Encounter this morning

Encounter this morning

This is a discussion on Encounter this morning within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; At 5:30AM as I was about to exit my suite and into the lobby, I notice 2 unkempt looking males that were loitering about sitting ...

Thread: Encounter this morning

Distinguished Member Array Jason Storm's Avatar

Encounter this morning

At 5:30AM as I was about to exit my suite and into the lobby, I notice 2 unkempt looking males that were loitering about sitting and sleeping there. And they reeked of body odor too. After I locked my door, I glanced at them from a reasonable distance (didn't have my CC pistol with me since I im in the Navy and work on base and carrying guns there is Federal offense and a career ender/ only personal defense weapons I have and is legally allowed to carry are my Spyderco Endura IV tactical knife and Surefire 6P Defender tactical light) as I walked by. Didn't talk to, confront them or stared at them menacingly but I did use some eye contact to make them know I noticed them. As I went to my car and parked in a different parking lot, I called the dispatcher for the VA Beach Police and gave him the information on the suspicious guys as well as their exact location. Also had him tell the officer to check the front door afterwards for any forced entry. Then I left the message at the leasing office of my apartment and told them what is going on and told them to get their security guard or mantenance man to check the area where those guys were loitering and also had him again check the front door of my suite for any forced entry. I also gave the dispatch/landlord my phone number in case they have to notify me that a forced entry occured at my residence. Last I heard that the guys loitering over there were field interviewed and given a warning not to come back or risk getting arrested. I am going to let my other adjacent neighbors know about them when I see them after I arrive home from work.

More eyes, greater awareness, involvement of the landlord/security (and LEO where necessary) ... All of those steps should help.

Of course, they both know they were field contacted after having seen you see them, and they saw you get into your car. Caution, for awhile, in case it turns out they're somewhat less than happy about being checked.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Keep your eyes open
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

Quote Originally Posted by rammerjammer View Post
    Keep your eyes open
    Always aware the moment I left the door and preparing for the worse. For now, there is no forced entry in my place and I have not seen them again. But I am prepared to file a report if there is a break-in or attempted assault. Tomorrow I will have my H&K USP .40, pepper spray, Surefire C2 Centurion flashlight, and Spyderco Endura IV knife as personal protection items since I will be heading over to the martial arts training center working out in the morning (I go back home again to take a shower afterwards and lock away my 2 handguns before going to work at the Naval Base). Also after I did my 5 mile run late afternoon, I also informed 2 of my adjacent neighbors about the 2 men loitering around the lobby and told them to keep and eye out and report them. Even gave my chain of command a heads up about the situation.

So far, it was all normal this morning at my apartment despite carrying my H&K USP .40 in a fannypack as I was heading to the Ringside Martial Arts and Fitness Center to do my workouts on the heavybag. And it remain the same when I returned back afterwards. All I can do is hope for the best but remain vigilant, as always.

Did you ever hear back from the police? Is the front lobby door locked at all times? If so, then they were trespassing and it probably would have been better to call the police right away.
    Ben

Cogito, ergo armatum sum. I think, therefore I am armed. (Don Mann, The Modern Day Gunslinger; the ultimate handgun training manual)

Glad you were in Condition Yellow and took the time to recognize the possible threat. Our brain is our best weapon, sounds like you aimed yours pretty well. Well done.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Jason Storm,
    May have been changed since 2004, but our base allowed personal weapons aboard. Just had to notify gate guard and have put in base or security armory until you left base. Probably changed since Ft Hood shooting. Alternatively could you secure one in lockbox in your vehicle and park in a location off base, then walk on?
    RIP Jeff Cooper

Distinguished Member Array Arborigine's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 1911srule View Post
    Alternatively could you secure one in lockbox in your vehicle and park in a location off base, then walk on?
    Good luck there. In San Diego i worked as a machinist in a shipyard for a while. Any car parked nearby was broken into daily. We all drove beaters and left the doors unlocked and wind-wings open. They still broke windows to steal old radios.
    I don't always have nothing to say, but when I do, I post it on Facebook.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Arborigine View Post
    Good luck there. In San Diego i worked as a machinist in a shipyard for a while. Any car parked nearby was broken into daily. We all drove beaters and left the doors unlocked and wind-wings open. They still broke windows to steal old radios.
    HA! BTDT! I had to park off base at 32nd street for a while. We had BOTH front widows broken and not at the same time. The second guy broke the passenger window without even noticing that the drivers side window wasn't even there. The first thief took our radio and car battery. So after that I'd carry my battery into work with me. I have no idea what the second thief thought he would get because we never replaced the radio.

The only way to keep from getting robbed was to leave nothing of value for them to take.
    I haven’t heard any of the journalists who volunteered to be waterboarded asking to have their fingernails wrenched out with pliers, or electrodes attached to their genitals.

First of all I would like to thank the OP and any other veterans for their service.
    Now my rant, We have people in the services who can be responsible for many lives or millions of $ worth equipment. But They are not allowed to be armed for their own protection.
    What can we do about this?

I for one think federal employees should be able to carry in their workplace(properly permitted of course).

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by crewdog View Post
    First of all I would like to thank the OP and any other veterans for their service.
    Now my rant, We have people in the services who can be responsible for many lives or millions of $ worth equipment. But They are not allowed to be armed for their own protection.
    What can we do about this?

I for one think federal employees should be able to carry in their workplace(properly permitted of course).
    Major annoyance for me since I am frequently on base, the only way to change it will be to get congress to get off their duffs and change the law. I really do not foresee that happening time soon.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Quote Originally Posted by 1911srule View Post
    Jason Storm,
    May have been changed since 2004, but our base allowed personal weapons aboard. Just had to notify gate guard and have put in base or security armory until you left base. Probably changed since Ft Hood shooting. Alternatively could you secure one in lockbox in your vehicle and park in a location off base, then walk on?
    To do that, it would require written permission from the base commanding officer. As far as parking in a location off base, forget it, since off base parking is about 12 miles away from my workplace. Otherwise, I leave my guns at home locked up and I carry my knife and light.

Quote Originally Posted by BenGoodLuck View Post
    Did you ever hear back from the police? Is the front lobby door locked at all times? If so, then they were trespassing and it probably would have been better to call the police right away.
    Front lobby door is always open. And, I also heard back from dispatch that the rif-raff were interviewed, given a warning, and then sent on their way. We have an armed roving patrol but only works on daytime hours. Currently, it's all hunky dory as usual.

Sponsored Links