 CMD AND
    Ruger LCP in Desantis Pocket Holster (backup)
    Member - SAF, OFF,
    NRA Life Member

While on a WESTPAC/MED run back in '95/96, I had the wonderful adventure of getting a liberty port in Haifa for Christmas. It was an intresting place. At a bank one morning, while in line to get some cash exchanged, the lady in front of me couldn't find her bank card, ID, or whatever..... so she dumps the contents of her purse on the counter and the bank teller and lady start 'sifting' through her stuff, lipstick, various papers, reciepts, a Beretta and spare mag, loose change,...... and FINALLY her card! (silly chicks)

Had breakfast at a little cafe, Sittn' there waiting for our food I naturally began looking around....... I was surrounded by various men and wemmen, white and blue-collar types, only noticed a few of 'em wern't heeled.

My wristwatch had stopped prior to pulling in...... needed a new battery. "Well, there's a 'watch store in the Scud Mall" our taxi driver told us. Walking around there were soliders carrying their FML's (I think), a mother with her child in a stroller and an Uzi underneath the baby in one of the 'kangaroo poutches', the dude tending the 'watch store' had his own FML (I think) propped up in a corner behind the counter and Beretta in a SOB holster........

I could go on. Those people lived with the threat of terrorism on a daily basis, and they didn't stand for it if they could help it.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgiaDawg View Post
    IRTT: I have a friend whose wife is from Israel and she married my friend and moved to the US, where she promptly discovered she was more afraid to walk around here because she doesn't see people with guns everywhere like in Israel. While in Israel, she knew that she was better protected because if someone started shooting, 15 others would be shooting back.
    That's about as good a definition of deterrence as anything else: the fair likelihood (near certainty?) of a criminal being unable to escape/survive a violent attempt on the lives of others ... practically applied, by the citizen on the street, nearly every citizen you meet. Just the way it should be, IMO, a "hardening" that makes it difficult on heavy-handed authoritarian regimes, invaders and common street thugs alike.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

As I said in another thread, maybe victims of violent crimes in Detroit should sue MGM and the late Orion Pictures because Robocop was very violent and poorly represents the city. Maybe it even encourages crime in Detroit, that and that pawn show on TV.

No offense to the residents of Detroit.

But yea its totaly the movies fault that a grown man working on a doctoral degree was influenced by what it shows.
    "The thing about quotes on the internet is that you can not confirm their validity."
    -Abraham Lincoln

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky. dangerous animals."
    -Agent K

Get 'em while you can people! Get 'em while you can.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

Distinguished Member
    Cuz if you're not rich, you haven't sued enough people...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links